Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've watched all the off road videos so far and here is what I'm seeing -

• For most people the AWD system will be fine
  • If you want to do serious off roading this is not for you - get a Bronco or Jeep
  • It doesn't seem to have any problems in mild or somewhat deep sand/dirt - so far this is actually where it seems to do the best
  • It seems to do ok in the mud but not much different than any other AWD system
  • It should do fine in the snow - again as well as any other AWD system (probably not as good as some small cars/suv such as an outback I'm guessing)
  • It lacks clearance so not great for deep ruts or any trails with lots of varied height obstacles in close proximity, the unibody here really shows up
  • In slippery conditions with a slope or angle the AWD system really seems to struggle and it's obvious locking diff would help. From the other vids I've seen it's the same issue where you can see it applying power to some wheels but then other wheels are just stopped when it would be helpful for them to be moving.
  • Adding a lift and bigger tires may help it get past some obstacles we've seen it have trouble with BUT the AWD system is pretty much like any car and the whole FX4 thing to me seems like smoke and mirrors. I honestly haven't seen it do much beyond what some of my SUV's with AWD could have done. You can try to make this look like a Off Road truck but unless you do something to the AWD system it can't become one. And adding $10K-15K to do all that in my mind just kills the reason for owning a cheap pickup.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those tires are the FX4 "milder' version of the Wildpeaks, I wonder if the beefier version of those or the Cooper AT3's would have made any difference in those wet/slippery conditions ?
I'm starting to think it wouldn't make that much of a difference. The limiting factors are the lack of a locking rear diff and low clearance. Tires won't make up for either of those.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've watched all the off road videos so far and here is what I'm seeing -

• For most people the AWD system will be fine
  • If you want to do serious off roading this is not for you - get a Bronco or Jeep
  • It doesn't seem to have any problems in mild or somewhat deep sand/dirt - so far this is actually where it seems to do the best
  • It seems to do ok in the mud but not much different than any other AWD system
  • It should do fine in the snow - again as well as any other AWD system (probably not as good as some small cars/suv such as an outback I'm guessing)
  • It lacks clearance so not great for deep ruts or any trails with lots of varied height obstacles in close proximity, the unibody here really shows up
  • In slippery conditions with a slope or angle the AWD system really seems to struggle and it's obvious locking diff would help. From the other vids I've seen it's the same issue where you can see it applying power to some wheels but then other wheels are just stopped when it would be helpful for them to be moving.
  • Adding a lift and bigger tires may help it get past some obstacles we've seen it have trouble with BUT the AWD system is pretty much like any car and the whole FX4 thing to me seems like smoke and mirrors. I honestly haven't seen it do much beyond what some of my SUV's with AWD could have done. You can try to make this look like a Off Road truck but unless you do something to the AWD system it can't become one. And adding $10K-15K to do all that in my mind just kills the reason for owning a cheap pickup.
Starting to agree, not seeing much our Highlander with AT tires couldn't do-

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Right but for how much ($$$)? If I bought an FX4 off-road Ford truck, I shouldn't have to "fix" anything just to drive it off-road.. Based on your list, someone would be looking at thousands of dollars for fixes you mention.. And you wouldn't really be fixing anything, you'd just be slightly enhancing what's already there.

For anyone wanting to off-road, the Maverick (FX4 or not) just isn't the right tool for the job. I don't care what the sticker on the side says.
It is what it is. Not a serious off roading machine AND Not advertised as such. More than adequate for most. If off roading is your thing the Maverick isn’t what you want. If you do some unpaved driving or winter driving with good tires it will do fine. For what I need it’s more than adequate and the price/mpg on the window sticker definitely works for me. Don’t compare it to a vehicle that costs $10k+ more that is designed to do more. Get what works for you and what’s important to you

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Seem the tires you see people putting on this car that people think its an off roading vehicle. Now we just just have a giggle and move on.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Good video showing what my truck could do (as delivered) without me doing it.
But consider this;
1) 4x4 = 4’ further & 4’ deeper.
2) The difference between getting stuck and walking out or “making it” is 90% the person behind the wheel and their ability to disassociate their concern for the value of their truck from the immediate action they are doing.
3) Aggressive tires always help off-road.
4) Posi’s/locker’s always help off-road.
But what I don’t get is who takes a new anything, let alone a Maverick to go beat the tar out of?
Its my daily driver and has to get me my pay check, and if all goes well offer a decent trade in on the next one.
4Wheeling is fun and if you want to do that great but get a older used Jeep/Samurai/buggy/UTV which is more suited to the task that you can tow to and from the trailhead when it piles up…
Also, I’d love to know how articulation could be improved in a meaningful way without burning cubic volumes of cash.

ToothGrinder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But what I don’t get is who takes a new anything, let alone a Maverick to go beat the tar out of?
Its my daily driver and has to get me my pay check, and if all goes well offer a decent trade in on the next one.
The age old, "let people have fun." It's not your car, let the person who owns it beat it up. I'll gladly watch these guys beat up their new Mavericks. At least then I'll have an understanding of what mine will be capable of.

Sponsored

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
The age old, "let people have fun." It's not your car, let the person who owns it beat it up. I'll gladly watch these guys beat up their new Mavericks. At least then I'll have an understanding of what mine will be capable of.
Agreed, this guy wasn’t beating it up and I wasn’t trying to make a direct comment against him.

Comet71

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Comet 71
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mercury Comet
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you can pull a 4k trailer and have the fx4 package... I'm sure the maverick can do some rock crawling.. without pulling the 4k on your shoulders... I'm sure Maverick will have enough power to do some rock crawling right???

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those tires are the FX4 "milder' version of the Wildpeaks, I wonder if the beefier version of those or the Cooper AT3's would have made any difference in those wet/slippery conditions ?
My FX4 came with Pirelli's, it's a sad tire for an "offroad" package. I have tires and wheels coming for it.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My FX4 came with Pirelli's, it's a sad tire for an "offroad" package. I have tires and wheels coming for it.
Yep- I have a set of Cooper AT3s in mind for whenever this thing I have on order gets built-

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stock for stock a Subaru Crosstrek would embarrass a Mav FX4 offroad. Likely mod for mod also.

If offroading is a high priority for you then you would do better moving up to a Ranger versus dumping money modding an economy priced Mav.
Sponsored

Last edited: