First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
TL;DR: Light duty truck good, get one if it suits your needs - and if you can.

With that out of the way...

So you want to know what the Maverick is all about? Maybe you stumbled on this perusing the forums for Maverick info. Maybe you're patiently awaiting the arrival of the Maverick you ordered a year ago. Maybe you're impatiently awaiting the arrival of the Maverick you ordered a year ago and are trying to look for reasons to hold onto or to cancel your order. Either way, welcome! This is going to be an intensely deep dive into the Ford Maverick I have owned and have driven around 5,300 miles since taking delivery (I now consider myself very lucky) of it on March 30.

Background:
I'm no automotive journo-type. I have owned a few cars in my life, none of them spectacularly or traditionally "exciting." I started driving at the ripe old age of 15 in my dad's 1995 Ford Ranger and got my first car when I was 17 - a 1991 Acura Integra LS. Since then, I've owned a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, and a 2012 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback 6MT. Since getting married, my wife and I have owned a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Touring, a 2012 Toyota Camry LS, a 2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring, a 2012 Honda Accord Sport, a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL, and a 2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - you probably notice we're big Mazda fans (my dad has since procured a 2003 Mazda Miata Limited Edition 6MT and I desperately hope it stays in the family).

I've always loved cars. I grew up on a(n un)healthy diet of Need For Speed, Gran Turismo, and Forza games throughout my life, religiously read every Road and Track magazine as a kid, and I distinctly remember watching the famous Austrian 2002 F1 race where Rubens Barichello let Michael Schumacher win. I don't have the same photographic memory of every horsepower and torque figure, every 0-60 time, and every top speed of every new vehicle brought to market like I did back then, but I still enjoy driving immensely and feel like I've owned or driven enough new and used vehicles to be able to form a fairly objective and reasonably informed opinion.

Why the Ford Maverick?
I first learned about the Ford Maverick while - of all things - my wife was undergoing surgery in Atlanta, Georgia. I was just mindlessly browsing my phone (im)patiently waiting for an update from the nurse. It just so happened that the configuration utility had just gone live recently and my perusing led me straight to it and - man, this looked exactly like the truck I had been hoping someone would make for years. You see, I was interested when Ford announced the Ranger, but questionable styling combined with a size so large I could have fit the 1995 Ranger in the bed meant that this, in my opinion, was no real Ranger resurrection but yet another "mid-size" entry in an already-crowded market. The Maverick, in theory, checked a lot of boxes for a "dream vehicle" - light duty, small, efficient truck that doubles as a small family sedan replacement, and best of all - a stupidly low price of "$19,995" for a stripped-out base model Hybrid. I was instantly in love.

The Ordering Process
I talked about it with my wife (long after her recovery and returning home; she's very well, thanks for asking), and we decided to go ahead and pre-order an XL Hybrid in Area 51 on September 9, 2021. I went to my local Ford dealership, Town and Country Ford in Bessmer, AL, and spoke to a salesman, who placed the order and waived the deposit. He triple checked my e-mail address and we agreed that the vehicle would be purchased at MSRP with no additional up-charge beyond taxes, title, and fees. He sent me the order sheet as a signed document. After a relative got a Maverick in velocity blue, and having been seduced by the siren songs of "quicker build times" and "more horsepower," I changed the order to an XL EcoBoost in Velocity Blue in December of 2021 (and resigned another order sheet). My only additions to this build were a power moonroof and trailer hitch. After this... Silence. No e-mails, no communication. I would reach out to my salesman monthly, who would check on the status of the order. About February, he did notice that the order was in a locked status and would not allow for any changes. On March 29, the truck arrived at the dealership with zero communication from Ford to myself or the dealership that the vehicle was even being built, let alone delivered. Needless to say, I was ecstatic and immediately went to see the vehicle. On March 30, I purchased the vehicle from Town and Country Ford for MSRP (just over $23k plus taxes and fees) and not a penny more. Overall my experience was very positive and would definitely use them again.

