Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevy Cruze
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wife is interested in starting to do some camping with our daughter. Haven't had a truck in almost 12 years so we didn't really have to possibility to do anything but tent camp. We are looking at campers and she loves the Coleman Lantern 17b camper. I'm concerned it is too heavy for my Mav. I have the 4k tow package but the Lantern dry weight is just under 3k. What is the max you guys would recommend for a dry weight?
Sponsored

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly, if the gross is under 5500 and you have experience pulling a trailer you will be fine. I towed a trailer that I weighed at a CAT scale to be 3580. Mine is a 1979 21 footer, I pulled it from southern North Carolina to Houston, about 1100 miles. The weight was no problem whatsoever. The wind was the only issue. I will link my thread below for reference. I will subscribe to see others opinions.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ent-trailers-in-9-days-over-3500-miles.25931/

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah on weight you are gonna just fine. But if you are planning on cross country type trips wind is gonna suck your mileage bigtime with that style. If you are doing warm weather camping they have some really badass pop ups that will possibly still keep your mileage in in the 20s.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
Undecided
Wife is interested in starting to do some camping with our daughter. Haven't had a truck in almost 12 years so we didn't really have to possibility to do anything but tent camp. We are looking at campers and she loves the Coleman Lantern 17b camper. I'm concerned it is too heavy for my Mav. I have the 4k tow package but the Lantern dry weight is just under 3k. What is the max you guys would recommend for a dry weight?
If you're looking to stay under 3,000 pounds, I found this list of some 'lightweight' camper options. Hope it helps!

https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-ba...ightweight-travel-trailers-under-3000-pounds/

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You will only find one used but they are pretty slick and barely affect fuel mileage. Try searching for HI-LO campers. Big box space, light weight, and low drag. Should maintain 20mpg or so.

Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would recommend the Scamp trailer. The 16 foot deluxe trim weighs 2200-2600 pounds, depending on the options you select. The only down side is the 1 to 1.5 waiting list.

Kofad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Bumping an old thread because I'm also looking at the Coleman 17b. It seems to just barely squeeze under the max tongue weight rating and at a little over 21ft, it's quite a chonker for such a small truck.

Did you end up trying it out? As far as I can tell it should be fine but first-hand experience would certainly be reassuring.
Sponsored