Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, of course, common sense is the biggest factor, but it is less about the snow and more about the cold. The compound is different and all-seasons get really hard when the temperature drops. Even if you never get any snow, winter tires are safer in any cold condition.

We have blizzaks on our jetta and almost never need two vehicles so the Maverick basically sits in the garage all winter. For us, the cost is pretty minimal as we got steelies and the winter tires (for the jetta) for really cheap (<$600 total) and it just makes our all seasons last much longer. And it's ~30 minutes twice a year to switch them; gives me a reason to invite my buddy over to shoot the breeze and watch some sports.
i admit to not factoring in how temp drops affect all season tires. while i dont do much snow & ice travel we still get plenty of very cold days and months of freezing or sub zero temps around here.
Sponsored

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Listen to these folks. Snow happens but not all the time and your safety is only based on the "worst" of times. In winter use winter tires and do not worry how well the tires work on DRY pavement!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We too were very disappointed with the Nokian WRG3's. Had them on a 2011 Sonata. Never again. Jus OK, when brand new, but under 8/32 they went downhill fast. At 5/32 worthless. Overpriced, over hyped. The difference between the WRG's and Wildpeaks is stark. No comparison.

I have this OCD induced aversion to the twice annual ritual to the weather gods of "Tire Changover". Steelies with winters is not an option for my wife. Her car, her call.
I had the WRG3s on one of my cars, was not impressed either. I got the WRG4s on my Maverick, they are better, how much better time will tell. They still seem to wear fast. I had Michelin Cross Climates on my last car, much better tire for wear and no issue over several winters. I would have put Cross Climates on my Maverick, but they were sold out. We don't get a lot of snow here, but always get some, so having a set of full winter tires is almost a waste of money most years. Ice is always more of an issue than snow for us, and the all weather tires seem to do okay vs, $1200 for a set of tires and rims.

BubbaMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’ve probably heard of all-season tires and winter tires, but where do all-weather tires fall in that mix?

While all-season tires are designed for long-lasting performance in average weather conditions, winter tires (AKA snow tires) are all about safe performance in extreme winter weather.

On the other hand, all-weather tires fall in between all-season and winter tires, providing more reliable performance in winter weather than an all-season tire without sacrificing warm-weather performance.

Want to learn more about the differences between all-season tires, all-weather tires and winter tires? We’ve got the full rundown on all-season tires, all-weather tires and winter tires.
I was scheduled to have my tires swapped out for winter tires on Friday… but then we got a snow storm and I couldn’t make it through the pass to the Costco tire center! Having it done Wednesday now. It will be a nice change, as I’ve had trouble even getting out of my driveway a couple times. Getting Blizzaks on my FWD Hybrid.

Last edited:

BubbaMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe Mandela Effect here but I swear I remember hearing growing up that you want two winter tires and two non-winter, I think to give yourself better traction in both snowy and dry conditions. I did some research before buying winter tires for my new Mav and the consensus seems to be that's a bad idea and you want four matching tires. Did opinions change? Did tires change? Am I just mis-remembering, or was that bad advice I heard back then? I think I heard it on Car Talk!

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Maybe Mandela Effect here but I swear I remember hearing growing up that you want two winter tires and two non-winter, I think to give yourself better traction in both snowy and dry conditions. I did some research before buying winter tires for my new Mav and the consensus seems to be that's a bad idea and you want four matching tires. Did opinions change? Did tires change? Am I just mis-remembering, or was that bad advice I heard back then? I think I heard it on Car Talk!
I would guess you're mis-remembering because I'm 48 and I've never heard to do anything other than 4 matching tires. Even a long, long time ago in the days before decent all-season tires and winter tires didn't exist at all, 70s and before, people studded all four tires or put chains on all 4.

For any Maverick, FWD or AWD, 4 matching tires. Besides being FAR safer in winter conditions, you want to be able to rotate them, as any Maverick will wear the front tires faster.

DougK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Sport Trac XLS 2004, Honda Fit 2009, MDX 2006
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had all-seasons on my RWD Sport Trac, once those were a few years old they were terrifying in snow.. fishtailing up a moderate hill in icy conditions, was lucky to get home without hitting or being hit. This year I have all-weather Atturo Trail Blade A/T and hope for better. So far a couple mild snows in Denver proper, and a trip into the mountains to cut the Christmas tree. There was one slip on the way in to Buffalo Creek, ABS kicked in and no further problems. Two slips on the way up the hill back out, again just enough to be felt and no problems. I am very much looking forward to having FWD instead of RWD with an open differential..

Randy Gumpert

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ‘23 Maverick that I ordered was never built, BUT the order for a ‘24 was supposed to be built October 23, then November 13, then November 20, and FINALLY they say the build began on November 25. - On the tire issue, yesterday I went shopping for a set of alloy wheels and snow tires. I will have the snow tires mounted on factory rims and mount the factory tires on the alloy wheels. Then I can swap wheels and tires seasonally without mounting / dismounting tires from wheels. I am wondering though how this will affect TPMS. The shops say I’ll have to buy sensors for the new wheels and it might take some driving and some TPMS resets with the seasonal wheel swaps. I had not thought of the TPMS issue. Things are not like the old days. I just turned 72. This will likely be my last new car purchase. Not a fan of ordering a new car. Buying off the lot was better, in part because FoMoCo has made such a mess of taking Maverick orders and not building to the orders.
I am in the process of doing the identical thing. I bought Motiv wheels for summer and Nokian WR 4 for winter. I also purchased four TPM sensors and twenty spline ET lug nuts. They use that tire on Mi State Police vehicles. Good luck

Randy Gumpert

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our experience with all-weather tires (Nokian WRG3 on our other car) was pretty disappointing. Noticeably worse than dedicated winter tires in the snow and didn't feel fantastic in the summer either, a little noisy, didn't wear all that great, and pretty expensive. Everybody raves about Michellin crossclimates, but we're sticking to basic all-seasons and a separate set of dedicated winter tires here in the Utah mountains.
Sad to hear your poor experience with Nokian. I have been riding all year long in MI and believe in that brand. Used on Mi State Police cars. Now they have WR4

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just took delivery of my new Maverick tonight, and had the dealer install Toyo Open Country A/T III's on it before I picked it up. The Michelin All Seasons from the factory I just didn't have confidence would be good enough in the snow.

We'll see how these do.

Ford Maverick All-Weather vs All-Season vs Winter Tires PXL_20231212_002130448

Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Our experience with all-weather tires (Nokian WRG3 on our other car) was pretty disappointing. Noticeably worse than dedicated winter tires in the snow and didn't feel fantastic in the summer either, a little noisy, didn't wear all that great, and pretty expensive. Everybody raves about Michellin crossclimates, but we're sticking to basic all-seasons and a separate set of dedicated winter tires here in the Utah mountains.
I feel that dedicated tires will beat "one size fits all" any day

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just took delivery of my new Maverick tonight, and had the dealer install Toyo Open Country A/T III's on it before I picked it up. The Michelin All Seasons from the factory I just didn't have confidence would be good enough in the snow.
We'll see how these do.
I don't see any 3-peak snow winter rating on these tires, so aside from looking offroad-ey, the open tread means that they will probably do ok in deep and fluffy snow, but be sub-par on iced or packed roads.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 225/60 R 18, but they are indeed 3 peak rated.
Sponsored