First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How was this experience? Seems the truck is squatting a lot. I have the same trailer setup and will be towing vehicles every now and then. How's the truck's power does it rev high all the time pulling all this load?

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I built this overlanding trailer just for use with this truck. Front has a shower/toiler/stove/propane/battery/lights gear and then of course my SXS and overlanding tent on the top.
Ford Maverick What's your Maverick towing?❓Show & Tell IMG_0368

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I plan on towing the mid sized uhaul moving trailer
Same. I rent the U-haul 5x8 maybe a half dozen times a year. A Maverick hybrid should tow that no sweat. Heck, U-haul will rent that to you if you show up with a Corolla.

I'm not too interested in towing a camper. I'd rather have a pop-up like a FWC Swift Shell or (for more than the Maverick maxes out at) an OEV Camp-M.

Something interesting I saw at SEMA was the Hitch Hotel. They make both a trailer version and a hitch version.

Don't have much faith in the trailer version. Something that wide with that short a ball-to-axle length is asking for a lot of swaying. And I'm trying to avoid a trailer of any sorts.

I'm sort of wary on the hitch version being light enough for the Maverick's tongue weight capacity, but it's shown on a Subaru Crosstrek and a Scion xB.

https://www.startengine.com/hitch-hotel
https://hitchhotel.com/

Sponsored

Deleted member 1370

Same. I rent the U-haul 5x8 maybe a half dozen times a year. A Maverick hybrid should tow that no sweat. Heck, U-haul will rent that to you if you show up with a Corolla.

I'm not too interested in towing a camper. I'd rather have a pop-up like a FWC Swift Shell or (for more than the Maverick maxes out at) an OEV Camp-M.

Something interesting I saw at SEMA was the Hitch Hotel. They make both a trailer version and a hitch version.

Don't have much faith in the trailer version. Something that wide with that short a ball-to-axle length is asking for a lot of swaying. And I'm trying to avoid a trailer of any sorts.

I'm sort of wary on the hitch version being light enough for the Maverick's tongue weight capacity, but it's shown on a Subaru Crosstrek and a Scion xB.

https://www.startengine.com/hitch-hotel
https://hitchhotel.com/
Well if they will rent the 5x8 for someone whom had a Corolla then my maverick with the 4k tow package should be more than fine and safe enough to tow said same haul trailer or even the one that is one tier up above that one. Thanks for the info!

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Well if they will rent the 5x8 for someone whom had a Corolla then my maverick with the 4k tow package should be more than fine and safe enough to tow said same haul trailer or even the one that is one tier up above that one. Thanks for the info!
I agree. You shouldn't have a problem towing any of the U-haul trailers with the 4K tow package. Like all other U-haul trailers, the 6x12 enclosed is heavy as hell. According to the weight sticker on the last one I rented, it was 2400lbs empty. A cheapo single axle 6x12 is about 1300lbs empty, cheapo tandem axle being about 1800lbs.

I'd see if you could squeeze all your stuff into a 5x8. It's usually around 40%-45% less expensive than the 6x12 for a one-way move. Also you can go pretty much anywhere (even some drive-throughs) and you'll get noticeably better fuel mileage with the shorter/narrower/single axle trailer. The 6x12 scrubs pretty hard, so tight turns in gas stations meant for passenger vehicles can be challenging.

The 6x12 has brakes while the 5x8 and smaller do not. The trailers are designed for newbies and to be pretty idiot-proof, so if they thought brakes were essential on the 5x8 then they would be fitted. I've towed both trailers maxed out and didn't feel like I had a problem. You'll definitely feel something when you're braking, but I never felt like I ran out of braking power, even with the maxed out 5x8. The surge brakes help but they aren't as good as electric brakes on a retail (one you can buy and own) trailer.

I steer people (no pun intended) away from the 4x8 enclosed unless they have a very marginal budget and/or tow vehicle. The 4x8 enclosed is 33% smaller by volume than the 5x8 but only about 25% less expensive on a one-way. 5x8 and 6x12 are both about 5'5" tall. 4x8 is only 4' tall. A queen size mattress will fit in the 5x8 but not the 4x8. Granted the mattress will take up about 1/5th to 1/4 of the available floor space in the 5x8.

I'd also try to time your move so it's during the early summer. A lot of people tend to move in December or July, so the prices shoot up, as in, it's double now what it was in June. Also, you book today's rate no matter when you actually pick up the trailer, so you're likely not doing yourself a favor booking a summer 2022 move now unless inflation hits the ceiling. I usually suggest booking one month in advance in order to get your preferred pickup location.

All the enclosed trailers (4x8, 5x8, 6x12) and the 5x9 open trailer are available for one-way moves. All their other trailers are only available for local/round trip (bring it back the same place you pick it up from).

(Friend of mine manages a storage place that rents U-hauls and I help out when I'm available).

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How was this experience? Seems the truck is squatting a lot. I have the same trailer setup and will be towing vehicles every now and then. How's the truck's power does it rev high all the time pulling all this load?
Curious to know about that too, thought maybe a car dolly would be the only way to go to haul vehicles every once in a while on the maverick, but it looks like it may be handling a full size car trailer with the car loaded up just fine

Deleted member 1370

I agree. You shouldn't have a problem towing any of the U-haul trailers with the 4K tow package. Like all other U-haul trailers, the 6x12 enclosed is heavy as hell. According to the weight sticker on the last one I rented, it was 2400lbs empty. A cheapo single axle 6x12 is about 1300lbs empty, cheapo tandem axle being about 1800lbs.

I'd see if you could squeeze all your stuff into a 5x8. It's usually around 40%-45% less expensive than the 6x12 for a one-way move. Also you can go pretty much anywhere (even some drive-throughs) and you'll get noticeably better fuel mileage with the shorter/narrower/single axle trailer. The 6x12 scrubs pretty hard, so tight turns in gas stations meant for passenger vehicles can be challenging.

The 6x12 has brakes while the 5x8 and smaller do not. The trailers are designed for newbies and to be pretty idiot-proof, so if they thought brakes were essential on the 5x8 then they would be fitted. I've towed both trailers maxed out and didn't feel like I had a problem. You'll definitely feel something when you're braking, but I never felt like I ran out of braking power, even with the maxed out 5x8. The surge brakes help but they aren't as good as electric brakes on a retail (one you can buy and own) trailer.

I steer people (no pun intended) away from the 4x8 enclosed unless they have a very marginal budget and/or tow vehicle. The 4x8 enclosed is 33% smaller by volume than the 5x8 but only about 25% less expensive on a one-way. 5x8 and 6x12 are both about 5'5" tall. 4x8 is only 4' tall. A queen size mattress will fit in the 5x8 but not the 4x8. Granted the mattress will take up about 1/5th to 1/4 of the available floor space in the 5x8.

I'd also try to time your move so it's during the early summer. A lot of people tend to move in December or July, so the prices shoot up, as in, it's double now what it was in June. Also, you book today's rate no matter when you actually pick up the trailer, so you're likely not doing yourself a favor booking a summer 2022 move now unless inflation hits the ceiling. I usually suggest booking one month in advance in order to get your preferred pickup location.

All the enclosed trailers (4x8, 5x8, 6x12) and the 5x9 open trailer are available for one-way moves. All their other trailers are only available for local/round trip (bring it back the same place you pick it up from).

(Friend of mine manages a storage place that rents U-hauls and I help out when I'm available).
Wowzers! That’s a lot of info! But very helpful. I probably could squeeze everything into the 5x8 as you mentioned as I rent a room and not a whole house or apartment. Just got that 4k package as a just in case so A. I wouldn’t go over or if I ever needed that capability and B. I liked the taller diff ratio with said package. More torquey. Idiot proof is good since I hadn’t hauled anything as of yet. I don’t plan on moving now that’s for sure. I don’t wanna do that in winter. Even though I plan on going south doing such a trip in winter leaving New England is not ideal. It’ll be a spring/summer/fall move. All dependent on many factors of life. But I’ll steer away from July if I can as you said there.

Sponsored