Ford Maverick 5,000+ Mile Deep Dive XL EcoBoost FWD Review - Super Turbo Deluxe Edition IMG_6931

First time I'd ever seen a base model on the actual showroom floor, let alone with other customers eyeing it like it was some kind of supercar.

I think the key to getting one of these trucks is to:
  1. Be patient. Ford's communication is pretty bad, and if mine and others stories are anything to go by, then the communication that Ford sends out is usually untrustworthy anyway. I'm not blaming Ford - I don't envy the position of having to manage communications with hundreds of thousands of individuals after launching an unexpectedly popular product produced in a facility in another country during a global supply chain crisis. But it's not great customer service either and you really just need to decide if you're willing or able to wait for it.
  2. Use a reputable dealer. This forum is a wealth of information and many individuals have shared their experiences with purchasing Mavericks from various dealers. If you don't know about your local dealer, give them a search here - you might get some good info. If you can't find anything, be sure that the salesperson is willing to not only place an order, but sign a contract on it. This prevents them from legally adding on massive markups on arrival or just selling it out from under you to a motivated buyer.
Exterior Styling
I wouldn't describe the Maverick as a traditionally "beautiful" car or truck. With the rather spacious SuperCrew cab and the extra short 4.5-foot box, it has some odd proportions that are mitigated somewhat by it's low ride height and unibody design. It's two closest competitors - the funky Hyundai Santa Cruz and the bizarre Honda Ridgeline - swing far closer to the "crossover with a bed" aesthetic than the truck-ier Maverick, which helps the Maverick stand out as the more burly, masculine-looking offering in the segment. It's surprisingly conservative, especially next to it's platform siblings, the more adventurous Bronco Sport and the sleek, Porsche-Macan-like Escape. I personally would have liked to have seen the Maverick fall more in line with the Bronco Sport design, but the Maverick admittedly will likely look better in hindsight. It's a personal thing, and you can decide for yourself by looking at pictures, so I won't spend too much time on it.

The XL comes stock with 17" steel wheels and very little in the way of additional exterior styling treatment. Personally, I think the steel wheels look pretty cool. It matches the overall utilitarian look of the vehicle well.
Ford Maverick 5,000+ Mile Deep Dive XL EcoBoost FWD Review - Super Turbo Deluxe Edition IMG_2390

Ford Maverick 5,000+ Mile Deep Dive XL EcoBoost FWD Review - Super Turbo Deluxe Edition IMG_2391

Fresh off the lot, and looking fly. "How can a man choose between fresh and fly?" - Crack Stuntman

Interior Styling:
Ford made a lot of really unique decisions with the Maverick's interior by trying to spruce up what would be a mountain of boring plastic by using funky geometric patterns, exposed hex bolts, and splashes of color on the inside. I think it works - for the most part. There's no escaping that "base model" feel of the interior materials quality, but the Maverick is a genuinely nice place to spend time. The XL comes with the most understated interior of the lineup - primarily blue with black and grey accents. It's still a fun combination that makes the interior feel a little brighter and more open than the typical sea of black plastic and cloth reserved for stripped-out base models.

My wife commented that she didn't really like the geometric shapes on the passenger side of the dash and the door, noting that "they look like there's no pattern to them." I personally like them but it's definitely a matter of taste. Also, the plastics are extremely soft and easily scratched - we'll talk more about that later...
Ford Maverick 5,000+ Mile Deep Dive XL EcoBoost FWD Review - Super Turbo Deluxe Edition IMG_2713

You can have your Maverick interior in any color - as long as it's blue.

How does it drive?
The most important - and most subjective - aspect of driving a new vehicle is how it actually feels to drive. I can't speak for everyone because everyone has different tastes, but I can certainly give you what I think. Before we begin - I'm 6'2", 205lb, skinny-medium frame. I came from driving mostly small to midsize cars, so I sit a little closer to the wheel than some people of my size and build would. I also prefer a tighter, heavier steering feel and a firmer, more "connected" ride.

The Maverick is a modern day interpretation of a "ute" - somewhat like the Ford Ranchero or El Camino, but instead of being car-based, this is crossover based. That's not a bad thing - it makes for some wonderfully balanced handling, with great visibility, a decently low ride height (as compared to a body-on-frame truck), and car-like steering. No wonder - this is a FWD vehicle. That's not a knock; compared to the squirrelly rear-wheel stability of other small RWD trucks, the Maverick handles with predictability and fluidity. AWD is an option for those that require it (or if you want the 4,000lb towing package), but the FWD model is a very fine driver. Much like many crossovers, this is no mountain switchback-carver, but it feels stable and relatively tossable in aggressive cornering. Steering is light and relatively numb, but it is direct.

Ride quality is maybe a touch more firm than I would prefer, no doubt a result of stiffened suspension to achieve the rather impressive 1,500lb total payload capacity of the truck. It's a worthwhile trade-off, as I wouldn't describe the ride as harsh or punishing, but you and your passengers will absolutely feel every bump on the road, even if just a little bit. Those expecting a Toyota Camry-like experience will no doubt be disappointed, but compared to other small body-on-frame trucks, the Maverick is comparatively well-mannered on uneven or bumpy roads.

It's worth noting that the stock tires are Continental ProContacts. I was surprised to see such a quality name-brand tire used as an OEM on a truck of this price. Good on Ford for not cheaping out here; as one friend once wisely told me: "Don't cheap out on your tires. They're the only part of the car that should be touching the ground."
Ford Maverick 5,000+ Mile Deep Dive XL EcoBoost FWD Review - Super Turbo Deluxe Edition IMG_2709

The Contis are great OEM tires for general on-road usage, despite that weird seam that makes them all look out of round.

How does it perform?
Look, the Maverick is no performance vehicle, but I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the fact that the XL EcoBoost is a relatively small, lightweight vehicle putting out 250 horses and 277 pound-feet of twist from a 2.0L turbo four - in a package that comes in well under $25K. That's not insignificant, and if "cheap thrills" happens to be on your priority list, then the Maverick is a surprisingly solid option. In FWD format, the boosted Maverick will get to sixty in 7 seconds flat. More importantly for regular humans that drive their regular vehicles regularly in a regular way, the power means highway passing maneuvers and on-ramps are a breeze in this thing - the 8-speed delivers (mostly) smooth shifts and quick responses to throttle inputs, and the turbo provides plenty of low-end torque so you're never waiting on the tach to climb to get some movement to occur. The Maverick can be surprisingly entertaining to rev - it's just a shame that it's engine noise - while mostly quiet - isn't particularly nice to listen to. It's a turbo-4. Not a V8. Please don't confuse the two and amplify that exhaust note.

How is the gas mileage?
One of the biggest draws of the Maverick is it's efficiency - with gas pushing anywhere from 4 to 7 dollars a gallon around the country, a small truck with great mileage looks pretty attractive to a lot of folks. The Hybrid model promises some pretty impressive EPA estimates, but the EcoBoost is no slouch - driving around 60% highway, 40% city in hot and humid Alabama, I've been consistently getting 28-29mpg (26mpg low, 30mpg high) measured at the pump. Those are solid numbers, and a recent 665-mile round trip to the sugar-white beaches of Gulf Shores, AL with the family returned similar results (and likely would have given me 30-31mpg if it weren't for hitting traffic for long periods near our destination).

One thing to note is that the digital readout is consistently - and I mean almost to the tenth - 1.5mpg above the actual mileage as read at the pump. I'd chalk this up to typical computer over-estimation if it weren't for the fact that the range meter is uncannily accurate; the range given at around half a tank is usually no more than 10 miles, plus or minus, from the mileage I'll actually have when I'm ready to fill up. This leads to me to believe that Ford is intentionally over-estimating fuel mileage by their computers, which is an extremely minor annoyance. But why? What's the purpose in doing that?
Ford Maverick 5,000+ Mile Deep Dive XL EcoBoost FWD Review - Super Turbo Deluxe Edition IMG_2706

I'm really glad this beach trip wasn't a mile longer...

Why are you stopping here?
Because it's late and I've got stuff to do in the morning. But! I'll be back to finish my epic review that no one will probably read tomorrow! Tune in next time - same Mav-time, same Mav-channel - to see my opinions on interior comfort, issues I've encountered, and how the Maverick does "trucky-stuff!"
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As far as the gas mileage estimation on in the cluster that can be adjusted based on your real world MPG. You need to go into the engineering test mode in the cluster then you can adjust what is called the AFE bias.

To get into test mode you simply do the following. Hold down the okay button on the steering wheel when you start the vehicle and keep holding it until you see a green ET in the upper right hand corner of the cluster. Once you are in that mode you can access a bunch of extra settings then.

To correct the MPG display this thread explains the math formula used to do so.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/fix-inaccurate-mpg-display-2-minutes-421912/

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

So you want to know what the Maverick is all about? Maybe you stumbled on this perusing the forums for Maverick info. Maybe you're patiently awaiting the arrival of the Maverick you ordered a year ago. Maybe you're impatiently awaiting the arrival of the Maverick you ordered a year ago and are trying to look for reasons to hold onto or to cancel your order. Either way, welcome! This is going to be an intensely deep dive into the Ford Maverick I have owned and have driven around 5,300 miles since taking delivery (I now consider myself very lucky) of it on March 30.

Background:
I'm no automotive journo-type. I have owned a few cars in my life, none of them spectacularly or traditionally "exciting." I started driving at the ripe old age of 15 in my dad's 1995 Ford Ranger and got my first car when I was 17 - a 1991 Acura Integra LS. Since then, I've owned a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, and a 2012 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback 6MT. Since getting married, my wife and I have owned a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Touring, a 2012 Toyota Camry LS, a 2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring, a 2012 Honda Accord Sport, a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL, and a 2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - you probably notice we're big Mazda fans (my dad has since procured a 2003 Mazda Miata Limited Edition 6MT and I desperately hope it stays in the family).

I've always loved cars. I grew up on a(n un)healthy diet of Need For Speed, Gran Turismo, and Forza games throughout my life, religiously read every Road and Track magazine as a kid, and I distinctly remember watching the famous Austrian 2002 F1 race where Rubens Barichello let Michael Schumacher win. I don't have the same photographic memory of every horsepower and torque figure, every 0-60 time, and every top speed of every new vehicle brought to market like I did back then, but I still enjoy driving immensely and feel like I've owned or driven enough new and used vehicles to be able to form a fairly objective and reasonably informed opinion.

Why the Ford Maverick?
I first learned about the Ford Maverick while - of all things - my wife was undergoing surgery in Atlanta, Georgia. I was just mindlessly browsing my phone (im)patiently waiting for an update from the nurse. It just so happened that the configuration utility had just gone live recently and my perusing led me straight to it and - man, this looked exactly like the truck I had been hoping someone would make for years. You see, I was interested when Ford announced the Ranger, but questionable styling combined with a size so large I could have fit the 1995 Ranger in the bed meant that this, in my opinion, was no real Ranger resurrection but yet another "mid-size" entry in an already-crowded market. The Maverick, in theory, checked a lot of boxes for a "dream vehicle" - light duty, small, efficient truck that doubles as a small family sedan replacement, and best of all - a stupidly low price of "$19,995" for a stripped-out base model Hybrid. I was instantly in love.

