2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm very familiar with that area, and last camped there around the time this video was shot. Many sections of the road are tight with huge drop offs (hundreds of feet) below into the valley.

Could he have pushed it? Maybe. But things up there will go wrong quick if you're not careful.

So for those from you from Iowa or some other flat part of the country, give this guy a break.
Sponsored

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/2001-best-snow-chains-4x4-pickup-trucks/

I would recommend a HD chain if you plan on any off road travel, but only off-road. I would recommend the highway cord style for slippery highway driving. The link above is the style I use.

Lesson learned for me, my 3/4 ton the tires are all oversized to the max that I have to remove the splash guards to have enough clearance for the chain. Anyone upsizing their tire should consider having 2”to 3” of clearance between the tire and finder low point. It might now be a problem for most, big AT tires never see off road conditions.

I wonder if a small ATV winch would be a nice addition to the Maverick? It’s about the same size as the new side by side rangers🤔

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
A lot of people are ragging on him for not gunning it, but he made the right call for safety of himself, the vehicle, and responders that would have to come if he slid off the trail and down an embankment.

He was in a new vehicle that he doesn't have a lot of seat time in, and the trail was covered in what ice-covered dirt/slushy mud? Right after the 29 minute mark, he backs up and hit the brakes a few times, the car slides back with all the wheels locked and the back-end creeps towards the embankment.

Given the off camber of the trail, the condition of the trail, and the hazards which includes a steep embankment, I wouldn't have pushed it either. Sometimes when you run a risk analysis in your head, the outcome just isn't worth the reward. I do wish he would've kept on the gas a little bit more when there was some tire slippage so the AWD system could figure it out, but I also understand his hesitancy given the conditions of the trail and being in a new vehicle.

With all that being said, I am a bit bummed that we didn't get to see the GX470 give it a go just so there was a comparison with a proper fourby in the same conditions. The GX470 is far more capable off-road than what the Maverick is so the combination of more flex and more aggressive tires would've been interesting to see. Nothing beats a Toyota running narrow muddies :cool: (my old GX470 pictured).

Ford Maverick AWD Maverick w/ BFG Trail Terrain tires tested on pavement, gravel, mud, rocks, snow [Driving Sports TV] 83841992_2165131576999095_5345262141911859200_n
Sponsored

Reactions: bgn