Sponsored

CAN Hybrid XL hybrid review / mods (4000km)

avane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Impreza 5-dr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick CAN Hybrid XL hybrid review / mods (4000km) IMG_7099.JPEG

(Truck fits a baby no problem)

Canadian (Toronto) Mav XL Hybrid delivery and review at 4000kms:

(Ordered Nov 2021 )

(Build date - May 2022)

(Delivery - June 2022)

Delivery was smooth. Dealer (Donway Ford) honored price and rates when I ordered.

Only issues (and honestly I would not have known this if I wasn’t part of this group):

-missing the antenna

-tires were over inflated (42-45 PSI?!)

-missing touchlink bed lights.(had to bring back to install another day)

*I think that’s the caveat with new models, PDIs are a crapshoot with technicians inexperienced with them.

Initial Review
This group has enabled me to be fully prepared on what to expect/change with the maverick. It's been a long wait for worth it. I hope some of this is useful for people on the fence and also for those who are planning on what to do with their truck when they receive it. As a background, I am a father of a 5year old and 22month baby. My wife and I are relatively tall (5'-10" and 5'-9") so I will admit that legroom was a concern especially with our baby in a rear facing car seat BUT it has been ok! It's not luxury but it's also not cramped. People have been complaining about cheap interior and all that with the consistent response being "you get what you pay for" but I am totally happy with what I got regardless of price. I'm coming from much older cars (2012 and 2011) so anything is nicer and I am perfectly content with lack of luxury. I just don't want anything to break and I'm happy.

Drive
Firstly, loving the fuel economy! This is my first hybrid so I would assume that any hybrid would make me happy, lol. Acceleration and handling is spiffy and drives like a SUV. I'm still getting used to the sizing of the car as I'm coming from a Chevy Malibu/Subaru Impreza. I've been driving this truck as any father of 2 young kids would....school/camp/daycare drop off/kids activities...so have not been able to test it fully. I don't even think think I've accelerated hard enough that it goes over 50% power output yet..lol. We've gone on 2 road trips (about 3hrs each time) and it's smooth sailing. No cruise control is not a bother for me because I barely use it. As I said in the paragraph above, comfort was a concern initially but it's been fine. I might look into getting some seat covers later but not in a rush.

Electronics
I will admit that I am still a bit on edge about the Hybrid wiring harness. I know it's only a small percentage of issues but I would be really mad if I experienced a battery issue on a long road trip with my kids in the car. The touchscreen has not been glitchy(yet) but I have experienced on 2 occasions where the audio goes quiet for a second and then the volume shoots up for a moment, scaring the crap out of us. Hopefully that doesn't become a pattern.
Everything else in the car runs well. I'm also surprised I got the temperature dial display as I know Ford was skipping non-essentials of a lot of things to expedite delivery.

Ford Maverick CAN Hybrid XL hybrid review / mods (4000km) IMG_7171.JPEG

Summary
Overall, there's nothing to complain about. I would recommend this truck wholeheartedly to anyone who is in the market for a hybrid simply because of the price. I honestly feel like if you're a family, you can always use the extra space (and cost savings) so save those extra thousands to invest in your kids (did anyone say that kids were cheap?). Sure, I live in Canada and its a FWD but with snow tires, it's going to be fine. There's been only 1-3 days where I legit needed my subaru last year so I'll settle for having less performance and less mechanical parts to deal with as a result (less maintenance)

The elephant in the room for some are the steelies. Am I going to change them? No. Are they kind of ugly? I guess to some they are but I'm ok with it and I still like to turn around and look at my truck when I walk away :p When I switch to winters, I might get another set of steelies too because again, they're fine for what they do. Even though I like the look overall and I know steelies can be a bit ghetto, I'm not trying to impress anyone here and I simply take this vehicle as something I can go from A to B with my family, be reliable, carry a decent amount of stuff, and be good on gas (i'm not going electric yet because its expensive for me). I'm really happy Ford brought this vehicle into the market.

Another thing that was funny was that I guess during the build process, they're doing it so fast that they dont even bother to take off the tags off of a lot of the parts. I still can see shocks and other components with white tags on them...shows how FAST they're going, unless this is the norm
Ford Maverick CAN Hybrid XL hybrid review / mods (4000km) IMG_7167.JPEG

Anyways, next on my list of add-ons!

Here's a list of things I ordered with the factory with notes and after-factory mods

From the factory:

XL Hybrid

SIBL
-getting after market seems like a better idea because there's a lot more coverage (I've seen Line-x spray ins and it has way better surface coverage)

Hard Rollup Tonneau
-I like this for it's design and coverage.
-I wish I knew this wasn't the best in winter. There are reviews that this roll up freezes up and doesn't roll properly in the winter.
-Solution right now is to spray waterproof silicone spray on the all the joints and connection points and see how it holds up when the snow comes
Trailer hitch

Touch link lumens bed light
-this is pretty cool but not worth it in my opinion. I also thought I was supposed to get 4 lights but 2 is plenty. Regardless, kind of a rip off though.

After delivery mods:

Tailgate assist
-no brainer, I wish I got this upon delivery when I realized how nice this feature was.

Reverse tail lights LED
-I plan on changing some other lights to LED but for now, the reverse ones are there just to make sure visibility is poppin when I reverse at night, lol

Bed storage cubbies (both sides)
-love the utilitaian aspect of this! So many random things I can put in!

Ford Maverick CAN Hybrid XL hybrid review / mods (4000km) IMG_7169.JPEG

OEM splash guards
-Because I'm too cheap to buy Rokblokz and living in Canada, there are way too many fees to pay

Truxseal strips for roll up(water still leaks unfortunately but not crazy)
-I think this helped a little but there is still leaking. I placed it along the top of the tailgate

Ford Maverick CAN Hybrid XL hybrid review / mods (4000km) IMG_7168.JPEG

Krown rust protection
-this dripped like a mother. there's your warning

Bed rail anchor hooks
-just a few more anchor points to randomly use. I got some clipping bungee cords to haul all them kid stuff (occasional big items but who we kidding, I ain't got time to do real truckin')

Paint protection film (full front)
-too many stories about rock chips and even though I dont go off roading, it's peace of mind.

TuxMat floor liners
-this a future purchase when they're released. the ones that come from Ford suck esp in the front!

Ratcheting cargo bar
-useful as a divider in the truck if you dont want to use 2x4s.

Bike Hitch
-Mo kids, mo stuff, mo space needed.

Anyways, feel free to message or comment if you have any follow up questions
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice, another Canadian with good taste in colour. ;) Just hit 2k km today, so a little behind you. Might want to put some kind of protection between the paint and the OEM mud flaps, put them on myself a few weeks after getting the truck and the back ones are rubbing the paint. Thinking of using some of the stuff they make for protecting the edges of doors.

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander,Outlook,S10,1968Camaro,22Maverick.hybri
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG_7099.JPEG

(Truck fits a baby no problem)

Canadian (Toronto) Mav XL Hybrid delivery and review at 4000kms:

(Ordered Nov 2021 )

(Build date - May 2022)

(Delivery - June 2022)

Delivery was smooth. Dealer (Donway Ford) honored price and rates when I ordered.

Only issues (and honestly I would not have known this if I wasn’t part of this group):

-missing the antenna

-tires were over inflated (42-45 PSI?!)

-missing touchlink bed lights.(had to bring back to install another day)

*I think that’s the caveat with new models, PDIs are a crapshoot with technicians inexperienced with them.

Initial Review
This group has enabled me to be fully prepared on what to expect/change with the maverick. It's been a long wait for worth it. I hope some of this is useful for people on the fence and also for those who are planning on what to do with their truck when they receive it. As a background, I am a father of a 5year old and 22month baby. My wife and I are relatively tall (5'-10" and 5'-9") so I will admit that legroom was a concern especially with our baby in a rear facing car seat BUT it has been ok! It's not luxury but it's also not cramped. People have been complaining about cheap interior and all that with the consistent response being "you get what you pay for" but I am totally happy with what I got regardless of price. I'm coming from much older cars (2012 and 2011) so anything is nicer and I am perfectly content with lack of luxury. I just don't want anything to break and I'm happy.

Drive
Firstly, loving the fuel economy! This is my first hybrid so I would assume that any hybrid would make me happy, lol. Acceleration and handling is spiffy and drives like a SUV. I'm still getting used to the sizing of the car as I'm coming from a Chevy Malibu/Subaru Impreza. I've been driving this truck as any father of 2 young kids would....school/camp/daycare drop off/kids activities...so have not been able to test it fully. I don't even think think I've accelerated hard enough that it goes over 50% power output yet..lol. We've gone on 2 road trips (about 3hrs each time) and it's smooth sailing. No cruise control is not a bother for me because I barely use it. As I said in the paragraph above, comfort was a concern initially but it's been fine. I might look into getting some seat covers later but not in a rush.

