Sponsored

Android Auto literally useless. Anyone else?

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can I just get a dang car with a radio?

Can someone tell me what the screen really does in these things? I have a phone that I use to make calls, it has a speaker button on it. I have no need for it to connect to my car. I also do not need navigation as I am no longer a OTR trucker. I live on an island and it is impossible to get lost. Even when I lived in Ohio I rarely ever needed a map to know where to go. If I did I would just look it up before I went so I can concentrate on driving.

Can anyone tell me what is so important about these in dash blinder screens that gets people so worked up about em. 5 pages on this thread? Show me a thread with 5 pages about the RDU on FX4 or even the mileage on battery only on the hybrid.

I've never had a flat screen phone and never intend to and it literally feels like I live in a world that is almost completely brainwashed by em.

I'm not some crotchety old guy who wants a dial needle on his radio, just give me something with a flip down face and a cd player so I can rock White Zombie and Smashing Pumpkins cds that I got from the mall in 1997!
Just wondering, do you understand what the connectivity does for you? Hands free calling for starters. That ability to take a call, safely, while driving is priceless. I notice Bluetooth turns on automatically, on the phone, when I get in the truck. Pretty handy to be able to do that, hands free calling, with or without Android Auto.

I notice the music quality, streaming YouTube music from the phone thru Android Auto, sounds better than from FM. Haven't tried Spotify.

Maverickman74, if the Apple Carplay/Android Auto experience, streaming music and podcasts, etc. isn't for you, no problem, but for lots of folks, NOT being able to do this on a new vehicle would be a deal breaker.

Maybe it's time to join the Borg collective ;)
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just wondering, do you understand what the connectivity does for you? Hands free calling for starters. That ability to take a call, safely, while driving is priceless. I notice Bluetooth turns on automatically, on the phone, when I get in the truck. Pretty handy to be able to do that, hands free calling, with or without Android Auto.

I notice the music quality, streaming YouTube music from the phone thru Android Auto, sounds better than from FM. Haven't tried Spotify.

Maverickman74, if the Apple Carplay/Android Auto experience, streaming music and podcasts, etc. isn't for you, no problem, but for lots of folks, NOT being able to do this on a new vehicle would be a deal breaker.

Maybe it's time to join the Borg collective ;)
I like FM radio we got a cool local station here. And I'm really not popular enough to be on the phone alot of the time while driving. I just dont see why less fancy stuff isn't an option on the cheapest vehicle avg car company makes.

Ford Maverick Android Auto literally useless. Anyone else? Vg9b4kwHaOQ?w=115&h=182&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1

Last edited:

996ttderm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, F150, Porsche, Prius, Tahoe
I've had my Maverick for 10 days now and the Android Auto is so glitchy that its literally safer to just use my phone while I drive. Multiple times I've had google maps simply end the navigation in the middle of a drive out of nowhere, and a few times even navigating to an entire different place despite tapping on the correct destination multiple times. Forcing me to either try to figure it out while I'm driving or just unplugging my phone and using it instead.

While listening to Spotify with navigation going it goes black for a couple seconds and the audio stops before the screen comes back on and resumes multiple times within a few minutes.

In short, its literally unusable and causes massive distractions and/or accidental detours.

Does anybody else experience issues like this? If so do you think its a software issue that can be patched by Ford remotely, or just a problem with my phone?
Discouraging since the screen/head unit/maps in my 12-year-old Prius that is being replaced by a Maverick functions flawlessly. More Ford quality?

mikedege

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Android Auto works perfectly, no issues at all.
Its great. My phone is a Google Pixel 6. Extremely happy with it.
I wonder if some of the reported glitches are due to the phone not Ford. Dunno....

Mike

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Android Auto works perfectly, no issues at all.
Its great. My phone is a Google Pixel 6. Extremely happy with it.
I wonder if some of the reported glitches are due to the phone not Ford. Dunno....

Mike
For sure. Android Auto does all of the computing on the phone and then sends a video signal to the head unit. The phone's processing and the cord connection are going to be most important. The head unit shouldn't matter much, and in fact the lower-resolution screen on the Maverick should actually make it better as it wouldn't require as much bandwidth as a higher rez screen.

Sponsored

MavVa1024

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Nissan Kicks
Alex?

Sorry to those in this thread, I'm gonna go clean and install a flexplate on 10 year old 258 AMC I6 out of a CJ7 for my 1980 Eagle. Maybe pull the Eagle up the driveway with my Comanche so I can coast it into place in the garage under the motor. I dont have a floor in there so the hoist mostly stays put, and the car moves. Catch ya later.
I figured a satirical Jeopardy reference would've landed, but maybe you shun television as well. Either way, did the off-topic, arguably pretentious, and weirdly car-specific flex of a deflective monologue that followed you missing the joke make you feel a bit better about your proverbial "get-off-my-lawn" outlook on other people's car radios?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I figured a satirical Jeopardy reference would've landed, but maybe you shun television as well. Either way, did the off-topic, arguably pretentious, and weirdly car-specific flex of a deflective monologue that followed you missing the joke make you feel a bit better
Maybe he was one-upping you by making another satirical media reference... to the old "Quién es más macho?" skit from the Bill Murray days of Saturday Night Live.

