First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So Hyundai FINALLY dropped the pricing of the Hyundai. (After Destination) the Hyundai starts about $3,700 over Maverick and tops out $7,000+++ over a loaded Maverick. At that point you could get a loaded Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy or Ford Edge Titanium. Or better yet. Ford Ranger Supercrew 4x4 Lariat Lux package. Seams like Hyundai dropped the ball.

3875072D-BB30-4A40-8A0B-AF439A46CE9D.jpeg
I think Ford was smart about the interior and the packaging. I don't mind the abundance of hard plastics in the Mav. I would mind paying $3000 more for base. That... And if you put up a picture of a Santa Fe next to a Santa Cruz at a distance, they're the same.

You may like that, but I don't.

Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison Untitled presentation

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really just ask where the market is at that price for them. They needed to price it like an SUV (maybe I'm a little out of touch here...I guess it is in line with the Santa Fe pricing...sort of?). The thing is, it is priced where I would expect dealers to get $3-5K in discounts to buyers. Except that market doesn't exist currently. I would never pay sticker for one of these.

Conversely, the Maverick is priced so aggressively, it is like they built in rebates and discounts - it is just priced on another level.

The question is, who is that Santa Cruz exactly being built for? Good luck to them I guess. This coming from someone who doesn't think it is too bad looking or a bad concept either, it just seems to be missing the mark. Ford seems to know exactly their target audience...and then some.
You might be on to something here with the built in rebates.... The build to order system may work more like that. 🤷‍♂️

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has more American factories, employees, products and parts than any other maker by a LANDSLIDE.
And yes I high doubt most of those parts on the Hyundai are American made.
Not to mention the RND was likely done in Korea and the profits go to Korea.
#agree... Where the profits go is important to me.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's already doing that. They are building the largest battery factory in the world right here in America.

Farley has already leaked that they are working on all-electric versions of the 2023 Ranger as well as potentially the Mav..

And then we have this... they are already planning to double production capacity for the F-150 Lightening..
https://www.yahoo.com/now/ford-f-150-lightning-production-165200740.html
Great, but why are they planning to make more Ecoboost Maverick's than hybrids and giving those first priority?

Sponsored

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got my Santa Cruz hundred dollar reservation refunded. I guess I would’ve been happy with either one but there were no base models available within 150 miles of my house and those were up charged two to $3000. If you think the Ford reservation system is bad you have no idea.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Great, but why are they planning to make more Ecoboost Maverick's than hybrids and giving those first priority?
Bc they might use a different mix of supply parts that are not as constrained as other parts on the hybrid? Pure conjecture on my part, but as a prior product manager, a good guess.

Also, the order log for the Eco-Boost might be showing higher selling prices or higher margins than the order log for the hybrids.

Typically, a company aligns resources where they see the fewest supply constraints and the greatest return.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Observation: The Maverick is going to replace the EcoSport in Ford's lineup. Prediction: the Maverick will sell much better than the EcoSport. Ford will make more money on the Maverick than on the EcoSport.

Observation: The Santa Cruz replaces nothing in the Hyundai line up. The SC is based on the Tucson, but probably won't take sales away from the Tucson. Prediction: Hyundai will make money filling a gap in their line-up.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Observation: The Maverick is going to replace the EcoSport in Ford's lineup. Prediction: the Maverick will sell much better than the EcoSport. Ford will make more money on the Maverick than on the EcoSport.

Observation: The Santa Cruz replaces nothing in the Hyundai line up. The SC is based on the Tucson, but probably won't take sales away from the Tucson. Prediction: Hyundai will make money filling a gap in their line-up.
It will be interesting to see if it suffers from poor sales as it’s larger brother; the Honda Ridgeline

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And if you put up a picture of a Santa Fe next to a Santa Cruz at a distance, they're the same.
Tucson, not Santa Fe (two base models side by side):
Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison SC vs Tucson

You can tell the only reason the body width of the SC is higher than the Tucson is because the SC gets pretty big fender flares and wider wheels. That said, surprisingly they don't share a single panel of body work, although I suspect many parts such as the windshield, mirrors, door handles and the like are identical to reduce costs.

Of course from the side and back they look nothing alike (base model SE w/ black wrapped stock wheels IIRC):
Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison 278C1AAE-3665-473D-B9D0-CF373C4C3C9C

BTW, they just released this Canadian commercial, and aside from the warranty not being 10 years 100K miles like in the US, everything else is more or less the same at least in the top trim. Great commercial, really shows off all the features! For example, I didn't even realize the SC could do the same angled tailgate trick.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
#agree... Where the profits go is important to me.
The Santa Cruz was designed by a team of American engineers and the powertrains are built and vehicles assembled here in the US, and won't even be sold in Korea as its designed to be a North America market only vehicle. Domestic parts content is 53%, higher than a lot of "domestic" brands:
Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison Capture.JPG

I don't think we know what the domestic parts content will be of the Maverick, but its not made in the US, and it could be like the Chevy Trailblazer that only has 1% domestic parts content, even though its an American brand name.

The Ford Ranger is a VERY American vehicle, but the Maverick probably not so much.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tucson, not Santa Fe (two base models side by side):
SC vs Tucson.jpg

You can tell the only reason the body width of the SC is higher than the Tucson is because the SC gets pretty big fender flares and wider wheels. That said, surprisingly they don't share a single panel of body work, although I suspect many parts such as the windshield, mirrors, door handles and the like are identical to reduce costs.

Of course from the side and back they look nothing alike (base model SE w/ black wrapped stock wheels IIRC):
278C1AAE-3665-473D-B9D0-CF373C4C3C9C.jpeg

BTW, they just released this Canadian commercial, and aside from the warranty not being 10 years 100K miles like in the US, everything else is more or less the same at least in the top trim. Great commercial, really shows off all the features! For example, I didn't even realize the SC could do the same angled tailgate trick.
I wasn't trying to convince anyone that is the same car; just that the styling cues are very very similar.

Which one is the Santa Cruz? The one on the least left?

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Santa Cruz was designed by a team of American engineers and the powertrains are built and vehicles assembled here in the US, and won't even be sold in Korea as its designed to be a North America market only vehicle. Domestic parts content is 53%, higher than a lot of "domestic" brands:
Capture.JPG

I don't think we know what the domestic parts content will be of the Maverick, but its not made in the US, and it could be like the Chevy Trailblazer that only has 1% domestic parts content, even though its an American brand name.

The Ford Ranger is a VERY American vehicle, but the Maverick probably not so much.
That's fine. I hope you enjoy your Santa Cruz.

I understand that much design for the Santa Cruz and many if their parts were assembled in the USA. Apparently they've made an effort to prove so. I've not seen the same information for the Maverick, but I'd look forward to seeing it. We know the Ecoboost is built in Cleveland. While the hybrid ICE is built in Mexico, the transmission is built in the USA. 🤷‍♂️ Can't know everything until we see a similar release from Ford.

My point was, where are profits for Hyundai going? I thought Hyundai was based in South Korea?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't trying to convince anyone that is the same car; just that the styling cues are very very similar.

Which one is the Santa Cruz? The one on the least left?
I know, but you said Santa Fe, the Santa Fe looks nothing like the Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz is based on the Tucson, and shares the Tucsons front styling, not the Santa Fe.

This is the Santa Fe:
Ford Maverick 🥊 2022 Maverick vs Santa Cruz PRICING, SPECS, TRIMS Comparison Capture.JPG

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know, but you said Santa Fe, the Santa Fe looks nothing like the Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz is based on the Tucson, and shares the Tucsons front styling, not the Santa Fe.

This is the Santa Fe:
Capture.JPG
I see. Yup. You're right!
Sponsored