20K mile review

Cambaugh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
At 20K miles, the Maverick XLT is a great value for the money. Some things that could use improvement are:
1. The center display is virtually useless during bright daylight hours. Brightness is set at maximum with no improvement.
2. Many settings made are not retained, they have to be set each time the vehicle is started. This includes the center display on/off, drive mode & auto start/stop.
3. The automatic transmission for the 2.0 engine has started to lug in the normal mode at less than 1500 RPM. 1200 RPM at 50 MPH is not good. For now, have to use the tow/haul mode around town. At 70 MPH it is at 1600 RPM.
4. At highway speeds, the Maverick does not track as well as my Fusion did. Crosswinds are more noticeable.
5. An option for a GPS system would be welcome.
The Maverick has been very reliable and provides good fuel economy. Hope that Ford can resolve some of the above issues.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At 20K miles, the Maverick XLT is a great value for the money. Some things that could use improvement are:
1. The center display is virtually useless during bright daylight hours. Brightness is set at maximum with no improvement.
2. Many settings made are not retained, they have to be set each time the vehicle is started. This includes the center display on/off, drive mode & auto start/stop.
3. The automatic transmission for the 2.0 engine has started to lug in the normal mode at less than 1500 RPM. 1200 RPM at 50 MPH is not good. For now, have to use the tow/haul mode around town. At 70 MPH it is at 1600 RPM.
4. At highway speeds, the Maverick does not track as well as my Fusion did. Crosswinds are more noticeable.
5. An option for a GPS system would be welcome.
The Maverick has been very reliable and provides good fuel economy. Hope that Ford can resolve some of the above issues.
I have no real problems with #1 except if the sun is shining directly on the display which doesn't usually happen.

The settings thing has been reported many times. It kind of sucks.
Talk to your dealer about the transmission thing. Mine was reset within a few weeks of delivery because it was thunking hard into gear. Resetting it fixed things. It learns your driving style but something goes screwy sometimes.

I was noticing the crosswind thing today. It's shaped like a brick compared to the fusion so no real surprises there. Otherwise handling is very good IMO.

Ford could make some bank with a factory or dealer installed dedicated GPS system. I actually like the android auto version of google maps on the display though

My fuel economy (xlt eco 4k) has been, well, bad. I do a lot of stop and go driving where the eco suffers and has been averaging below 20MPG. I did manage nearly 32 on a long highway trip. Lately it seems to be climbing slightly after my first oil change but it could be due to some non usual driving. Just filled up today to 20.xx mph calculated. Hopefully that trend continues.

Overall I've been pretty happy though it did need a trip to the dealer for a restraint control module issue and is affected by both the air bag and trailer brake controller recall.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I only have a measly 2,000 miles on my XLT AWD, but everything you said hits the spot for me. Even in normal driving, the Maverick does not track as stably as my old Ranger. I ended up setting the screen to dark mode, and even then it's washed out in sun. I'd add the reverse camera absolutely sucks in sun. I put all of that down to Ford going cheap to meet a price point, and it doesn't bug me that much.

I'd also love GPS, since I don't own a phone. I saw another thread on here where somebody added it by changing a module ($500). For now I just use a portable GPS.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I only have a measly 2,000 miles on my XLT AWD, but everything you said hits the spot for me. Even in normal driving, the Maverick does not track as stably as my old Ranger. I ended up setting the screen to dark mode, and even then it's washed out in sun. I'd add the reverse camera absolutely sucks in sun. I put all of that down to Ford going cheap to meet a price point, and it doesn't bug me that much.

I'd also love GPS, since I don't own a phone. I saw another thread on here where somebody added it by changing a module ($500). For now I just use a portable GPS.
I can assure you that the GPS on my iPhone is better than anything Ford could offer based on my experience with the radio. It tells me my phone is disconnected when I plug it in and sometimes the radio shuts off and won't come back on unless I unplug my phone. All that said, mine is head and shoulders above any of the 5 Rangers I have owned.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can assure you that the GPS on my iPhone is better than anything Ford could offer based on my experience with the radio. It tells me my phone is disconnected when I plug it in and sometimes the radio shuts off and won't come back on unless I unplug my phone. All that said, mine is head and shoulders above any of the 5 Rangers I have owned.
Based on your experience with their worst system, their best system isn't any better?

Withhold judgment until you've at least used Sync 3 or Sync 4. They went cheap with the standard system for Maverick, and it shows.

Sponsored

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on your experience with their worst system, their best system isn't any better?

Withhold judgment until you've at least used Sync 3 or Sync 4. They went cheap with the standard system for Maverick, and it shows.
This old fart doesn't know what Sync 3 or 4 even is. So my judgment stands based on what I have not what may be available.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've never had a GPS except when I used to run OTR. I also am not a fan of the screen and would rather not see it anyways. My only gripe with the Maverick after 11 months is that it doesnt have a build date yet :ROFLMAO: but its all good it will happen.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I'd base mine on literally any OEM gps. They don't do live updates regarding traffic, closing, detours etc like Google maps or apples. Also it limited to a few years for updates then you need to pay out of pocket for them. This is industry wide.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd base mine on literally any OEM gps. They don't do live updates regarding traffic, closing, detours etc like Google maps or apples. Also it limited to a few years for updates then you need to pay out of pocket for them. This is industry wide.
Oh?

What are the SYNC® 4* navigation options?
SYNC 4 navigation options give you live traffic with TomTom, Yelp integration, weather conditions with AccuWeather, a streaming map, and more with a subscription. There are three different Navigation options:
Connected Built-in Navigation (3 Years of Service)**
  • Begins 3-year free trial on the vehicle's warranty start date (not the date the modem is activated)
  • Reverts to Embedded Navigation with no Connected Navigation services (e.g., live traffic) if a subscription is not purchased after the trial ends
  • Updates full map yearly and "home zone" quarterly while service is active
  • Provides navigation in "cellular dead zones"
Connected Navigation (90-Day Trial)***
  • Begins 90-day free trial on the vehicle's warranty start date (not the date the modem is activated)
  • Reverts to a "moving map" with no destination routing functionality if a subscription is not purchased after the trial ends
  • Updates full map yearly and "home zone" quarterly while service is active
  • Provides navigation in "cellular dead zones"
Smartphone Navigation
  • Offers navigation via a smartphone device with Apple CarPlay®**** or Android Auto™*****
  • Does not work in "cellular dead zones"
Note: You are responsible for data consumption costs as per your smartphone data plan.
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-4/what-are-the-sync-4-navigation-options/

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most of what has been said is same for me.

I’m running 236/65r/17’s and have not noticed tracking concerns…..and scheduled for an software update on the transmission.

Have to say, don’t like the hit on mpg but the tow/haul drive mode in traffic is engaging.

The heater/heated seats/steering wheel/defroster is almost a sinful pleasure on a cold morning.
Sponsored