Sponsored

Automatic license plate cover

polerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick Hybrid
(I know this isn't strictly lighting, but one suggestion I've received involved the lighting system)

I stream woodworking from my garage, and up until now I've just covered my license plates with a bit of wood propped on the tailgate. If I forgot to take it off prior to starting the car, it has the inherent featuer of falling off at the end of my driveway. That's not going to work with the Maverick, so I'm considering some options.

To be clear, I'm not trying to avoid red light cameras or tolls, I actively want to make sure the license plate is uncovered while driving, even though I would likely forget to remove it manually. In a perfect world, it'd deploy when the truck went to park, but I'm fine with manually deploying it when I go live, so long as it retracts automatically.

A friend suggested I check to see if the license plate illumination was on even during daytime, and use that as my activation and power.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Barbie Dream House Venetian blinds?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) 🤤

Sponsored

OP
OP

polerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick Hybrid
Barbie Dream House Venetian blinds?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) 🤤
honestly I was thinking about a bit of outdoor upholstery fabric, tensione with a spring and just roll it up when the power comes on. Need to figure out the electronics to say "don't roll up any more" but I have resources to help with that part ;P

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I dont get it. Avoiding redlight cameras I get, but hiding when parked at home? Whats the point? 5 mins on zillow and a county website can get someone half the information needed to steal your identity just by knowing what neighborhood you live in. Not to mention the fact that everyone with a cell phone is being datalogged all day long.

Just to give you an idea of my policy towards unwanted attention. If I see a drone, I show it a moon. If a helicopter flies over my house, I run outside naked to give em a waive.

Just seems like your fixing a problem that doesnt exist.🤷‍♂️

If you must do this I would pick up one of these and be done.
https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/prod...3_1641858264_0cec94f1c99badd1add6424f7f98d9b6

OP
OP

polerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick Hybrid
I dont get it. Avoiding redlight cameras I get, but hiding when parked at home? Whats the point? 5 mins on zillow and a county website can get someone half the information needed to steal your identity just by knowing what neighborhood you live in. Not to mention the fact that everyone with a cell phone is being datalogged all day long.

Just to give you an idea of my policy towards unwanted attention. If I see a drone, I show it a moon. If a helicopter flies over my house, I run outside naked to give em a waive.

Just seems like your fixing a problem that doesnt exist.🤷‍♂️

If you must do this I would pick up one of these and be done.
https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/prod...3_1641858264_0cec94f1c99badd1add6424f7f98d9b6
I'm live streaming on the net, meaning I have video cameras and people watching. There have been multiple instances of people getting swatted/doxed/etc while streaming, and I'm just trying to take basic safety precautions for cameras I control. And yes, I know about the data mining techniques using OSI.

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm live streaming on the net, meaning I have video cameras and people watching. There have been multiple instances of people getting swatted/doxed/etc while streaming, and I'm just trying to take basic safety precautions for cameras I control. And yes, I know about the data mining techniques using OSI.
Can't you just park the truck somewhere else while streaming, maybe on the street or off to the side? Or just throw a sheet over the hood.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know... I find the description on the website a little off-putting. :cautious:

"The license frame was made by high quality car board material, high intensity, never get rust. The cushion use aging-prevent army used canvas, can completely afford the sunshine, rain, frost and any high-low temperature or worse environment."

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
Amazon has a few different variations of this, none of them automatic, but it seems better than blocking the plate manually.

Also, double check your states laws before using one of these. I'm sure that, even if it's not outright illegal, is probably looked down on by law enforcement.

Dolity Electric Hidden License Plate Kit w/Remote Control, Hide-Away Shutter Cover Up

CatsupGladiator

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe try shining Infrared light on the license plate, cameras tend to pick this up as a Purple / Pinkish light, with how reflective the plate material is in my state I'd think the plate could be obscured. Try looking at the pointy end of a remote with your phone's camera and you'll see what I mean.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How about a black shower cap over your plate and a remove before flight streamer on your steering wheel as a part of your pre-shoot setup? No wiring needed...
Ford Maverick Automatic license plate cover 518hgWryhsL._AC_SL1000_

OP
OP

polerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick Hybrid
Can't you just park the truck somewhere else while streaming, maybe on the street or off to the side? Or just throw a sheet over the hood.

Not a lot of street parking in the subdivision unfortunately. The sheet might work, but honestly I'd prefer to solve the leaving trash in the street on accident problem too.

Amazon has a few different variations of this, none of them automatic, but it seems better than blocking the plate manually.

Also, double check your states laws before using one of these. I'm sure that, even if it's not outright illegal, is probably looked down on by law enforcement.

Dolity Electric Hidden License Plate Kit w/Remote Control, Hide-Away Shutter Cover Up
yeah this is aimed at people wanting to block while driving around, and I 100% know I'd forget to retract it before driving off, and yeah ... illegal where I am. ADHD problems, y'know :/

Maybe try shining Infrared light on the license plate, cameras tend to pick this up as a Purple / Pinkish light, with how reflective the plate material is in my state I'd think the plate could be obscured. Try looking at the pointy end of a remote with your phone's camera and you'll see what I mean.
I thought about this too, but it means the light has to be powered any time I want it blocked. I figure I could fall back to this solution if I can't figure out how to do it otherwise.

Tbh y'all, I'm mostly interested in knowing if the license plate light is lit during the daytime when the truck is on, or if you have any better ideas on how to trigger/power the action. I can figure out the mechanism, I don't think it'll be that difficult.

ETA: Oh hey, found this thread, might work.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...wire-your-device-to-the-accessory-power.4699/
Sponsored

Last edited: