First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're going Hybrid then trailer weight can be an issue unless you go with something lightweight.
Does the hybrid have a lower hitch received weight? I know this has been widely assumed, but I have never seen anything from Ford suggesting this and I don't see any mechanical differences in the hitch setup that would change the weight limit. I think it is more likely that the limit is 400 lbs across the lineup. Would love a definitive answer.
Sponsored

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was looking for good camping solutions also and I think tents are impractical for this type of truck. After some additional research, I'm leaning towards this style of camping; using a hitch hammock stand. It's not a tent, but it's an option.

bf2e80_845fced5bb944916bf91d35cc2e69698_mv2_d_4928_3264_s_4_2.jpg
Very cool!

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've considered same thing. 1/2 inch plywood would support any body across the width of the bed...trick is finding a tent wide and long enough. OR, put the platform across the top of the bed side rails then it's almost unlimited tent size. Critical part of your search is making sure insects and rain are blocked.

I'm still hoping one of the RACK manufacturers comes up with a tent that can go over the rack with water and insect protection. Which gets back to just get a regular tent and use the ground.
I just figured out that the Kodiak is too wide for the Maverick. I still want to find that style (using the tailgate) but unless Kodiak modifies for a less width, it won't be them.

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the hybrid have a lower hitch received weight? I know this has been widely assumed, but I have never seen anything from Ford suggesting this and I don't see any mechanical differences in the hitch setup that would change the weight limit. I think it is more likely that the limit is 400 lbs across the lineup. Would love a definitive answer.
I was told by a dealer that the rule of thumb is 10% of the tow weight. So if you're talking the hybrid, 200#. The regular truck would be 400#.

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was told by a dealer that the rule of thumb is 10% of the tow weight. So if you're talking the hybrid, 200#. The regular truck would be 400#.
That's how you are supposed to balance a trailer, but it is less helpful when talking about a hitch-mounted bike rack, for example. Is there any reason the hybrid would have a lower weight rating than the ecoboost when you ignore trailers?

Nobody seems to be able to give a straight answer on this. I've seen a lot of people guess that the answer is 200 lbs, but that's just a guess and doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. The hybrid has the same payload capacity and as far as I can tell the same mechanical mounting for the hitch. Why should it have a different weight rating?

The towing guide from Ford specifically says 400 lbs when properly equipped, but that's the only number I can find from Ford. Does properly equipped just mean it has a trailer hitch? Or does it require the 4K tow package? If it requires the 4K package, then what is the rating for non-4K Mavericks?

Sponsored

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do you think about something like this? It's a tonneau cover tent. I've literally been searching for weeks for this type of configuration:
Ford Maverick Anyone used a bed tent before? Screenshot_20211223-095409_Chrome

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Anyone used a bed tent before? Screenshot_20211223-093956_Chrome

tebman336

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been thinking about a Softopper - emailed them this week and they don't have a Maverick one yet. But they make an extension to go over the tailgate as a tent, combined with the topper that's 6'+ of bed space and likely under or close to $1000 for the topper and the tent. https://softopper.com/products/camper-top-tent/

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been thinking about a Softopper - emailed them this week and they don't have a Maverick one yet. But they make an extension to go over the tailgate as a tent, combined with the topper that's 6'+ of bed space and likely under or close to $1000 for the topper and the tent. https://softopper.com/products/camper-top-tent/
Anything that allows less setup/takedown time allows more fun camping time! I'm for it!!!

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every trailer hitch hammock stand I have read reviews on have had lousy reviews, but I have these for my hammock and they work great (I am a professional napper).
Ford Maverick Anyone used a bed tent before? E82A123D-02D6-4010-9CD1-F5E4222AE1AA

Just drive on them and you are set. Also pretty easy to turn a hammock into a swinging tent, they make big screens and rain tarps for them.
My camping is all done in a tent as my wife (who did not camp until her thirties) only has one demand…she needs to stand up to put her pants on…but we always have the hammocks with blankets and they are far nicer to sleep in than the tent most nights. Bed will probably get a soft topper and just house our gear.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been looking around for future Mav accessories I'd actually use and I've seen a lot of cool stuff, some appropriate for the Mav and some not.

I don't have any interest in campers because they are either really expensive or way too problematic to remove when not in use. I would be happy just to have a good truck bed tent with an awning or something. Usually I drive out to a nature preserve of some kind and set up my own tent so the truck will already help me greatly by having better cargo & clearance but why not just sleep in the bed instead of clearing a surface for your tent? Makes sense to me.

Anyway, if there exists a trailer under $2k that weighs <1,000lbs I'd look at it but otherwise I really just wanted to know what everyone's experience with bed tents were. Is this a forgotten category where all the products are essentially the same? Or are there a ton of cool products I'm missing online.

Otherwise I'm interested in camping accessories generally, if there's a good use for that 12v in the back I'm interested to hear it.
Check out the Sylvansport. If I had money laying around I'd buy one.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read somewhere they just need to borrow a Mav and they will start making them. If I had mine they would have it there for a bit for sure.

Kmbales

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid on order, Nissan versa hatchback
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...GYrEkNJLCvDFHQsdEJIaAnEgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would it be possible to take something like a basic trailer, the one I linked is bare bones, folding which is cool, and make it a tent setup? Just add plywood in this case, and make some sort of tent rig. Maybe a took box or something with all the supplies locked inside, then pitch a tent with an air mattress inside, and unhitch it when you wanna go out?

I almost got the rails and tent, but wanted a cover and to save the $3k+. Didn't think about breaking camp to drive around locally or the cost on fuel efficiency. I don't want to have a camper or anything, but I could deal with this type of trailer and set up.

Thoughts?

tebman336

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I read somewhere they just need to borrow a Mav and they will start making them. If I had mine they would have it there for a bit for sure.
I'm about an hour away from them - I offered, haven't heard back yet

Reactions: TCK

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm about an hour away from them - I offered, haven't heard back yet
Read somewhere they will give you one if you let them use your truck- keep hounding them! ;)
Sponsored