Jrplaw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I live in southern California and almost never encounter snow. But I'll be traveling to Utah for a few days for vacation. I have the hybrid, so its not AWD and was thinking of getting snow chains to hedge against bad weather. When I was signing off on the paperwork for the truck, I had to acknowledge that I couldn't have metal chains. Do you know what that's about?
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Engine
Undecided
Modern cars tend to not have enough space between the wheels and suspension system in the fender well. These larger wheels and tires are likely to cause chains to get stuck, leading to all kinds of malfunctions involving speed sensors and brake lines. Link chains are typically too big to fit in the lower profile fender wells, and will "grow" when in use, causing fender damage as well.

If chains are a must, I would seek out a low profile cable chain. Cables usually work better than link chains, because they fit better and don't come off as easily, but a good pair of cables can be expensive.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My dealer related that if you have a hybrid, you need insulated tire chains. He said, and I’m not sure if this is true, that if you have regular chains it can cause a fire due to the brakes generating electricity back to your battery. Of course he also tried to sell me $8000 in extended warranty and maintenance plans that literally cost half the price on the Ford website…so.
My dealer said not to use chains on a Maverick. Not sure why.

MayhemMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer related that if you have a hybrid, you need insulated tire chains. He said, and I’m not sure if this is true, that if you have regular chains it can cause a fire due to the brakes generating electricity back to your battery. Of course he also tried to sell me $8000 in extended warranty and maintenance plans that literally cost half the price on the Ford website…so.

Is this a joke or a bot ? OK Its a joke. And the tire store said >>>>>>>
Discount Tire, another joke ? no, Just no. No help at all. Get the chains that fit the tire and install them correctly with the tensioner. Run at low sane speed, take them off as soon as you can. If Discount Tire is going to spread noise, then buy off of Amazon.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is this a joke or a bot ? OK Its a joke. And the tire store said >>>>>>>
Actual chain chains, ya know, old school made out of "chains" are a big NO NO in any passenger or light truck built in the last 25 years.

You CAN (and sometimes must) use non-chain low profile traction devices. The cable types with "nubs" are almost always allowed.

Sponsored

MayhemMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not absolutely certain what my chains look like as after I bought them the snow went away. The difference in a poorly installed incorrect low profile chain or cable is vastly inferior to a correctly installed, fitted and tensioned "chain" chain so I say Bogus. There isnt much difference, maybe 1/2 inch. In the Maverick's case, and this is a Maverick forum, there is plenty of room. Plenty. Have you run anything on your Maverick ?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am not absolutely certain what my chains look like as after I bought them the snow went away. The difference in a poorly installed incorrect low profile chain or cable is vastly inferior to a correctly installed, fitted and tensioned "chain" chain so I say Bogus. There isnt much difference, maybe 1/2 inch. In the Maverick's case, and this is a Maverick forum, there is plenty of room. Plenty. Have you run anything on your Maverick ?
Have you noticed the wheel wells are made out of literally paper like felt? Not durable.

I hear your point of view.
But it's been standard to not use heavy chains on modern vehicles for 25 years now. If you feel there is clearance Clarance (small joke) there are probably other reasons not to as well.

Also, you void the warranty on your truck if you use chains. Sure.... they'd have to catch you I suppose.

OP
OP
Clock Doc

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Have you noticed the wheel wells are made out of literally paper like felt? Not durable.

I hear your point of view.
But it's been standard to not use heavy chains on modern vehicles for 25 years now. If you feel there is clearance Clarance (small joke) there are probably other reasons not to as well.

Also, you void the warranty on your truck if you use chains. Sure.... they'd have to catch you I suppose.
I don't know where you got your info but it is incorrect.
The owners manual clearly states when and how to use tire chains. If it's in the manual it can't void your warranty. People need to open that book instead of listening to so much misinformation.
Ford Maverick Tire Chains. Screenshot_20231122_114517_FordPass

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't know where you got your info but it is incorrect.
The owners manual clearly states when and how to use tire chains. If it's in the manual it can't void your warranty. People need to open that book instead of listening to so much misinformation.
Screenshot_20231122_114517_FordPass.jpg
Quit being an ass.

You don't understand the English language.

OP
OP
Clock Doc

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Quit being an ass.

You don't understand the English language.
So when you are proven to be in error your great grasp of the English language is to go straight to it's lowest form and insult me? Brilliant!

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So when you are proven to be in error your great grasp of the English language is to go straight to it's lowest form and insult me? Brilliant!
Stating the fact you didn't read or demonstrate comprehension of what Ford is telling you using the English language. Couldn't be more objective.

Enjoy your truck.

OP
OP
Clock Doc

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@GPSMan Could you please enlighten me on what Ford is saying in the owners manual. What did I exactly misunderstand? At no point did I read that by using snow chains it would void my warranty. Ford at the beginning of that chapter states using snow chains in some areas is required by law. It then goes on to give directions on the proper use of chains.
Now improper use of any aftermarket product can void your warranty but they do not forbid them.
Happy Thanksgiving.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@GPSMan Could you please enlighten me on what Ford is saying in the owners manual. What did I exactly misunderstand? At no point did I read that by using snow chains it would void my warranty. Ford at the beginning of that chapter states using snow chains in some areas is required by law. It then goes on to give directions on the proper use of chains.
Now improper use of any aftermarket product can void your warranty but they do not forbid them.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Really???

Ok. I can't cover everything in this "crash" course.

A) not everything is to be taken literally.

When someone says "gimmie a Kleenex" they literally mean "tissue".

When someone says "what kind of car do you drive?" they literally mean "vehicle" because cars are now a minority of vehicles on the road.

When someone says "roll down your window" they literally mean "open your window".

And isn't it funny we still "dial" someone's number on a cell phone?

B) Any place in your "general guidelines book" also maybe you call it a "manual" where it says "chains" is not to be taken literally. "Chains" is now common vernacular for "traction device".

C) You are allowed, recommended, and perhaps even required to use additional traction devices on your tires in winter. BUT NOT OLD STYLE "REAL CHAINS".

D) the same "general guideline book" also states to only put chains on the rear wheels. Are you going to literally follow that "advice" on a FWD Maverick?
BOOKS CONTAIN MISTAKES.

E) The pages in the "book" you cited also states only use low profile cable type "chains"' on the wheels provided on Maverick vehicles. Furthermore it states not to use chains at all; of any type if larger profile tires, of just 10 millimeters larger than stock are installed.

F) you must not be the only one confused, and the "book" was not written very well. This is why 98% of dealers, "the good ones" go over with new owners at time of delivery to only use low profile cable type tire "chains". They usually have new owners sign a paper, an "addendum" to "the book" at time of delivery stating these facts. If you did not receive a copy of this paper, or lost it, or forgot about it, I can send you a copy upon request.

Hope that helps you get the most out of your Maverick without damaging it.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone have a recomendation for tire chains. I won't be getting snows until next year and chains are always good to have. It's been 30yrs since buying chains, anyone have a preferance or ones to avoid?
I got some from Farm & Fleet on reccomendation from the parts guy there. Been carrying them in the nice case for years but never needed them.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid