Slide in camper possible?

boulderbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq, Nissan Frontier
I am considering a Maverick Hybrid. I currently have a Nissan Frontier with a slide in camper. I realize a camper for the maverick would have to be small and lightweight. Does anybody have a feeling for whether a 600 lb. camper with a center of gravity approximately 8" behind the rear axle would handle. My current camper set up has a CG 2" behind the rear axle, and it handles fine. I do realize the Nissan is a heavier vehicle. Thanks. Thoughts?
Sponsored

austintown512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Lots of weight behind the rear axle on a FWD truck? Hope you are okay without stable steering, braking, or accelerating. The Maverick is probably the worst choice of truck for a slide in camper.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I dont know 600lb is not that big of a dent in the mavs payload. That and the tires are fairly far back I dont think weight is the issue as much as finding one that fits the small bed.

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am considering a Maverick Hybrid. I currently have a Nissan Frontier with a slide in camper. I realize a camper for the maverick would have to be small and lightweight. Does anybody have a feeling for whether a 600 lb. camper with a center of gravity approximately 8" behind the rear axle would handle. My current camper set up has a CG 2" behind the rear axle, and it handles fine. I do realize the Nissan is a heavier vehicle. Thanks. Thoughts?
The Maverick bed is only 4'5" You do the Math

OP
OP

boulderbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq, Nissan Frontier
If I recall correctly the manual says not to put a camper on the Maverick. I'd have to dig back into it to confirm that.
On page 253 of the Owner's manual it states "we do not recommend using your pickup for carrying a slide in camper". Not an outright prohibition.
Sponsored