First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what the blue cone is on the full size spare tire. It has a split in it from top to bottom. I think it was just there for shipping and I removed it. I would hated to have discovered it on a dark rainy night while changing a flat tire. The tire will not come off the cable with the cone in place. It took a little bit of prying to remove it. There is also a heavy black cable along side the silver wire rope from the tire winch.

Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire IMG_20220524_135819205
Sponsored

OP
OP

mpc999

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My black cable was not connected to a nut on the lug bolt hole. It is connected to the center clamp with the spring with the winch wire rope. It would not come off as easy as shown in the UTube video.

OP
OP

mpc999

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My black cable was not connected to a nut on the lug bolt hole. It is connected to the center clamp with the spring with the winch wire rope. It would not come off as easy as shown in the UTube video.
I meant the blue cone would not have come as easy as shown on the video.

Mav101

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gm
Anyone else deal with this? Just was checking out the spare on my new truck so Iā€™m informed before i may need to be and wow is it hard to remove the blue cone

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have two thoughts:

This double connect process is new to me.

1) do spare tires ever fall off? I've never seen or heard of it, but it could happen

2) is this a form of anti-theft device?

While a bit of a PITA it kinda kills two birds with one stone right?

Unless I'm literally an hour from nowhere, I'm calling roadside assistance and so would my wife.
šŸ˜Ž

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reviving this older thread vs. starting a new one since itā€™s the same topic, in particular, the blue cone being a beast to remove off two cables. This could make for a real mess for someone who has a flat tire and suddenly finds themselves in an even bigger bind.

Iā€™m really not getting the point of the blue cone, or the far thicker heavy duty security-like cable (not the winch cable) bolted on to the winch. Iā€™ve seen a few variations of how these Mav spare tires are suspended under the truck and seems to be tied to ā€œdonut spareā€ vs. ā€œfull size spareā€ (which is still NOT full size). My version is the same as the original posterā€™s, blue cone with BOTH cables going through the center of the cone.

The youtube video is different, showing only the (much thinner) winch cable going through the cone, and the larger cable going to a bracket with a single lug nut and stud on it. Mine does not use the nut/stud, thankfully.

But with both cables going through the cone, it is VERY hard to get the cone off the larger cable. The cone does not want to pry open that far, and pretty much requires a tool to pry it open. Canā€™t imagine trying to do this on the side of the road without ever trying it out ahead of time!

thinking I might cut the slit wider on the cone so it isnā€™t as tough. Or do without the cone altogether, as mine seems to have the ā€œtypicalā€ metal plate I would otherwise expect to use to pass through the center hub/hole before hoisting the tire back

Wondering what others have done too. The ownerā€™s manual makes no mention of the cone, two cables, etcā€¦ and I searched for ā€œblue coneā€ and only found this thread (about 1 1/2 years old and this is still a problem on late build 2023ā€™s like mine).

Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire IMG_2419

Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire IMG_2418

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2022 XL was built in late 2021... only one cable goes through the blue cone.
Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire t1

Danzig

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2022 XL was built in late 2021... only one cable goes through the blue cone.
t1.jpg
My 23ā€™ with ā€œfull size spareā€ also has one cable. I easily removed it with just my hands šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™ll have to take a pic of mine from another angle. Itā€™s like the original posterā€™s, but does not include your bracket with a stud/lug nut.

Sponsored

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I should have posted my other photo, too, showing the cables without the "full size" spare.
I had too much practice changing my tires last year with two flats a couple weeks apart.
The reason I mentioned my build date (around 10/2021) is perhaps Ford changed the cables later?
Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire t1

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The blue cone is to stop scratches from being made from the metal on metal from the center hanging point.

I went to a matching full size spare and had no problem removing the factory tire and installing the full size one. You do need to lift the tire up to pull the blue cone off and put it back on.

This works the same as other trucks I have had.

If your truck has the safety lug nut it can be removed before lowering the tire to make that step easier but many donā€™t have a bracket that has a lug nut or stud, the safety cable goes to the center for those trucks.

Last edited:

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what Iā€™m talking about. I donā€™t have a bracket that has a lug nut or stud. My bracket also sits below the wheel and cone. Last photo is what it looks like assembled again. Yellow goop is Fluid Film.

I ended up cutting the slit in the cone about 1/8 inch wider via hack saw and sanded the cut edge smooth. WAY easier to take the cone on/off. The little winch line isnā€™t the problem. Itā€™s the big black safety cable that was tough to pry on/off the . In all of my three photos, the cone is already cut wider. It still takes a slight yank to get the black cable through, but not nearly enough to break a finger.

Ford didnā€™t even balance the spare tire. Iā€™ve got a hybrid with tow package, and I think I will put a TRUE full size spare on at some point 225/65R17, not this China Bomb special. Iā€™ve seen others complain of no clearance for a larger spare tire but I easily have about 1.5 inches clearance from the receiver hitch.

Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire IMG_2420

Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire IMG_2422

Ford Maverick Blue Cone on Full Size Spare Tire IMG_2429
Sponsored

Last edited: