Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ceramic coated the Mav over the weekend.... came out really nice, but man, a lot of work. Did it myself. It is not an easy job, took a day and a half more or less…. 2 coats. To do it right, the prep is kinda brutal, props for dudes that do work like that for a living. But I saved about a grand. Still spent over $150 on everything, not including the future potential chiropractor visits! :LOL: Not sure I’ll ever do it again. That said, we had it in an unclassified car show yesterday and the Mav had way more looks and questions than the 2024 Mustang GT Nite Pony behind us and the 1972 Road Runner in front of us. I should get a commission from Ford for how many potential customers I sent their way yesterday.

Ford Maverick DIY ceramic coat + Alto Blue = a shiny truck Mav ceramic coat
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I paid (for the first time ever) the "ceramic" spray on coating at the automated car wash.

It looks shinier, but there's a film, a fog on the window glass and windex does not easily remove it.

Hmmm.....🤔

Not sure I'm doing that again but I'd think this would happen to everyone!?!?

So I'm confused why people would put up with film on windows. ????

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I paid (for the first time ever) the "ceramic" spray on coating at the automated car wash.

It looks shinier, but there's a film, a fog on the window glass and windex does not easily remove it.

Hmmm.....🤔

I've never seen that. But I have used Rain-X window wash on every vehicle I have owned for the last 20 years.

kpomeraning

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav on order, '17 Focus, '16 Focus, '09 Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ceramic coated the Mav over the weekend.... came out really nice, but man, a lot of work. Did it myself. It is not an easy job, took a day and a half more or less…. 2 coats.
Looks great, Wes. What product did you choose?

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Real ceramic looks great. I've been using adam's graphene spray which is about as close to real ceramic as you can get without getting into the weeds with it. Looks good but you don't get that polished glass look that real ceramic gives.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Hmmm.....🤔

That's not really ceramic. Vaguely similar chemistry but with real ceramic, THOROUGH paint prep is everything and you apply it like one square foot at a time. Spraying some crap on top of dirty, oxidized paint is never going to come close.

OP
OP
generalmgr

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hmmm.....🤔

The touchless carwash near my house has a "ceramic" spray that is part of the deluxe wash... What actually is in it is anybody's guess, but It has never clouded my windows.... and does seem to help a bit with keeping the dust off the truck. Or that could just be me justifying in my head spending the extra buck on snake oil. :LOL:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What a neighbor hood!!!!

Sponsored

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ceramic coated the Mav over the weekend.... came out really nice, but man, a lot of work. Did it myself. It is not an easy job, took a day and a half more or less…. 2 coats. To do it right, the prep is kinda brutal, props for dudes that do work like that for a living. But I saved about a grand. Still spent over $150 on everything, not including the future potential chiropractor visits! :LOL: Not sure I’ll ever do it again. That said, we had it in an unclassified car show yesterday and the Mav had way more looks and questions than the 2024 Mustang GT Nite Pony behind us and the 1972 Road Runner in front of us. I should get a commission from Ford for how many potential customers I sent their way yesterday.

Mav ceramic coat.jpg
I also have Alto Blue but yours looks so much better than mine lol.
By the way, What tires are those?

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mav ceramic coat.jpg
Congratulations on doing it yourself! Looks spectacular!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's not really ceramic. Vaguely similar chemistry but with real ceramic, THOROUGH paint prep is everything and you apply it like one square foot at a time. Spraying some crap on top of dirty, oxidized paint is never going to come close.
All that aside, I'm not complaining about the painted surfaces. It's the windows that don't want to come "clean" now. 😩

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

$20 and 5 minutes: looks good coming out of the automatic washer.

This is 5 days and 4 nights outdoors and 150 miles of road later. (Didn't take a photo day of which was even better.)

But the glass, there's an undesirable effect on the glass making me not want to go back to this location. Which is a bummer. It's less than 2 miles from home.

Ford Maverick DIY ceramic coat + Alto Blue = a shiny truck 7494E876-BDFC-4B80-B73E-7A7A187A3242

Hard to really photograph the glass.
Ford Maverick DIY ceramic coat + Alto Blue = a shiny truck AD5014DE-C7B2-4826-B699-4A1F84205854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hmmm.....🤔

I had a similar issue after using a car soap that included ceramic in it. I either used it too concentrated or let it sit for too long, because I ended up with spots all over the glass that did not want to come off. I used a car soap intended for stripping old wax to get it off. It still involved some elbow grease and a grippy towel. A similar product that you probably already have around the house is liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn. Try putting some directly on a damp towel and scrub really hard. You might need to revisit the car wash for a rinse after you're done.
Sponsored