The Ordering Process
I talked about it with my wife (long after her recovery and returning home; she's very well, thanks for asking), and we decided to go ahead and pre-order an XL Hybrid in Area 51 on September 9, 2021. I went to my local Ford dealership, Town and Country Ford in Bessmer, AL, and spoke to a salesman, who placed the order and waived the deposit. He triple checked my e-mail address and we agreed that the vehicle would be purchased at MSRP with no additional up-charge beyond taxes, title, and fees. He sent me the order sheet as a signed document. After a relative got a Maverick in velocity blue, and having been seduced by the siren songs of "quicker build times" and "more horsepower," I changed the order to an XL EcoBoost in Velocity Blue in December of 2021 (and resigned another order sheet). My only additions to this build were a power moonroof and trailer hitch. After this... Silence. No e-mails, no communication. I would reach out to my salesman monthly, who would check on the status of the order. About February, he did notice that the order was in a locked status and would not allow for any changes. On March 29, the truck arrived at the dealership with zero communication from Ford to myself or the dealership that the vehicle was even being built, let alone delivered. Needless to say, I was ecstatic and immediately went to see the vehicle. On March 30, I purchased the vehicle from Town and Country Ford for MSRP (just over $23k plus taxes and fees) and not a penny more. Overall my experience was very positive and would definitely use them again.

IMG_6931.jpeg

First time I'd ever seen a base model on the actual showroom floor, let alone with other customers eyeing it like it was some kind of supercar.

1. Be patient. Ford's communication is pretty bad, and if mine and others stories are anything to go by, then the communication that Ford sends out is usually untrustworthy anyway. I'm not blaming Ford - I don't envy the position of having to manage communications with hundreds of thousands of individuals after launching an unexpectedly popular product produced in a facility in another country during a global supply chain crisis. But it's not great customer service either and you really just need to decide if you're willing or able to wait for it.
  2. Use a reputable dealer. This forum is a wealth of information and many individuals have shared their experiences with purchasing Mavericks from various dealers. If you don't know about your local dealer, give them a search here - you might get some good info. If you can't find anything, be sure that the salesperson is willing to not only place an order, but sign a contract on it. This prevents them from legally adding on massive markups on arrival or just selling it out from under you to a motivated buyer.
Exterior Styling
I wouldn't describe the Maverick as a traditionally "beautiful" car or truck. With the rather spacious SuperCrew cab and the extra short 4.5-foot box, it has some odd proportions that are mitigated somewhat by it's low ride height and unibody design. It's two closest competitors - the funky Hyundai Santa Cruz and the bizarre Honda Ridgeline - swing far closer to the "crossover with a bed" aesthetic than the truck-ier Maverick, which helps the Maverick stand out as the more burly, masculine-looking offering in the segment. It's surprisingly conservative, especially next to it's platform siblings, the more adventurous Bronco Sport and the sleek, Porsche-Macan-like Escape. I personally would have liked to have seen the Maverick fall more in line with the Bronco Sport design, but the Maverick admittedly will likely look better in hindsight. It's a personal thing, and you can decide for yourself by looking at pictures, so I won't spend too much time on it.

The XL comes stock with 17" steel wheels and very little in the way of additional exterior styling treatment. Personally, I think the steel wheels look pretty cool. It matches the overall utilitarian look of the vehicle well.
IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

Fresh off the lot, and looking fly. "How can a man choose between fresh and fly?" - Crack Stuntman

Interior Styling:
Ford made a lot of really unique decisions with the Maverick's interior by trying to spruce up what would be a mountain of boring plastic by using funky geometric patterns, exposed hex bolts, and splashes of color on the inside. I think it works - for the most part. There's no escaping that "base model" feel of the interior materials quality, but the Maverick is a genuinely nice place to spend time. The XL comes with the most understated interior of the lineup - primarily blue with black and grey accents. It's still a fun combination that makes the interior feel a little brighter and more open than the typical sea of black plastic and cloth reserved for stripped-out base models.

