First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Thunderbird, 2018 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While reading the owners Manuel on page 189 I'm a bit confused on AWD and FX4.
I live on a dirt road and the driveway up to my house is on a steep gravel hill.
Will i be okay with just the AWD without causing it any damage or should i get the FX4 package? That's all the off road driving that i do. Also i plan on getting the tow package.
Sponsored

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
While reading the owners Manuel on page 189 I'm a bit confused on AWD and FX4.
I live on a dirt road and the driveway up to my house is on a steep gravel hill.
Will i be okay with just the AWD without causing it any damage or should i get the FX4 package? That's all the off road driving that i do. Also i plan on getting the tow package.
If it's just gravel, you'd be ok with a Civic. I'd assume normal AWD is all you need. However, if you have the money the FX4 does add a few handy features. I always say get more capability than you think you need, that way you kind of futureproof yourself for the day you might actually need it.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now that we have all had the unfortunate experience of watching the "Off-Road" videos, I'd say the standard AWD and Fx4 are equally horrid in off-road situations. The FX4 gets you tow hooks and a better radiator along with black wheels and a metal skid plate that needs to be removed just to do an oil change. The FX4 package is a good buy if you are NOT getting the 4K tow pack IMHO. If I bought the FX4 pack I would immediately remove the decals since it has no "off-road" prowess whatsoever

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You might *want* the FX4 package, but you certainly don't *need* it for dirt/gravel access roads.

It's clear the Maverick was never designed/intended to do any serious off-roading. Not sure why anyone would shocked about this.

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
You might *want* the FX4 package, but you certainly don't *need* it for dirt/gravel access roads.

It's clear the Maverick was never designed/intended to do any serious off-roading. Not sure why anyone would shocked about this.
I was shocked at how bad it was, I think it might have been the tires. I was hoping for near Subaru Forester ability. I know people said air down, or tires or whatever, but man that was sad. I hope some aftermarket helps. Watch ford offer a Timberline Maverick in like 4 months, after I finally get mine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nandark

Nandark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it's just gravel, you'd be ok with a Civic. I'd assume normal AWD is all you need. However, if you have the money the FX4 does add a few handy features. I always say get more capability than you think you need, that way you kind of futureproof yourself for the day you might actually need it.

OP
OP
Nandark

Nandark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to be sure I attached page 189 from the owners manuel, just to clarify my question.
Thanks for all y'all replies!
Ford Maverick AWD and FX4 Screenshot_20211012-101127_Adobe Acrobat

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was shocked at how bad it was, I think it might have been the tires. I was hoping for near Subaru Forester ability. I know people said air down, or tires or whatever, but man that was sad. I hope some aftermarket helps. Watch ford offer a Timberline Maverick in like 4 months, after I finally get mine.
What were you watching that was so shocking?

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Driving Sports TV video was great. The offroad did better than i expected, especially with the mediocre perelli's. Bronco Sport had better tires. And he didn't have to move rocks or call for a tow.

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB

Good answer. Agreed on both points.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I had to guess, probably this video:
lol.... Again, what would you expect from a vehicle with ~8" of ground clearance, a clutch-based AWD system with no ability to lock anything, and cr@p tires? All considered, I'd say it did quite well.

People see "AWD" and automatically think any vehicle with it should be a rock crawler.

There are many types of AWD systems, with advantages & disadvantages. The Maverick does NOT have an off-road biased system. Don't expect it to perform like it does. Common sense folks.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed, I thought it did well for what it is. Those expecting $800 will get them a real off-roader need to check out how much something with a real off-road package costs. Add another 0 to that $800 generally to start on other brands such as Jeep or Toyota trucks.

I would still get the FX4 living on a gravel road/hill but replace the stock tires with some bigger and more aggressive all terrains that are siped. The FX4 skid plates, hill descent control and added drive modes might just be enough to get by a bit better up and down that road in the winter. Since your planning on going AWD anyway, the added options isn’t that big of a hit at $800 anyway.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
AWD should get you there. As others have said, this is NOT an off-road mobile. So FX4 may be a waste of money. Because of this and the need for SPORT mode, I went Lariat.

Reactions: JJC

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me I want to pull something like a Rove Ultralight travel trailer to a campsite. For that I have the FX4/4k Tow package for the 10 weekends a year i'd like to be able to do so. That way I have a little bit of capability while taking the dirt roads experiencing mother nature but can also manage a light travel trailer. And I do mean light. I think they were showing it off towing a 16 foot Airstream and the GVWR on that is like 3400 pounds. No thanks. That's basically driver, 1 passenger plus empty/dry trailer at max payload. The Rove is like 1700 pounds dry and that's the sweet spot to me with this setup.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What were you watching that was so shocking?
What were you not? Did you watch he same video the rest of us did?

The FX4 package should have included the rear clutch packs the upgraded bronco sport has. There is NO excuse for it not to have this included.
Sponsored