First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's a great video of the standard AWD in action, with some different drive modes engaged and how it impacts the system. (Note this Mav has BFG KO3s on it):

That Mav had BFG Trail TAs, not KO3s. But it was informative and as I stated above it doesn't lock all wheels (or any) but as was demonstrated the rear wheels were doing a lot if not the majority of the work. I was just bringing out that the Mavericks aren't FWD until you have wheel spin. The system recognizes low traction as well and delivers power accordingly. I miss mechanical lockers in AWDs my old WRX would find traction almost anywhere without a computer or any sensors to worry about failing.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That Mav had BFG Trail TAs, not KO3s. But it was informative and as I stated above it doesn't lock all wheels (or any) but as was demonstrated the rear wheels were doing a lot if not the majority of the work. I was just bringing out that the Mavericks aren't FWD until you have wheel spin. The system recognizes low traction as well and delivers power accordingly. I miss mechanical lockers in AWDs my old WRX would find traction almost anywhere without a computer or any sensors to worry about failing.
Subaru does have a locked (55/45 split....actually your WRX might have used the 52/48) AWD system.

I think we're going back and forth on semantics but saying much the same exact thing. I'm not knocking the standard system, in fact it's quite great.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Toyota Venza (hybrid) and Rav4 Hybrids, both are AWD and both put power to the rear upon every launch from a stop sign or stop light and also predictively / preventatively when on an uphill climb.

Guess they figured it is better to prevent slip than detect it. Also, I would guess, this puts more even treadwear on the tires.

But it does not change the fact that the FWD hybrid Mav is super capable. I also towed plenty with my FWD Hybrid Escape. Was never longing for more traction. A few times I could have used additional power.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really can't see you having any issues with a 2000lb boat and a FWD Maverick on any kind of typical boat ramp. As long as the front wheels aren't on slime or something, should be a piece of cake.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Speaking of "slime" I once saw caterpillars stop a train.

Turns out smashed caterpillars on the rail are quite greasy.

Who knew? True story. Had to add sand to the caterpillar slime to get going again on an uphill section of track.