My wife commented that she didn't really like the geometric shapes on the passenger side of the dash and the door, noting that "they look like there's no pattern to them." I personally like them but it's definitely a matter of taste. Also, the plastics are extremely soft and easily scratched - we'll talk more about that later...
IMG_2713.jpeg

How does it drive?
The most important - and most subjective - aspect of driving a new vehicle is how it actually feels to drive. I can't speak for everyone because everyone has different tastes, but I can certainly give you what I think. Before we begin - I'm 6'2", 205lb, skinny-medium frame. I came from driving mostly small to midsize cars, so I sit a little closer to the wheel than some people of my size and build would. I also prefer a tighter, heavier steering feel and a firmer, more "connected" ride.

The Maverick is a modern day interpretation of a "ute" - somewhat like the Ford Ranchero or El Camino, but instead of being car-based, this is crossover based. That's not a bad thing - it makes for some wonderfully balanced handling, with great visibility, a decently low ride height (as compared to a body-on-frame truck), and car-like steering. No wonder - this is a FWD vehicle. That's not a knock; compared to the squirrelly rear-wheel stability of other small RWD trucks, the Maverick handles with predictability and fluidity. AWD is an option for those that require it (or if you want the 4,000lb towing package), but the FWD model is a very fine driver. Much like many crossovers, this is no mountain switchback-carver, but it feels stable and relatively tossable in aggressive cornering. Steering is light and relatively numb, but it is direct.

Ride quality is maybe a touch more firm than I would prefer, no doubt a result of stiffened suspension to achieve the rather impressive 1,500lb total payload capacity of the truck. It's a worthwhile trade-off, as I wouldn't describe the ride as harsh or punishing, but you and your passengers will absolutely feel every bump on the road, even if just a little bit. Those expecting a Toyota Camry-like experience will no doubt be disappointed, but compared to other small body-on-frame trucks, the Maverick is comparatively well-mannered on uneven or bumpy roads.

It's worth noting that the stock tires are Continental ProContacts. I was surprised to see such a quality name-brand tire used as an OEM on a truck of this price. Good on Ford for not cheaping out here; as one friend once wisely told me: "Don't cheap out on your tires. They're the only part of the car that should be touching the ground."
IMG_2709.jpeg

The Contis are great OEM tires for general on-road usage, despite that weird seam that makes them all look out of round.

How does it perform?
Look, the Maverick is no performance vehicle, but I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the fact that the XL EcoBoost is a relatively small, lightweight vehicle putting out 250 horses and 277 pound-feet of twist from a 2.0L turbo four - in a package that comes in well under $25K. That's not insignificant, and if "cheap thrills" happens to be on your priority list, then the Maverick is a surprisingly solid option. In FWD format, the boosted Maverick will get to sixty in 7 seconds flat. More importantly for regular humans that drive their regular vehicles regularly in a regular way, the power means highway passing maneuvers and on-ramps are a breeze in this thing - the 8-speed delivers (mostly) smooth shifts and quick responses to throttle inputs, and the turbo provides plenty of low-end torque so you're never waiting on the tach to climb to get some movement to occur. The Maverick can be surprisingly entertaining to rev - it's just a shame that it's engine noise - while mostly quiet - isn't particularly nice to listen to. It's a turbo-4. Not a V8. Please don't confuse the two and amplify that exhaust note.

How is the gas mileage?
One of the biggest draws of the Maverick is it's efficiency - with gas pushing anywhere from 4 to 7 dollars a gallon around the country, a small truck with great mileage looks pretty attractive to a lot of folks. The Hybrid model promises some pretty impressive EPA estimates, but the EcoBoost is no slouch - driving around 60% highway, 40% city in hot and humid Alabama, I've been consistently getting 28-29mpg (26mpg low, 30mpg high) measured at the pump. Those are solid numbers, and a recent 665-mile round trip to the sugar-white beaches of Gulf Shores, AL with the family returned similar results (and likely would have given me 30-31mpg if it weren't for hitting traffic for long periods near our destination).

