DIY ceramic coat + Alto Blue = a shiny truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ceramic coated the Mav over the weekend.... came out really nice, but man, a lot of work. Did it myself. It is not an easy job, took a day and a half more or less…. 2 coats. To do it right, the prep is kinda brutal, props for dudes that do work like that for a living. But I saved about a grand. Still spent over $150 on everything, not including the future potential chiropractor visits! :LOL: Not sure I’ll ever do it again. That said, we had it in an unclassified car show yesterday and the Mav had way more looks and questions than the 2024 Mustang GT Nite Pony behind us and the 1972 Road Runner in front of us. I should get a commission from Ford for how many potential customers I sent their way yesterday.
I think you saved more than a grand. That's about how much I spent to have a much smaller vehicle professionally detailed and coated, and that was 10 years ago. I do not have the nerve to attempt it myself.
Sponsored

OP
OP

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I also have Alto Blue but yours looks so much better than mine lol.
By the way, What tires are those?
BFG KO2s... 255/65R17. And I always get asked so will answer now... yes they fit with no lift, and they do not rub. :)

Joe Mac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 F250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For a real ceramic coating the paint needs to be clay bared first. But your truck looks great

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$20 and 5 minutes: looks good coming out of the automatic washer.

This is 5 days and 4 nights outdoors and 150 miles of road later. (Didn't take a photo day of which was even better.)

But the glass, there's an undesirable effect on the glass making me not want to go back to this location. Which is a bummer. It's less than 2 miles from home.

7494E876-BDFC-4B80-B73E-7A7A187A3242.jpeg

Hard to really photograph the glass.
AD5014DE-C7B2-4826-B699-4A1F84205854.jpeg
Yeah, that ain't good. I'd skip that next time. Whatever they are using isn't playing nice on the glass.

Sponsored

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BFG KO2s... 255/65R17. And I always get asked so will answer now... yes they fit with no lift, and they do not rub. :)
can you please post more pics of your truck from random angles if you have any.

OP
OP

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For a real ceramic coating the paint needs to be clay bared first. But your truck looks great
Yes sir, hence the day and a half it took me to get it all done. I’m no pro lol.

k2rizzle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Tremor XLT - Atlas Blue CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
$20 and 5 minutes: looks good coming out of the automatic washer.

This is 5 days and 4 nights outdoors and 150 miles of road later. (Didn't take a photo day of which was even better.)

But the glass, there's an undesirable effect on the glass making me not want to go back to this location. Which is a bummer. It's less than 2 miles from home.

7494E876-BDFC-4B80-B73E-7A7A187A3242.jpeg

Hard to really photograph the glass.
AD5014DE-C7B2-4826-B699-4A1F84205854.jpeg
Gtechniq water spot remover. Wear gloves...

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Ceramic coated the Mav over the weekend.... came out really nice, but man, a lot of work. Did it myself. It is not an easy job, took a day and a half more or less…. 2 coats. To do it right, the prep is kinda brutal, props for dudes that do work like that for a living. But I saved about a grand. Still spent over $150 on everything, not including the future potential chiropractor visits! :LOL: Not sure I’ll ever do it again. That said, we had it in an unclassified car show yesterday and the Mav had way more looks and questions than the 2024 Mustang GT Nite Pony behind us and the 1972 Road Runner in front of us. I should get a commission from Ford for how many potential customers I sent their way yesterday.

Mav ceramic coat.jpg
Wow! Love the finished look, Wes! Glad to see you are enjoying your Maverick and thanks for sharing this with everyone.

Ridingorange23

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Subaru outback’s
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mav ceramic coat.jpg
I just got my 23 cyber orange hybrid on 9-21-23. A man that works at the dealership also does ceramic coating and is going to do paint, windows and rims for $575 and will redo in two years at no charge. He said the product he uses has a hardness rating of 13. He’s done the vehicles of others that work there and they’re pleased with his work. His price is way better than everywhere else I checked. Going to have it done after I get the spay In bed liner done this week.

OP
OP

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just got my 23 cyber orange hybrid on 9-21-23. A man that works at the dealership also does ceramic coating and is going to do paint, windows and rims for $575 and will redo in two years at no charge. He said the product he uses has a hardness rating of 13. He’s done the vehicles of others that work there and they’re pleased with his work. His price is way better than everywhere else I checked. Going to have it done after I get the spay In bed liner done this week.
Very nice! I was quoted $1200. Seems to really vary by region and/or vendor.

Ridingorange23

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Subaru outback’s
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very nice! I was quoted $1200. Seems to really vary by region and/or vendor.
That $1,200 was the going rate for most places around here too. Rates for spray on bed liners vary too. My dealer doesn’t do it and the one in another town north of here wanted $525 and another dealer to the south wanted $600 so I’m getting it done at a non dealer shop for $475 and getting a tri fold cover installed same day same place for $1,199. Wish I was getting a better deal on that but at least it will be done same place same day and was the place my dealer recommended. Hoping the ceramic coating will make my cyber orange have more pop to it. Thought about doing it myself but I’m just too old and tired to try. You did a good job on yours.
Sponsored