First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow ,I remember when the new PT cruiser came out , some dealers were at $10,000 over sticker. our dealer did not ,someone ordered 5 of them and sold on ebay at $12,000 over.a few years latter the new ones had a BIG discount, then we got one.loved it
our ford dealer has none but, toyota had up to 5 new broncos ( well they had a few miles on them so the sticker said used) and they were over $30,000 over sticker, they are gone ( but know knows what they really sold for?) Glad we ordered our xlt hybrid from Mullinax ,florida. no dealer fees, my new f150 I got there in 2020 also had no extra fees.its a shame, because I could not afford the extra $$$, its tough enough to pay the sticker prices, my f150 was $9,000 off sticker, but the maverick we are paying sticker.
Sponsored

Mavhead

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The difference is that a car dealer is the ONLY place a consumer can purchase a brand new car. They have a Monopoly on new car sales due to years of lobbying the govt. For it to be priced anything other than MSRP is absolutely BS and unfair to the consumers.

I have no problem with a customer buying a maverick and turning around and trying to flip it for profit because the consumers already had a chance at it at MSRP. I like to use the following example:

Over the last year the new Xbox and playstation have been sold out nearly everywhere. As soon as it gets a restock on Walmart, they are gone again in minutes. Now Microsoft set a price of $500... If the only places in the world you could buy one is Walmart or Amazon, and they crank the price up to $900, wouldn't that be unfair? Microsoft wanted to sell it at $500 after all, but you can't buy direct from Microsoft. All bets are all for what you would pay for one on eBay, but if you caught the restocks you would have paid MSRP and not a penny more. Cars should be the same way but the dealer system screwed it all up
I am generally indifferent about markups to non-orders but you raise a good argument. It's only because our politicians have been bought and paid for that we have to go through dealers in the first place.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If someone is willing to pay 3k over the sticker price for my truck after I pay taxes and license fees I would probably think about it, but most likely would not sell the truck.

OSRAlyssa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Reminds me of the 90k Rav4 in Southern California going around the internet, crazy stuff! Most I've seen here is $10,000.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've got a Rapid Red First Edition Hybrid with Luxe Pkg and 360 and a tailgate lock. I'll let it go for $51K...sliding rear window, moonroof, 18's, black wheels, tonneau cover, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and reflective MAVERICK tailgate letters.
Why so cheap?

Sponsored

Tbone73

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Good for that dealership. Make as much money as the market will allow. They aren't forcing anyone to pay for that vehicle. Not a single person.

As soon as the market is back to normal and they can't do this kind of stuff they will come back to being competitive and nobody will remember this event.

If you are against ADM's, you also shouldn't sell your used car for the inflated values out there right now.
Dumbest rationalization for price gouging I've ever heard. I hope your local gas stations start charging $15 a gallon for gas. You would be the first one crying foul and pissing yourself and probably blaming it on the government or some other nonsense. Ford is railing against dealerships gouging people. Ford is going to stop distributing to scumbag dealerships that continue to do this kind of crap.. Good on Ford, and screw the dealers that rip people off..

Bcarder1948

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 xlt hybrid maverick catus grey
Yeah mark ups suck but lets be honest. If I could sell my Mav for that much it would have been gone yesterday. It's well in their right to do so and they wouldn't do it if some smuck wasn't gonna buy it.
What a sad world we live in.

Bcarder1948

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no issue with ADM per se. I'm a capitalist sell it for what the market will bear. My complaint comes in like most of us on this site has ordered theirs through Ford and basically the dealer has done nothing more than the paperwork. The dealer is not paying flooring cost or any of the stuff required to have inventory. Your wait the 12 or 15 years it takes to get your Maverick built, and then the dealer tries to throw the ADM on when your truck finally arrives. And that is BS. I think in some cases dealers are intentionally doing that to try to get people to walk away from their order so the dealer will end up with the inventory basically floored for free. And yes that kind of crap needs to be cracked down on. There is a difference between fair market capitalism and screwing people over. Show me another situation where a person can order a product at an agreed upon price and when it's time to go pick up that product the seller goes oh by the way we're attaching another x amount percentage on top of the agreed upon price and if you don't like it go order another one and wait another 12 or 15 years to get it.
Agree

Bcarder1948

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im saying what was already ordered. Also dealerships get cancelled orders for various NON nefarious reasons all the time.

My Maverick Hybrid is a perfect example. Guy who ordered it couldn't get financing when it came down to it for whatever reason, so had to cancel. Or people just change their minds, or their financial situation changes.

Our local dealer got two cancelled preorders last month alone specifically because people backed out, NOT because of them doing anything dirty.
We're you next in line on people that's been waiting since june?

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
We're you next in line on people that's been waiting since june?
Don't know, dont care, paid them the ADM and walked away with the Maverick Hybrid that night. Ive already saved 2 tanks of gas money versus my old truck, so $60 in a month? Ill make back that ADM in no time between that and other maintenance costs.

Sponsored

Bcarder1948

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know, dont care, paid them the ADM and walked away with the Maverick Hybrid that night. Ive already saved 2 tanks of gas money versus my old truck, so $60 in a month? Ill make back that ADM in no time between that and other maintenance costs.
🙉

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
I mean i knew this shit was gonna happen, so I wasnt even gonna fight to get one ordered. Look at all the other goods and "scarcity/scalping" going around. New unique one of a kind compact hybrid pickup. Saw them being hard to get coming a mile away.

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
this $15.000 markup is to make you feel as you made a killing paying just 2-3k above msrp.

the market change that will stay after the pandemic is one were few very large dealers will sell thousands of vehicle at a clear, no negotiation needed, pre discounted price.
you see the price you arrange shipment, drive there and it is done. It is a commodity you educate yourself online and pick what you want.
In addition there will be a market made of people and speciality vehicle that will offer a boutique experience for certain type of customers.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If we all would collectively not pay ADMs for things we simply wanted (rather than needed), additional supply would be available.

You can find MSRP deals on vehicles. It might not be a Maverick. But this paying over sticker for a clearly budget vehicle is absurd. Not that I think any car is worth any ADM, but it's not like this is something super rare or exclusive. This is the same thing as paying over sticker for something like a Nissan Versa. I wonder if Versa people are doing that? They have a forum? :ROFLMAO:

BTW, not a knock against the Versa. I wouldn't want one, but if it were Versa at MSRP vs Maverick at $1,000 ADM.. Versa it would be. I'm picky but not stupid.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
this $15.000 markup is to make you feel as you made a killing paying just 2-3k above msrp.

the market change that will stay after the pandemic is one were few very large dealers will sell thousands of vehicle at a clear, no negotiation needed, pre discounted price.
you see the price you arrange shipment, drive there and it is done. It is a commodity you educate yourself online and pick what you want.
In addition there will be a market made of people and speciality vehicle that will offer a boutique experience for certain type of customers.
This nonsense wont be over for years("Pandemic is no endemic"), 2023 hybrids will also sell out and be scarce, and value will continue to go up because of it. I could flip my Maverick right now and make a profit, even though I paid 3k ish over MSRP Im not worried at all. I have DEALERS offering to buy it for more than what I paid.
Sponsored