OP

Pringles70

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta
We can't see both ends, how can we know it is perfectly flat and perpendicular? What certifications of accuracy does the tape measure have? Is the operator licensed for engineering measurement?!
Well I am not an engineer, but I know how to use a measuring tape and it was flush up against the front of the bed. Flat and level in one of the grooves that run the length of the bed 😉
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Without seeing the other end of the tape... how do we know its actually against the back of the bed? :ROFLMAO:

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The two French luminaries who calibrated the earth's circumference to establish the meter, mis-measured resulting a flawed metric system.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also tape is obviously not perpendicular.

can we see actual calibration data for the tape at stp, what temperature was the bed at?

never ever ask a science teacher or practicing scientist how measurements can be wrong. My last paper involved drops so small that we had to use a laser to count them and measure diameter

my issue is now and has always been that Ford issued different numbers.
Ford likely issued design goal numbers from the specification sheet.

We don't have the measurement yet for the tailgate position where an 8' sheet of plywood will lay flat and resting on the tailgate. Thinking like an Engineer, I would wager that measurement is 6'. It would make too much sense to specify the measurements for the bed so that there is a 2' overhang to the 8' load. It is highly probable that this is the 6' spec from the design targets process.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order

We don't have the measurement yet for the tailgate position where an 8' sheet of plywood will lay flat and resting on the tailgate. Thinking like an Engineer, I would wager that measurement is 6'. It would make too much sense to specify the measurements for the bed so that there is a 2' overhang to the 8' load. It is highly probable that this is the 6' spec from the design targets process.
I can buy that story, it’s at least as good as any other theory, if not better.

I personally am conservative, so I am going to go with the official numbers until Our Maverick arrives, whenever that is.

Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can buy that story, it’s at least as good as any other theory, if not better.

I personally am conservative, so I am going to go with the official numbers until Our Maverick arrives, whenever that is.
For me this is looking like good news but, like you, I need to verify once the truck arrives. My motorcycle that I am planning on putting in the back is 75" from the front of the front tire against a wall to the centerline of the contact patch of the rear tire. It will fit parallel to the centerline of the truck!

I will also compute the length available if the bike is angled with the front tire in the left front corner between the wheel well and the front wall and the rear tire near the rear right corner of the tailgate. There is a possibility I may be able to get a ramp that doubles as a bed extender to fit behind the bike. Hopefully there is enough length in that configuration!

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me this is looking like good news but, like you, I need to verify once the truck arrives. My motorcycle that I am planning on putting in the back is 75" from the front of the front tire against a wall to the centerline of the contact patch of the rear tire. It will fit parallel to the centerline of the truck!

I will also compute the length available if the bike is angled with the front tire in the left front corner between the wheel well and the front wall and the rear tire near the rear right corner of the tailgate. There is a possibility I may be able to get a ramp that doubles as a bed extender to fit behind the bike. Hopefully there is enough length in that configuration!
Update: there is enough length. The computed length in the above referenced dimension is 91.7". This will leave about 4" behind the rear tire of the motorcycle for a bed extender to fit!

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick bed length with tailgate down =  78 3/4” - 79" Inches (Tape Measured Dimension) 1629310593373

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great. Assuming that Honda's and Pringles tape measures are calibrated to industry standards, the Honda 125 trails we have ordered squeek in at 77.2 inches long.

Hoping for an adjustable bed rack for rooftop tent and will not have to fiddle with the handlebars every time. Ordering the Maverick gets closer and closer to decision made.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Good point. I hadn't thought of this and I usually tend to think like an engineer LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pringles70

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta
Without seeing the other end of the tape... how do we know its actually against the back of the bed? :ROFLMAO:
I have never lied to you, why would I start now? Lol

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was this measurement taken at sea level? Air pressure and the local effect of gravity can slightly misalign the bed or measurement device. Please also refer to your astronomic weather map to verify if any rogue quasars happened to be passing within 10 million solar radii.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never lied to you, why would I start now? Lol
Sorry, humor/sarcasm does not convey well over the internet. completely meant in jest!

I am curiuos how that works though, so the bed with door closed in 54ish inches and open is 78ish inches. That would mean the bed sides are 24" unless the door pivots in... out? I thought the sides were 18 inches deep?

EDIT: just rewatched the long McArther video and he said the bed depth is about 20".

Last edited: