jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fearing I may have messed up by ordering from a small town dealer. Is it common to ask the dealer about their allocations and what order number I am? I ordered a 23 EB in September so maybe I just need to adjust to being patient.
Sponsored

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Common? Probably not. But you are the customer. Go to the dealer and ask to see your paperwork or have them bring it up on the screen. You want to see your order number, your priority and whether they have a COVP for your order. Ask them how many allocations they have for 23. They might not want to tell you but you can certainly ask.

You might also ask them what other Maverick orders they have on the books. My dealer was fine showing me the screen that had the Maverick orders on it.

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting, I was going to post something like this just now and hey, it is already here.
My story:
Yesterday I was off from work earlier than normal so I contacted Ford through their chat box. I don't have a VIN only the order no. so all they could tell me is that I was in order processing. OK, like waiting in line.

But the guy told me to go visit my dealer. With the 22s all taken care of the dealer should know how many 22s rolled over to 23. Then ask them their allocation numbers. Then ask how many orders did you place not really knowing the allocation number for the dealer.

So good, no and bad news.
The good: No 22s rolled over into 23 so all their allocation is available for their given orders.

The not good news: The salesman didn't want to divulge how many trucks they were allocated. He claimed the person with that information is off for the weekend. OK fair enough.

Bad news: He didn't know how many orders they took either. But my guess he could and probably did go looking for that number. He admittted that he ordered on of the hybrid Mavericks and was hoping for delivery.

So I walked away after thanking him knowing that at least no rollers will be cutting into the 23 allocation. But my guess is that they have 3 times as many orders as they do allocations and the chance of getting a hybrid this year will be a crap shoot depending on a ton of variables I can't even control.

So sit and wait and dream about it is all I can do. I am trying to get my 1981 VW pickup painted this winter and having a hard time finding a place that will do whole paints. Collision only the all tell me. Must be a ton of money in that game and doing real work for someone is not something they care to do.

Later

minitrucknuts

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Fearing I may have messed up by ordering from a small town dealer. Is it common to ask the dealer about their allocations and what order number I am? I ordered a 23 EB in September so maybe I just need to adjust to being patient.
Small town vs big city dealer doesn't mean shit.
Number of allocations doesn't mean shit.
Number of orders doesn't mean shit.

Orders:Allocations is the important metric.

OP
OP
jesemd

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe I misunderstood the allocation process. I thought that when Ford decides to build a specific color & trim & option package of truck, they then look at allocations to figure out what dealers will get them. IE, they may be building exactly what I ordered, but if my dealer is out of allocations for this month, I will be passed over.

That being said, if the dealer took more orders than they have allocations, those excess orders will never get built until more allocations are granted next year.

Does this allocation thing apply if I ordered EB and they run out of Hybrid engines? You would think they would build anything they have orders & parts for at that point. Maybe they do, but only for the bigger dealers?

Sponsored

converseguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I stopped by my dealer yesterday and asked the sales manager for the number of orders for 2023 Mavericks and he said just over 100 mostly hybrids. When I asked him how many allocations they had he told me, "we do not get allocations for mass produced vehicles" such as the Maverick so there was no allocation number to give me.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't worry about allocations for Ecoboost orders. There is way more capacity than orders for EB. It'll get built eventually. I'd stop sweating the dealer it won't change anything anyway. You'll be fine OP.

minitrucknuts

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
When I asked him how many allocations they had he told me, "we do not get allocations for mass produced vehicles" such as the Maverick so there was no allocation number to give me.
A dealer talking nonsense, imagine that. I wonder which models of individually hand crafted Ford vehicles he gets allocations for?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe I misunderstood the allocation process. I thought that when Ford decides to build a specific color & trim & option package of truck, they then look at allocations to figure out what dealers will get them. IE, they may be building exactly what I ordered, but if my dealer is out of allocations for this month, I will be passed over.