One thing to note is that the digital readout is consistently - and I mean almost to the tenth - 1.5mpg above the actual mileage as read at the pump. I'd chalk this up to typical computer over-estimation if it weren't for the fact that the range meter is uncannily accurate; the range given at around half a tank is usually no more than 10 miles, plus or minus, from the mileage I'll actually have when I'm ready to fill up. This leads to me to believe that Ford is intentionally over-estimating fuel mileage by their computers, which is an extremely minor annoyance. But why? What's the purpose in doing that?
IMG_2706.jpeg

Because it's late and I've got stuff to do in the morning. But! I'll be back to finish my epic review that no one will probably read tomorrow! Tune in next time - same Mav-time, same Mav-channel - to see my opinions on interior comfort, issues I've encountered, and how the Maverick does "trucky-stuff!"
Keep it up . Very interesting . Thanks for sharing . Look forward to your next post !

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well written and easy reading. 👍

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Didnt read your whole post, but I promise I will. However I noticed that you said your previous vehicles werent traditionally exciting. However you owned a Pontiac Grand Prix GT , by their own definition Pontiacs of that era WERE DRIVING EXCITEMENT!

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice review, however your praise for the Continental Eco Tires is misplaced. These are the cheapest tires Ford could find for their vehicles. The TX's are the second lowest rated tire on Tire Rack.com in the Maverick's size,
I find them hard, noisy and slick in the rain. IMO YMMV I am running 35 psi.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I agree, it’s a Ute! The spiritual descendant of the Ranchero. My first car was a 68 Fairlane Ranchero with a 302 4bbl, no rocket ship. My Dad several years earlier had a 65 Falcon Ranchero that originally had a 225 hp 289 that was removed and replaced with a solid lifter 289 High Performance from a wrecked Mustang. Sweet little Ute, very nice looking.
El Camino’s were great too.

hikonhui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tundra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great story telling. I like your story more then the Maverick. Can read stories like this all day long.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Background:

Why the Ford Maverick?

The Ordering Process

IMG_6931.jpeg

Exterior Styling

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

Interior Styling:

IMG_2713.jpeg

How does it drive?

IMG_2709.jpeg

How does it perform?

How is the gas mileage?

IMG_2706.jpeg

This is a good example of how much having realistic expectations for your light-duty, 19k truck can really help you enjoy the experience of driving/owning it to the fullest. A very enjoyable read and a much appreciated deep dive into my future bare-bones build! Thanks!

Sponsored

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

C'mon @Clifdawg we need MORE! I need to find out what you did after the trip :)

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks for the thoughtful and well written review. I'm looking forward to more insight from you. I too have a Velocity Blue 2.0 EB XL. I enjoy driving it and love the color which it is the first blue vehicle I've owned since my 1966 Vette.

Again, thanks. :cool:

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As far as tires, everyone needs to check thier tire pressure when taking delivery. The tires are usually over inflated for transport. Usually by about 9 lbs. Will definitely give a harsher ride. Should be inflated to whatever the door sticker says.

PD Rich

First Name
Pede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F250, 2010 Taurus Limited

Background:

Why the Ford Maverick?

The Ordering Process

IMG_6931.jpeg

Exterior Styling

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

Interior Styling:

IMG_2713.jpeg

How does it drive?

IMG_2709.jpeg

How does it perform?

How is the gas mileage?

IMG_2706.jpeg

I enjoyed your review. I ordered XLT area 51 with only standard hitch on Sept. 9th, 2021. Sound familiar? Now my take on this deal. I registered my order on Ford site and they actually keep the progress up to date except dealer arrival. I received a call from my assigned salesperson at Rivertown Ford in Columbus Georgia Dec. 20 and got a Christmas surprise on Dec. 22. Its a new world as I had an F250 V10. All time mileage at 7500 miles is 30.4 and highway gets 34 mpg in my rural setting. Only issue is does my wife on me get the mav. for the day. 100% glad we got it and the dealership treated us right, no binder and MSRP. Thanks Clifdawg for letting me hitch a ride..

Grunkster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 lariat powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you give specifics on perceived xl seat comfort? Must be good wasn't mentioned.
Sponsored