0-60 skips 2nd gear

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forte GT, Prius Prime, Forte GT-line, Maverick awd
  • Banned
Anyone else notice that when you accelerate full throttle with the 2.0L the transmission goes 1-3-4? It might not be the worst thing since the 3-4 shift puts the engine at it's torque peak. It does feel odd since there is such a big gap in rpm. I do know that from 0-48mph it feels amazing. 48-60 feels like you dropped an anchor (not exactly but you know what I mean if you own one).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
No trans is fine. If you look at everyone's 0-60 videos it is identical to mine. The shifts and rpms are exactly the same. I calculated all the gearing, mph and rpms last night to verify my thoughts. This is just the way Ford designed it. I am sure they had reasons for 2nd and 3rd gear being so close to each other.

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
your truck will also shift from 2-4 if it shifts at around 45-48 mph. I am not saying it is the worst thing, just that it is odd to have a vehicle that skips gears under full acceleration. Avoiding another shift by avoiding 3rd gear might be quicker the way it is set up

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Ford Maverick 0-60 skips 2nd gear gearing2
Ford Maverick 0-60 skips 2nd gear gearin

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Gear Ratio Calculator (tremec.com)

If you can agree that the truck shifts twice to get to 60mph (1-2 and 2-4) then you can see by the gear ratios in our trucks there is no way that it can hit 60mph in 3rd gear. 6000rpm in 3rd gear in a non 4k tow 2.0L would be 45mph. That means the transmission has to be using 4th gear to get to 60mph.

Like I said it is not necessarily a bad thing since avoiding another shift (2-3) might actually be quicker since the 2-4 shift put the engine in the torque peak.

I did not believe it either but if all the numbers I am using are right than it makes sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Your not even making any sense. This is supposed to be a meaningful conversation about how the transmission was engineered. Not about you being mad the engineers seemed to have designed the truck to skip 3rd under hard acceleration. And there are all sorts of reasons to do this, why this exact decision was made is something only the engineers can answer 100%. I just find it interesting that it was done this way.

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It probably shifts depending on the rpm and load that you give it. I skip gears in my manual ranger if my acceleration and rpm indicate I don't need the middle gear. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to do the extra shift.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP is 100% correct.

https://advancedtransmission.com/2021/01/12/the-new-ford-8f35-8-speed-transmission/

"Ford decided that there was no real advantage to having 9 speeds, and the extra gear added weight and cost that didn’t improve fuel economy. Essentially, Ford decided to remove the 4th gear, among other adjustments. These changes made the 2-3 shift step very small, and the transmission acts as a 7-speed under most driving conditions."

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Your not even making any sense. This is supposed to be a meaningful conversation about how the transmission was engineered. Not about you being mad the engineers seemed to have designed the truck to skip 3rd under hard acceleration. And there are all sorts of reasons to do this, why this exact decision was made is something only the engineers can answer 100%. I just find it interesting that it was done this way.
Maybe 3rd is a kickdown 2nd gear?
Dodge Rams used to have a 5 speed auto that had I believe two 3rd gears, one for acceleration from a stop or lower speeds upshifting and one for kickdown. You could finagle the shifter to access to second 3rd gear for an upshift but it was very quick before a shift to 4th was needed. Their 8 speed cured this problem, I didn't like it.
My 10 speed 5.0 F150 loves to skip gears in drive unless you really plant your foot on the floor.
Sport and Tow Haul will use all 10 gears.

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gear Ratio Calculator (tremec.com)

If you can agree that the truck shifts twice to get to 60mph (1-2 and 2-4) then you can see by the gear ratios in our trucks there is no way that it can hit 60mph in 3rd gear. 6000rpm in 3rd gear in a non 4k tow 2.0L would be 45mph. That means the transmission has to be using 4th gear to get to 60mph.

Like I said it is not necessarily a bad thing since avoiding another shift (2-3) might actually be quicker since the 2-4 shift put the engine in the torque peak.

I did not believe it either but if all the numbers I am using are right than it makes sense.
I have wondered from early on if the stated ratios for the Maverick's transmission were correct, having 2 & 3 ratios so close. I have noticed that if I am going 20mph after making a turn & then floor it, it takes off hard, but the first perceptible shift is about 47 mph. If flooring it from a dead stop first shift is around 30 & the next is around 45. It doesn't always shift at the same rpms depending on what drive mode I am in, sometimes its 5800 & sometimes its as high as 6200. The next shift doesn't occur until around 75. Makes me wonder if sometimes skips 2nd & sometimes skips 3rd depending on the conditions. Either way it really works well in my opinion.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
One is a kickdown 2nd gear, the other is the upshift 2nd gear, not a new way of doing things.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
My FX4 (no tow package) only uses one of the 2nd gears when upshifting.

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at some more videos tonight and I think I was wrong. It seems that the transmission actually skips 2nd gear not third like I originally thought. The problem is since the 9 speed design that this transmission is based on had the 4th gear removed which used to be in between the current 3rd and 4th gear we have. Our fourth gear is actually the 5th gear this transmission was originally designed with.

The more I look into this the more it frustrates me. Some Mavericks are skipping 2nd and others are skipping 3rd instead. I made a video of mine this morning and based on the rpms at speeds and using the gear calculator mine is actually skipping 3rd gear. Many of the videos I analyzed online the truck skips 2nd. I am surprised that it varies. Regardless the issues remains that we are stuck with a GM transmission that had 4th gear removed
Sponsored

Last edited: