Sponsored

Totally Bonehead Move

Is this a bonehead move by Ford or "Safety Feature"?

• Bonehead move

• Legit safety measure, not just "sounded good on paper".

Results are only viewable after voting.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
First off I admit this is kind of a bonehead move. Not only did I do it once, I did it twice. I forgot about the first time and "Ops, I did it again."

But I'm curious if you think this is also a bonehead move on Ford's part.

I'm making a thread of this so hopefully I remember not to do it a third time, and maybe 🙏🏻 You'll never do it.

First Time:
About 6 weeks ago I was getting close to my usual parking spot. I was in EV mode, I knew the battery was low, and the engine was about to come on. I didn't want the engine to spin up for all of 5 or 10 seconds. I wanted to "coast" via momentum into my parking space.

I turned the key off while rolling less than 10 mph, while still in Drive, foot hovering on the brake pedal and/or braking gently.
At 3 MPH WHAM! Truck goes into park locking up the wheels 3 mph to zero.

Second Time:
Tonight, at under 10 MPH I put it in "Neutral" and coasted, then turned the key off because I was testing new equipment. I had a long way to coast, in a wide open area, so did not use any brake pedal at all. Slowed by nature to 3 MPH and WHAM! Truck goes into park while in motion, locks up the wheels again.

Bonehead move on my part.
I won't be doing THAT again. But also bonehead "programming" by Ford?

P.S.

The reason(s) for turning the key off are unimportant here. Software freeze could be a reason.

I'm asking why. Why shift to park at 3 mph?
Seems very deliberate.
Why not 1 mph? Why not 0.5 mph?

We know it works at 0 mph, if you turn the key off at 0 mph. Why not always 0 mph is my question.

P.P.S.
Two different separate scenarios.
Once in Drive.
Once in Neutral.
And you're welcome.
I tested the vehicle so you won't have to.

Millions of people over the course of 125 years have pushed, pulled, or coasted a vehicle in neutral. Some have even towed them!

Now due to the nanny state, we have to relearn what used to be natural. Special "tricks" to get neutral tow modes and such.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First off I admit this is kind of a bonehead move. Not only did I do it once, I did it twice. I forgot about the first time and "Ops, I did it again."

But I'm curious if you think this is also a bonehead move on Ford's part.

I'm making a thread of this so hopefully I remember not to do it a third time, and maybe 🙏🏻 You'll never do it.

First Time:
About 6 weeks ago I was getting close to my usual parking spot. I was in EV mode, I knew the battery was low, and the engine was about to come on. I didn't want the engine to spin up for all of 5 or 10 seconds. I wanted to "coast" via momentum into my parking space.

I turned the key off while rolling less than 10 mph, while still in Drive, foot hovering on the brake pedal and/or braking gently.
At 3 MPH WHAM! Truck goes into park locking up the wheels 3 mph to zero.

Second Time:
Tonight, at under 10 MPH I put it in "Neutral" and coasted, then turned the key off because I was testing new equipment. I had a long way to coast, in a wide open area, so did not use any brake pedal at all. Slowed by nature to 3 MPH and WHAM! Truck goes into park while in motion, locks up the wheels again.

Bonehead move on my part.
I won't be doing THAT again. But also bonehead "programming" by Ford?
Why would it be a big deal to let the ICE come on for 5 to 10 seconds?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Methinks if your Maverick loses power or voltage gets low while flat towing behind your motorhome the wheels are going to lock up. Hence the rule "Run your engine 10 minutes every 6 hours when neutral towing".

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3mph is walking speed, doubt if any damage was done

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There have been a couple times I turned the key off without switching to park and really appreciated the feature, it helps with the learning curve of the rotary shifter. Only difference is I was already at a complete stop.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Prob no damage to the Mav. There were not any grinding sounds. The new F-150 pure gasser is worse. Open your driver's door without seatbelt fastened and it went to park at 6 mph and there WAS grinding sounds. How's a tabacca chewin Texan gonna spit?

I don't plan to make a habit of this, but looks like you can't put it in drive; jump out, and let the truck go over a cliff. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Prob no damage to the Mav. There were not any grinding sounds. The new F-150 pure gasser is worse. Open your driver's door without seatbelt fastened and it went to park at 6 mph and there WAS grinding sounds. How's a tabacca chewin Texan gonna spit?

I don't plan to make a habit of this, but looks like you can't put it in drive; jump out, and let the truck go over a cliff. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why in the world would someone remove their seat belt and open the door of a moving vehicle?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Why in the world would someone remove their seat belt and open the door of a moving vehicle?
There's a few legit reasons.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
There have been a couple times I turned the key off without switching to park and really appreciated the feature, it helps with the learning curve of the rotary shifter. Only difference is I was already at a complete stop.
It's probably due to the shifting style being "different" in conjunction with the "auto hold" feature coupled with the quiet nature of hybrids. The auto park is NICE when at zero mph.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a few legit reasons.
When I'm up at the ranch driving my old 2002 Explorer on the dirt roads and having to stop to open gates I don't wear my seat belt.

I don't open the door before stopping to get out because there's no reason to do that.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I often roll for 4 minutes of my 7 minute commute home with the engine off in my old work truck. Just no need to idle down that hill and I can coast through my gate and into my shop without turning on the motor. its pretty nice. Now that cars have electric brakes and electric power steering it would be even easier. Almost every safety feature on these new vehicles that pertains to the operation of the vehicle itself(im not talking air bags, crumple zones,and belts) is to help people keep from doing things that would fail them on any drivers license test.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ya, the reason(s) for turning the key off unimportant here. Software freeze could be a reason.

Seems very deliberate.

We know it works at 0 mph, if you turn the key off at 0 mph. Why not always 0 mph is my question.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya, the reason(s) for turning the key off unimportant here. Software freeze could be a reason.

Seems very deliberate.

Probably because most people will not operate their vehicle in such a strange way.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I say why does it think I want park, why does it think anything about me at all, my intentions are a calculated enigma. I prefer the matrix to not mess with me.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Probably because most people will not operate their vehicle in such a strange way.
I don't know how old you are.
It was taught in Driver's Ed classes way back, to turn the key off if you are having a fire, loss of brakes, steering, or other major malfunction, for example.
Sponsored