Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

can’t wait to see a winch as an aftermarket option. Agree, BFG KO‘s would perform better. a set of chains would have defeated this hill.

still for a small AWD, seems to be capable

FortyFiveNorthoods

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been curious if traction boards would have got him over that hump.

Comet71

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Comet 71
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mercury Comet
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree; I don't blame him for not pushing it. Losing a $30K vehicle to sliding off a trail like that would not be pretty.

I'm debating whether to get dedicated snow tires for my Maverick.. I never had to for my Subaru (we get a lot of snow around here, but most of the roads are plowed well); my first vehicle was a pickup with part-time 4WD and it was horrible in snow.

Two years ago I put new Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady (All Seasons but snow-rated) tires on my Subbie and they were great.
I'm in the same boat ... I just sold my 1999 pathfinder 4x4 DId great on snow and I really want to know if the MAV will do good in snow as the pathfinder. :cry:

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Ryan. Loved the video! I live in Ellensburg and have ridden that route on my motorcycle 8 or 10 times. Beautiful ride! The spot where you had to turn around is steeper and more difficult than the camera makes it appear. My Hot Pepper Red Maverick is supposed to be produced in two weeks. Even after I get it, I think I'll stick with the motorcycle over that stretch of the road.
I am crazy with CURIOUSITY as to "how they were able to turn around and return"???

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah but he is providing a service(off road review) that goal is not accomplished by babying the truck, that was a doable obstacle only seemed to require a little bit of "effort".

Why would someone willingly use an old vehicle and be uncomfortable while having fun(or trying anyways), is beyond me, that is like if someone told me to use an old phone or watch an old tv, to me that just sounds like masochisism but to each their own.
I can see your point on that... I guess I just don't have enough money to break the new truck. I definitely would enjoy a country dirt road on the maverick

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
I am crazy with CURIOUSITY as to "how they were able to turn around and return"???
Just back up and find or create a spot to turn around. A short rig with AWD can sometimes use the upper bank as real estate to make a 3 point turn.
That road he was on was on was not all that tight. I'm guilty of being an off road snob sometimes but that was not off roading.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah...it seemed a bit tighter than that - good enough

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I completely understand your point of view of not wanting to damage your vehicle, these guys are right in saying that Ryan did everything wrong when it comes to getting over this obstacle, anybody afraid of damaging their vehicle should never take it off the pavement, whether it is getting pinstriped by branches or having to be aggressive and possibly bottoming out your rig are the norm offroad and not even considered as real damage.

When to comes to mud and snow there is no crawling, you have to use momentum and wheel spin or you are going to get super stuck.
I totally get the offroading specific critiques. But I feel like if that's your hobby this isn't the right truck. At least not in stock form like this. And obv a whole seperate rig is best so you don't care about what you will drive to work if it rolls down a mountain. I do think there is a middle ground where you can go softly offroading to campgrounds/trail heads etc without expectation of "normal" offroad damage. Though that kind of thing was covered wellll before he got to that mud slide.

Sponsored

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree; I don't blame him for not pushing it. Losing a $30K vehicle to sliding off a trail like that would not be pretty.

I'm debating whether to get dedicated snow tires for my Maverick.. I never had to for my Subaru (we get a lot of snow around here, but most of the roads are plowed well); my first vehicle was a pickup with part-time 4WD and it was horrible in snow.

Two years ago I put new Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady (All Seasons but snow-rated) tires on my Subbie and they were great.
If you've been getting by with the subie I think you will be fine with decent all seasons. But with winter/snows it will be amazing. I live in a similar area and love the wrg4. basically just a light snow tire but it handles cold dry and highway driving better.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've run into that same sort of surface in the NW on a slope/mud and it can be difficult even with a locker. As soon as you compress the dirt down, the stuff underneath just goes to goo but then there is still a harder layer underneath, kind of like a melting ice cream sandwich with a soggy top and so it creates a weird suspended layer of mud. I've run into the same thing with my big truck/tires/locking and although I made it though the rear did slide out downhill on me which isn't a nice feeling.

I actually was hiking one time in the NW in early summer in the pass and I stepped on a trail with that same muddy stuff and it went to mush under my foot and I slipped then fell on my back on my pack and it acted like a sled and I slid down the trail a good 30 yards and almost off a cliff.

The Ford off road system doesn't impress me much though but fine for most of what you'd need in the little truck.

Chains would have been the best fix and he could have had them on and been through that in 5 mins.

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
I totally get the offroading specific critiques. But I feel like if that's your hobby this isn't the right truck. At least not in stock form like this. And obv a whole seperate rig is best so you don't care about what you will drive to work if it rolls down a mountain. I do think there is a middle ground where you can go softly offroading to campgrounds/trail heads etc without expectation of "normal" offroad damage. Though that kind of thing was covered wellll before he got to that mud slide.
Totally agree on the separate vehicle for off-roading, that is something I have been saying from the get go, I have been off roading for the pass 20 years, currently own a polaris SxS for that, so please don't misunderstand my critiques as me complaining about the maverick not being a "hardcore" off roader, I am well aware it is not.

As someone who off roads often and rock crawls several times a year at the OHV park in Gilbert MN I can tell you that when it was time to get across that mud pit everything he could do wrong he did.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've run into that same sort of surface in the NW on a slope/mud and it can be difficult even with a locker. As soon as you compress the dirt down, the stuff underneath just goes to goo but then there is still a harder layer underneath, kind of like a melting ice cream sandwich with a soggy top and so it creates a weird suspended layer of mud. I've run into the same thing with my big truck/tires/locking and although I made it though the rear did slide out downhill on me which isn't a nice feeling.

I actually was hiking one time in the NW in early summer in the pass and I stepped on a trail with that same muddy stuff and it went to mush under my foot and I slipped then fell on my back on my pack and it acted like a sled and I slid down the trail a good 30 yards and almost off a cliff.

The Ford off road system doesn't impress me much though but fine for most of what you'd need in the little truck.

Chains would have been the best fix and he could have had them on and been through that in 5 mins.
Chains are a great idea. Have a good brand or type in mind?

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Totally agree on the separate vehicle for off-roading, that is something I have been saying from the get go, I have been off roading for the pass 20 years, currently own a polaris SxS for that, so please don't misunderstand my critiques as me complaining about the maverick not being a "hardcore" off roader, I am well aware it is not.

As someone who off roads often and rock crawls several times a year at the OHV park in Gilbert MN I can tell you that when it was time to get across that mud pit everything he could do wrong he did.
Yeah even I could see that he might not have been an expert. But like I said that made the review even more authentic imo. If i had kids with me and I had drive to work on monday even attempting that obstical would have been a pass lol. And a good teachable moment about risk taking if you don't have the proper expertise in certain things lol
Sponsored