Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As of this morning, I picked up my Ford Maverick Lariat from an appointment at my local detailer to ceramic coat it for me. Let me just say I could not be happier with the results. It literally looks and feels like glass. It doesn't even feel like I'm touching paint anymore rather it feels like touching a window. It looks better than new. I figured since I'm keeping this vehicle, it's well worth the investment. It's reassuring knowing that my vehicle is well-protected for the long-run. All I have to do is maintenance washes and spray it with quick detailer. I never have to hand-wax it ever again. For anyone that hasn't had this done to their own Maverick and intend on keeping it (not reselling it for a quick buck), you should definitely have this done. You will not regret it.

20220818_084632.jpg
20220818_084643.jpg
20220818_084703.jpg
20220818_084557.jpg

20220818_084609.jpg
20220818_084614.jpg
20220818_084626.jpg
Why didnā€™t you also have them do a paint correction?
It appears (especially with the price you quoted) they only did a clean and coating
I suppose with that color (my first Maverick was Area 51 and I loved it) it would be less important

The best way to consider ceramic coating is to call it a permanent wax type of thing
It doesnā€™t protect the paint from impacts like Clearbra would, it just makes the surface extra slick so dirt wonā€™t stick
Iā€™m sure there are other minute details but thatā€™s the basics

Maverick#2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Pepper Red Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks fantastic!! I noticed you had the black Maverick decal on your tailgate. Any issues with your coating and the decal? Over the coating or under? I had one shop say they would need to coat around any decal. Haven't got my truck yet but want to be prepared.

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

To clarifyā€¦. Paint correction is the removal of imperfections aka dirt/debris/swirls/orange peel

OP
OP
MightyMaverick

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why didnā€™t you also have them do a paint correction?
It appears (especially with the price you quoted) they only did a clean and coating
I suppose with that color (my first Maverick was Area 51 and I loved it) it would be less important

The best way to consider ceramic coating is to call it a permanent wax type of thing
It doesnā€™t protect the paint from impacts like Clearbra would, it just makes the surface extra slick so dirt wonā€™t stick
Iā€™m sure there are other minute details but thatā€™s the basics
Since the vehicle is so new and I properly wash it, the paint did not need any correction. That's why it was much more affordable. If it were a 5-10 year old vehicle with many imperfections, it would be a different story.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MightyMaverick

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To clarifyā€¦. Paint correction is the removal of imperfections aka dirt/debris/swirls/orange peel
Correct, particularly swirl marks and surface scratches so the vehicle looks brand new again.

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To answer your questions, it is a paint protection. Think of it as a clear film around the whole vehicle that you can't see. It's like having a clear bra installed on the whole car with the added benefit of no ugly seems where the clear bra stops. Also, it is extremely water repellent. Instead of the water curtaining or just sitting on the paint, it will bead and repel right off of it which makes maintenance a breeze. Speaking of which, bug guts or road grime will also repel right off and not stick to the paint. It is well worth the investment if you want to keep your vehicle protected for the long run.
All true . . . BUT . . . The paint protection film (clear bra) will protect the paint from rock chips whereas the ceramic coating will NOT protect the paint from rock chips. Protection film generally applied to areas that gets rock chips. Some people do the whole car with the film, but that is over kill and expensive. Ceramic coating like you mentioned is the better way for areas of the car not prone for getting hit with kicked up debris. The seam is barely visible. YES by all means get the ceramic coating, but I would highly recommend also getting the protection film (clear bra).

OP
OP
MightyMaverick

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks fantastic!! I noticed you had the black Maverick decal on your tailgate. Any issues with your coating and the decal? Over the coating or under? I had one shop say they would need to coat around any decal. Haven't got my truck yet but want to be prepared.
My detailer didn't even mention any issues with the decals at all. Wasn't even a cause for concern. I applied those myself back in March and they are holding up incredibly well. They only cost me $23 on Etsy and it only took 45 minutes to apply. I chose white because it's a nice contrast. Black would've been too lost and hard to see.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Correct, particularly swirl marks and surface scratches so the vehicle looks brand new again.
I checked with 2 or 3 professionals and the general opinion was that new vehicles normally don't have significant paint correction or imperfections. Doesn't hurt if you do but might be more work for little results on a economy vehicle with such a thin paint coat. If I were having the car at a car show it would be different. Mine is a daily driver. But all 3 said they do claybar on new cars 60-90 days old just to make the surface free of contaminates and orange peel for ceramic coating to stick and buffing better.

I clay barred my Maverick after 90 days old and definably glad I did. My neighbor, professional detailer for 4 or 5 exotic car dealers, checked paint with a paint depth meter.

Ceramic coatings are great. Have done it myself on 3 vehicles, 1 motorcycle. It is not hard or complicated at all, just follow bottle directions. Took 5 or 6 hours total. it is pretty physical to buff by hand but well worth it. Roof of the Maverick is a pain from a ladder. So if you don't like physical work, get someone else to do it, but I enjoyed the project and results.

1) wash with slate soap or Dawn soap
2) claybar - alcohol cleaning wipe down
3) Dry water off (mostly with a leaf blower)
4) Apply ceramic (no more difficult than applying a liquid wax.)
5) Buff off with micro-fiber rags
6) Apply hardener and buff off to a shine.
7) Buff again
8) Critical that you put in a closed garage for 24 hours
Ceramic is a little sticky for 4 or 5 hrs making it subject to attracting dust in the coating.

When doing ceramic coating I only use premium microfiber from the "Rag Shack", and once used on ceramic coating and hardener I throw them away. Ceramic is a silicon chemical and turns rags into a like sandpaper when hardened, and hard to wash out.

Porsche Cayman above was done 6 yrs ago and still looks pretty close to the day I ceramic coated it. Total cost in materials was probably $120 for everything and have done 2 cars and 1 motorcycle and still have enough (4.0 Oz bottle) ceramic coating for 1 more car.

Last edited:

DHarbaugh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford F-150, 2016 Ford Flex
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As of this morning, I picked up my Ford Maverick Lariat from an appointment at my local detailer to ceramic coat it for me. Let me just say I could not be happier with the results. It literally looks and feels like glass. It doesn't even feel like I'm touching paint anymore rather it feels like touching a window. It looks better than new. I figured since I'm keeping this vehicle, it's well worth the investment. It's reassuring knowing that my vehicle is well-protected for the long-run. All I have to do is maintenance washes and spray it with quick detailer. I never have to hand-wax it ever again. For anyone that hasn't had this done to their own Maverick and intend on keeping it (not reselling it for a quick buck), you should definitely have this done. You will not regret it.

20220818_084632.jpg
20220818_084643.jpg
20220818_084703.jpg
20220818_084557.jpg

20220818_084609.jpg
20220818_084614.jpg
20220818_084626.jpg
What did this cost you? And what region / state are you in?

Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes the professional ceramic coatings are a little more tricky to do correctly. There are many ceramic coatings that have less less sio2 in them and can be done by anyone. They don't last as long but do work very well. As far as lasting a life time. I sure don't think so. The professionals i know even say so,. They say it needs it done again after 4 or so years. To me its not worth it. do it yourself with the DIY version of ceramics. Youtube has some good reviewers who test various brands. One guy does it to a test hood then lets it outside for over a year to see how well they hold up.

DHarbaugh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford F-150, 2016 Ford Flex
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes the professional ceramic coatings are a little more tricky to do correctly. There are many ceramic coatings that have less less sio2 in them and can be done by anyone. They don't last as long but do work very well. As far as lasting a life time. I sure don't think so. The professionals i know even say so,. They say it needs it done again after 4 or so years. To me its not worth it. do it yourself with the DIY version of ceramics. Youtube has some good reviewers who test various brands. One guy does it to a test hood then lets it outside for over a year to see how well they hold up.
Would you by chance know any steps needed to reapply a new ceramic coating. Like do you have to take off the original cer. coating? Like with a claybar?

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealer wanted $599 for a Ceramic Coat. Decent price, when I asked if I could watch the procedure the hard sell ended. Probably a scam.
Sponsored