Or maybe not.

jalbano2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux, EB , 4k , FX4 , Moonroof
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had my Maverick for 10 days now and the Android Auto is so glitchy that its literally safer to just use my phone while I drive. Multiple times I've had google maps simply end the navigation in the middle of a drive out of nowhere, and a few times even navigating to an entire different place despite tapping on the correct destination multiple times. Forcing me to either try to figure it out while I'm driving or just unplugging my phone and using it instead.

While listening to Spotify with navigation going it goes black for a couple seconds and the audio stops before the screen comes back on and resumes multiple times within a few minutes.

In short, its literally unusable and causes massive distractions and/or accidental detours.

Does anybody else experience issues like this? If so do you think its a software issue that can be patched by Ford remotely, or just a problem with my phone?

Mine works great have it since Dec 2nd Lariat Lux. Also has been wireless since Dec 10. (AAWIRELESS) posted about it a while back works flawlessly take about 20 seconds to connect some times less.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I figured a satirical Jeopardy reference would've landed, but maybe you shun television as well. Either way, did the off-topic, arguably pretentious, and weirdly car-specific flex of a deflective monologue that followed you missing the joke make you feel a bit better about your proverbial "get-off-my-lawn" outlook on other people's car radios?
Ohhh Trebek. I'm actually watching tv right now. Matrix Reloaded lol. I just had work to do. Nothing to analyze, im not that complex. but I do like to ramble about cars. I do welcome people onto my lawn. I did get the motor over the car. But hopefully next day I have off my wife will help me line it up. It sucks doing that stuff on gravel.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You must connect with a USB coble.
Motorola is coming out with a wireless adapter -

Is Motorola compatible with Android Auto?
The Motorola MA1 licenses technology from Google that makes it simple for users to connect to existing USB-enabled Android Auto vehicles wirelessly, making it even easier to access apps using the car's display
Currently Amazon shows as "Not Available " but Im told it will be available in next week or two.

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Motorola is coming out with a wireless adapter -

Is Motorola compatible with Android Auto?
The Motorola MA1 licenses technology from Google that makes it simple for users to connect to existing USB-enabled Android Auto vehicles wirelessly, making it even easier to access apps using the car's display
Currently Amazon shows as "Not Available " but Im told it will be available in next week or two.

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter
Mine is arriving today.

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going to look into that.

But also, has anyone successfully used a magnetic charging/data cable with Android Auto? And if so, what brand?

(By "magnetic charging/data cable" I mean one of those that has a magnetic insert that you put into the USB port on the phone so you can just click the cable to the phone magnetically instead of having to insert it in the port.)
There's a Gen X cable on Amazon (Digital Ant or A.S brands)that I've had good luck with, bought in part to try to solve a similar problem in my Honda. Honda would eat cables--almost any new cable would work fine for the first few weeks. More expensive cables would last longer before starting to glitch, but nothing lasted more than a couple of months. I was afraid that the jack on the phone itself was wearing, decided to try magnetic tips so I could reduce the wear on the phone. These have lasted longer than any standard cable. Oval magnet rather than round. Occasionally I've had to clean out debris in the tips--handi-tack (sticky thumbtack replacement putty) if I'm home, or fresh chewed gum if I'm in the car and don't want to wait.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mike
I'd say most of the glitches are due to the phone. But I also have had glitches where the buttons on the steering wheel don't do anything but the display works fine. Also had it where android auto refused to work and restarting phone/replugging phone wouldn't fix it but restarting the maverick did. Also had it where nothing but resetting to factory default in the maverick fixed it. Which makes it hard to put the blame solely on the phone.

spotdog14

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe others have said this before, but I'll echo it. I was having a lot of problems with Android Auto and after reading a lot about it online I concluded it was the cable. My USB-C cables were relatively old and very long. I ended up getting this cable from Amazon and its been working like a boss. Also, its a really nice cable on top of it.

Amazon.com: Anker USB-C to USB-C Cable, 643 Cable 100W 6ft, USB 2.0 Type C Charging Cable Fast Charge for MacBook Pro 2020, iPad Pro 2020, iPad Air 4, iPad Mini 6, Galaxy S21, Pixel, Switch (Midnight Black) : Cell Phones & Accessories

I really wish they made a USB-A to USB-C version of this cable for our Expedition.

Also to add a little more information, I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, my wife has a 20FE. Both work better on my Maverick with that Anker cable than in our 2019 Expedition with a lower grade cable.
Sponsored