Electronics
I will admit that I am still a bit on edge about the Hybrid wiring harness. I know it's only a small percentage of issues but I would be really mad if I experienced a battery issue on a long road trip with my kids in the car. The touchscreen has not been glitchy(yet) but I have experienced on 2 occasions where the audio goes quiet for a second and then the volume shoots up for a moment, scaring the crap out of us. Hopefully that doesn't become a pattern.
Everything else in the car runs well. I'm also surprised I got the temperature dial display as I know Ford was skipping non-essentials of a lot of things to expedite delivery.

IMG_7171.JPEG

Summary
Overall, there's nothing to complain about. I would recommend this truck wholeheartedly to anyone who is in the market for a hybrid simply because of the price. I honestly feel like if you're a family, you can always use the extra space (and cost savings) so save those extra thousands to invest in your kids (did anyone say that kids were cheap?). Sure, I live in Canada and its a FWD but with snow tires, it's going to be fine. There's been only 1-3 days where I legit needed my subaru last year so I'll settle for having less performance and less mechanical parts to deal with as a result (less maintenance)

The elephant in the room for some are the steelies. Am I going to change them? No. Are they kind of ugly? I guess to some they are but I'm ok with it and I still like to turn around and look at my truck when I walk away :p When I switch to winters, I might get another set of steelies too because again, they're fine for what they do. Even though I like the look overall and I know steelies can be a bit ghetto, I'm not trying to impress anyone here and I simply take this vehicle as something I can go from A to B with my family, be reliable, carry a decent amount of stuff, and be good on gas (i'm not going electric yet because its expensive for me). I'm really happy Ford brought this vehicle into the market.

Another thing that was funny was that I guess during the build process, they're doing it so fast that they dont even bother to take off the tags off of a lot of the parts. I still can see shocks and other components with white tags on them...shows how FAST they're going, unless this is the norm
IMG_7167.JPEG

Anyways, next on my list of add-ons!

Here's a list of things I ordered with the factory with notes and after-factory mods

From the factory:

XL Hybrid

SIBL
-getting after market seems like a better idea because there's a lot more coverage (I've seen Line-x spray ins and it has way better surface coverage)

Hard Rollup Tonneau
-I like this for it's design and coverage.
-I wish I knew this wasn't the best in winter. There are reviews that this roll up freezes up and doesn't roll properly in the winter.
-Solution right now is to spray waterproof silicone spray on the all the joints and connection points and see how it holds up when the snow comes
Trailer hitch

Touch link lumens bed light
-this is pretty cool but not worth it in my opinion. I also thought I was supposed to get 4 lights but 2 is plenty. Regardless, kind of a rip off though.

After delivery mods:

Tailgate assist
-no brainer, I wish I got this upon delivery when I realized how nice this feature was.

Reverse tail lights LED
-I plan on changing some other lights to LED but for now, the reverse ones are there just to make sure visibility is poppin when I reverse at night, lol

Bed storage cubbies (both sides)
-love the utilitaian aspect of this! So many random things I can put in!

IMG_7169.JPEG

OEM splash guards
-Because I'm too cheap to buy Rokblokz and living in Canada, there are way too many fees to pay

Truxseal strips for roll up(water still leaks unfortunately but not crazy)
-I think this helped a little but there is still leaking. I placed it along the top of the tailgate

IMG_7168.JPEG

Krown rust protection
-this dripped like a mother. there's your warning

Bed rail anchor hooks
-just a few more anchor points to randomly use. I got some clipping bungee cords to haul all them kid stuff (occasional big items but who we kidding, I ain't got time to do real truckin')

Paint protection film (full front)
-too many stories about rock chips and even though I dont go off roading, it's peace of mind.

TuxMat floor liners
-this a future purchase when they're released. the ones that come from Ford suck esp in the front!

Ratcheting cargo bar
-useful as a divider in the truck if you dont want to use 2x4s.

Bike Hitch
-Mo kids, mo stuff, mo space needed.

Anyways, feel free to message or comment if you have any follow up questions
I'm going to buy one of those small battery boosters to carry, just for peace of mind. I have one in my other car and have used it to help someone else jumpstart .

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Condolences on the passing of The Queen. An amazing Era. God save your truck from North American travails, challenges, and folly dear brothers.

Hkak45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So is the rear facing car seats super crammed in the back or is it not too bad?
Sponsored