Sponsored

Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs?

csmith9058

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone tapped into the factory bed light to run aftermarket under rail LEDs so the bed lights and under rail lights all turn on and off with the inside and in-bed switches? Is it possible to tap into the factory bed light and still hide the wires? Or is it a bad idea to run the lights that way? I have zero experience with running aftermarket lights. I do have a toggle to mount in the bed, but having everything wired into the factory switches would be more convenient.
Now that I'm looking at it, maybe newer models could utilize the 2 auxiliary 12v hookups and a separate hookup that taps the factory switches for aftermarket lights. Just plug the lights in and use the existing factory switches. Would be way easier.
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford did put the two connectors in the bed for that kind of stuff, no reason to tie into the overhead brake light.

OP
OP

csmith9058

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford did put the two connectors in the bed for that kind of stuff, no reason to tie into the overhead brake light.
Not the overhead. The light that's mounted into the side of the bed. It has a switch on it already. Being able to tap that for my lights would save me having to mount a separate switch inside the bed. I understand wiring the toggle in is easy especially with the included pigtail, but there's already a light switch a foot away.lol

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not the overhead. The light that's mounted into the side of the bed. It has a switch on it already. Being able to tap that for my lights would save me having to mount a separate switch inside the bed. I understand wiring the toggle in is easy especially with the included pigtail, but there's already a light switch a foot away.lol
I believe that light is tied into the rear connectors, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP

csmith9058

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tomorrow I think I'm gonna see if there's a pass through between the factory light and where the auxiliary runs. If there is I'm gonna run my under rail lights off of the factory lights. They're right next to each other.

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? 20220103_193100

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? 20220103_193056

Sponsored

OP
OP

csmith9058

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You'd have to check the manual for how many amps can run on each of those connectors, but some LED light strips shouldn't overload it.
Kinda what I was thinking. Now if ford just added another pigtail just for lights that ran off that switch!lol

Deleted member 9167

If you get under the truck on the driver side, you get a pretty good view of the factory wiring. I don't see why you couldn't tap in to the existing switch. Not sure of the load rating on that circuit...

Sponsored
OP
OP

csmith9058

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you get under the truck on the driver side, you get a pretty good view of the factory wiring. I don't see why you couldn't tap in to the existing switch. Not sure of the load rating on that circuit...
I'm gonna try to pull that whole panel out from the bed side tomorrow. Working for Ford I'm sure there's not an inch of extra harness behind there.lol should be interesting to see what I find.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tomorrow I think I'm gonna see if there's a pass through between the factory light and where the auxiliary runs. If there is I'm gonna run my under rail lights off of the factory lights. They're right next to each other.

20220103_193100.jpg

20220103_193056.jpg
When in doubt look for Ford's DIY video that shows you exactly how to run the wiring for the bed lights. The only thing I am hearing about that way is you have to turn the Ignition on for the switch to work in the back. Tapping directly into the 12 V system would be the way you would really want to do it

OP
OP

csmith9058

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When in doubt look for Ford's DIY video that shows you exactly how to run the wiring for the bed lights. The only thing I am hearing about that way is you have to turn the Ignition on for the switch to work in the back. Tapping directly into the 12 V system would be the way you would really want to do it
[/QUOTE
I just went and tried it. No keys in the truck, everything locked and the bed switch turns on the bed light and the overhead (3rd brake light). I'm just hoping my ignorance of this stuff makes it easier for everyone else to hack their trucks.

Last edited:

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I havent gotten my truck yet, but I plan on using cool white waterproof peel and stick 5630 LED light strips on both sides under the bed side lips. I have some nice insulated 2 conductor wire I will run down, across and back up to power the strip on the RH side.

I will also be adding this switch panel to the LH side stowage box lid and powering it with the wire tap coming in that ford graciously supplied. As far as lighting the bed up, once I get the truck I will be looking at where I can position a standard dome light pin switch so when I open the tailgate they automatically come on.

5630 peel n stick is the brightest most uniform color your going to get in this type of application. A 5 meter roll in many different colors is available all over evil bay for about $12.

I plan on adding additional LED lighting inside this truck too. White Under dash floor lighting tied to dome light circuit. I may mount some for rear floor lighting, and will definitely put one or 2 switched lights in the under rear seat cargo storage area.

Hope this helps

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? Screenshot_20220107-074221_eBay
Sponsored