That being said, if the dealer took more orders than they have allocations, those excess orders will never get built until more allocations are granted next year.

Does this allocation thing apply if I ordered EB and they run out of Hybrid engines? You would think they would build anything they have orders & parts for at that point. Maybe they do, but only for the bigger dealers?
Don't overthink this and try to micromanage your order through the "process ". It won't make your truck get built any faster and only frustrate you that you have little to no control from start to finish.

I bought from my small local dealer and dropped in to chat with them whenever I felt like it and everything happened pretty much the way we discussed and expected. It still took 10.5 months to receive my truck. There's a wealth of informative threads detailing how many of the Ford processes work if you check the forum directories below. It's not perfect or any guarantee of how your personal experience will play out, but it helps to be informed.

And don't expect much in the way of updates or movement until you have a VIN and tentative build date that your Dealer and Ford Customer service agree on. Only then do things like allocation matter. Your dealer shouldn't have a problem telling you how many total Maverick orders they took and how many are ahead of you, but they don't owe you anything more than that and would likely be guessing or speculating beyond that at this time anyways. You need to just accept you are now in the lengthy waiting period and not take things personally if you don't get the answers you wanted every step of the way.

Timaysz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explorer sport trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered threw a small town dealer. I had a my22 order placed on 22 Jan 22. It was a sat.. Then on the fallowing Monday ford said it was cutting off my22 orders on that Thursday... Just made it under the wire... Never got a 22... Had ordered a xlt eco alto blue fx4 lux spair tire and mudflaps.
When I replaced the my23 order. I asked the salesman how many 22 orders they had and how many got built... Was told 11 orders with only 4 built and delivered. I didn't ask how many roll over orders were placed or how many new 23 orders..
But I replaced my order again with xlt eco alto blue fx4 lux spair tire, and decided against the mudflaps ( those are in the group of the worst constant items) but had him add every thing lux had taken out of the package. (sprayed in bed liner, remote start, and the bed rails) after about a week after the Sept. Orders window.. I called and had him take out the bed rails and the sprayed in liner... And i just figured to have the dealership arrange for the sprayed in liner after the truck arrives or ever gets built...
Then on Nov 2nd got the email about we will communicate with u every 45days email... Then the next day I got a email on the 3rd of Nov... Saying my truck is scheduled for week of Dec 19th.. And got a vin#... I know it's going to be Christmas week so I'm assuming it will get pushed to some time in Jan hopefully not as far out as Feb but just have to wait and see

Sponsored

Timaysz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explorer sport trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you mean ?
I'm would assume they mean small vs big dealerships. It's all to scale I would assume.... If ford didn't send any small dealerships vehicles and only to the big ones all the small dealers would go out of business.... By that let's say small dealerships have 20 orders last year and only received 12 trucks. The bigger ones had 400 orders and received 240 trucks the ratio is the same... Yes with a bigger dealership more people are getting them in #'s but u have to consider u have the same odds realy of getti g overlooked for the month.. Me personally I think the only reason last year with a small dearship was a hinderens is they wanted them in a bigger market first for the trucks to be driven around and had more eyes to see them in the wild as so to speak... Then to smaller rural markets

minitrucknuts

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
I think the only reason last year with a small dearship was a hinderens is they wanted them in a bigger market first for the trucks to be driven around and had more eyes to see them in the wild as so to speak... Then to smaller rural markets
I disagree, respectfully. If Ford made such a thing, then it would make more sense to spread them out than to concentrate them. Meaning, better to have a few in town A, a few in town B, etc. Much greater benefit in exposing multiple potential customers to a single Maverick than multiple Mavericks to a single customer.

Also, there are small dealers smack dab in the middle of huge markets, and huge dealers in rural towns.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford is going to build every truck they can. Early in the production run, regional and dealer allocations matter. Nearing the end of production, that all goes out the window. They will build whatever they can based on constraints and profitability. That is how MY22 played out.
Sponsored