Sponsored

Tailgate down, not level with bed floor ?

Bmckenz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Checking to see if this is normal? It seems strange the tailgate angles downward, compared to the bed floor. I was thinking the cables that hold the tailgate are too long?
Ford Maverick Tailgate down, not level with bed floor ? B59A0B16-73B5-477D-804D-38D70A1D2172
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure looks like they're too long. Been a couple other reports here about one cable under tension and the other is slack.
Would be interesting if accurate measurements of the cables could be compared between a few Mavericks.

OP
OP

Bmckenz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure looks like they're too long. Been a couple other reports here about one cable under tension and the other is slack.
Would be interesting if accurate measurements of the cables could be compared between a few Mavericks.
One is definitely under tension, the other a little more slack. Curious to see if anyone else has a tailgate not tipped down. I’m considering bringing it up as a warranty item to Ford

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One is definitely under tension, the other a little more slack. Curious to see if anyone else has a tailgate not tipped down. I’m considering bringing it up as a warranty item to Ford
I would certainly have the dealer look at it.

OP
OP

Bmckenz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just measured the cables. Outside to outside fully stretched out they are 21.75” long

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just measured the cables. Outside to outside fully stretched out they are 21.75” long
Hopefully we can get a couple more Maverick owners to measure their cables and post the results here. Along with pics or information on how well the tailgate lines up with the truck bed.

Bret4

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I noticed that when seeing pictures of the Maverick. I was hoping it just looked off in the pictures but I guess not. I remember years ago the ranger had one cable look longer than the other because one had slack in it. They were all just made that we at and Ford didn't do anything about it. In this case shorter cables should fix it.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Bmckenz when you set the cables to the higher position is the tailgate level with the wheel wells? That would be important for hauling 4x8 sheet goods.

OP
OP

Bmckenz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Bmckenz when you set the cables to the higher position is the tailgate level with the wheel wells? That would be important for hauling 4x8 sheet goods.
It’s not quite there, a bit harder to tell with the tailgate up at the angle. Looks like they still need to be shorter. It’s weird they’re both the same overall length. I will check with the dealer, but would be nice to know if this is a common thing. My bed extender is supposed to latch into the tailgate with straps, and they become very tight when clicked in. It’s level with the bed extender in place, but seems to put stress on it.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please keep us posted after your dealer's service department looks at it. These are legitimate concerns because with this short little truck bed the tailgate actually becomes part of the bed in two different positions.

#Ford seems proud of the design of this truck bed, and rightfully so, but the design needs to be manufactured correctly.
Sponsored