Sponsored

Could subwoofer under the seat damage battery?

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This will be my first hybrid. Anyone thinking of putting a subwoofer under the rear seat. Could the vibration from a subwoofer could damage to the hybrid battery.
Sponsored

The Speaker Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51 Lariat Lux CP360 SIBL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t think so. Road vibration is much higher g force. In fact, ideally the sub vibrates very little. It is just trying to move air back and forth. The weight of the cone is relatively small compared to the enclosure.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I "THINK" they put in under the rear seat with the Lariat Luxury Pkg. So I would guess under the rear seat would be a great idea.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, it is behind the seat.

Depends on what the B&O sounds like. Hubby has already said we will put one in under the rear seat though. As soon as he saw that storage his lightbulb went on. 💡

Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Photos going around here have shown it behind the seat back.
I think you're correct. I was thinking under the seat when in fact it was behind where the put the inverter.

Edit: Added Photo of Woofer.

Ford Maverick Could subwoofer under the seat damage battery? 1627697379404

OP
OP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks everybody. I love going to audio competitions. I was hoping that buying a hybrid wouldn't stop me. Just have to figure out where to put my subs from my 2001 single cab ranger. Into my new Maverick LoL

Ford Maverick Could subwoofer under the seat damage battery? Screenshot_20210730-212406

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
If your woofers are big enough to cause your Maverick to start hovering, yes the battery is in jeopardy, but less than your eardrums.

The Batteries are well isolated, heat will ultimately be the death cause for them at least it was in my HCH2.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Do we know if those mounts are still there in the xl and XLT? Would be interesting if suppliers could put together a drop-in system.

Edit: find this image in another thread. I can't tell if the sub mounting holes are there, but it looks like the amp bracket is there?
Ford Maverick Could subwoofer under the seat damage battery? Maverick under bench seat storage bin compartment 2

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
It's kind of obvious that the subwoofer we see is too small to act as a subwoofer, without some sort of resonant cavity. In Escape, the subwoofer is ported into the fender. Many Escape owners know this because they had to tear the thing apart to eliminate a loud BUZZZZZ around 65Hz.

Any idea what the back of this looks like? In Escape, you can see the port mouth at the lower left when the driver is removed.
Ford Maverick Could subwoofer under the seat damage battery? Subwoofer driver removed

Edit: Added Photo of Woofer.

1627697379404.png

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
It's kind of obvious that the subwoofer we see is too small to act as a subwoofer, without some sort of resonant cavity. In Escape, the subwoofer is ported into the fender. Many Escape owners know this because they had to tear the thing apart to eliminate a loud BUZZZZZ around 65Hz.

Any idea what the back of this looks like? In Escape, you can see the port mouth at the lower left when the driver is removed.
Subwoofer driver removed.jpg
Maybe that "used to have been the case", but no longer ! They now make very strong, very capable 6 1/2" subs, that can take as much as 500 wts RMS ! And they play, loud, deep, and solid ! However, they need to be used in the correct enclosure, with the proper amount of airspace.... and NOT just some unsealed space surrounded by sheet metal.
I have a single 8" Sundown Audio subwoofer in a custom built (by me) enclosure in my Prius (also, of course, a hybrid) and everyone that hears it, even myself, are blown away that a little 8" sub can sound like it does !

Keep in mind that these "little" 6 1/2" and 8" subs still have very beefy motors. Mine weighs over 25 lbs. The motor is nearly as big in diameter as the cone. Not cheap either. My little 8" was almost $200.
Sponsored