First Name
Tulros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lux Lariat, AWD, 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
New 2.0 AWD. I noticed that it's really quiet across all RPMs but one.
From about 1,200-1,400 RPM I hear what sounds like an odd vibration noise. I attached a short clip to hear it (3 second mark when I push the pedal)

It's only under acceleration, and goes away under and above those RPMs.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr.T

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Video really can't tell. But is it just in low gear at those rpms? All gears at those rpms?

There was also a tread about fuel lines rubbing on acceleration. Might be something to track.

OP
OP
Tulros

Tulros

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tulros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lux Lariat, AWD, 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I took it into the dealership. Apparently they heard the noise but did not identify the cause.

Fordguyw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New 2.0 AWD. I noticed that it's really quiet across all RPMs but one.
From about 1,200-1,400 RPM I hear what sounds like an odd vibration noise. I attached a short clip to hear it (3 second mark when I push the pedal)

It's only under acceleration, and goes away under and above those RPMs.

Mine does the exact same thing and is most obvious around 35 mph. It actually happens at any speed where the engine is below 1500 rpm and the throttle is applied (lightly enough that it doesn't downshift or unlock the torque converter). The vibration and noise, caused by the lugging, is just much more noticeable at low speeds because there is less road & wind noise/vibration.

I'm a mechanic with over 30 years of experience and it's obvious to me the problem is in the PCM/TCM programming. The programming is keeping the transmission in too high of a gear and keeping the torque converter locked, which is causing the vehicle to lug (like a manual trans in 4th gear when it should be in 2nd). This lug is causing engine/transmission/driveline vibration until it reaches that 1400-1500 RPM point. I'd guess this programming was done in an attempt to keep RPMs as low as possible for gas mileage, but it definitely causes unwanted (and possibly damaging) NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). Plus, the only thing that prevents the lug is pressing the throttle hard enough (probably about 25%) to cause the transmission to downshift which will definitely use more fuel. Ford needs to change the programming (put out a TSB with a reflash) to, at a minimum, unlock the converter on throttle tip-in below 1500 RPM (and probably have the trans drop a gear as well). I hope more people pay attention to this issue and report it to their dealer. We also need to tell the dealer to report it to Ford corporate, so they realize there's an issue (which I have already done, but it will take far more than one person).

Last edited:

Sponsored

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Luxury, 4K tow, 360)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine does the exact same thing and is most obvious around 35 mph. It actually happens at any speed where the engine is below 1500 rpm and the throttle is applied (lightly enough that it doesn't downshift or unlock the torque converter). The vibration and noise, caused by the lugging, is just much more noticeable at low speeds because there is less road & wind noise/vibration.

I'm a mechanic with over 30 years of experience and it's obvious to me the problem is in the PCM/TCM programming. The programming is keeping the transmission in too high of a gear and keeping the torque converter locked, which is causing the vehicle to lug (like a manual trans in 4th gear when it should be in 2nd). This lug is causing engine/transmission/driveline vibration until it reaches that 1400-1500 RPM point. I'd guess this programming was done in an attempt to keep RPMs as low as possible for gas mileage, but it definitely causes unwanted (and possibly damaging) NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). Plus, the only thing that prevents the lug is pressing the throttle hard enough (probably about 25%) to cause the transmission to downshift which will definitely use more fuel. Ford needs to change the programming (put out a TSB with a reflash) to, at a minimum, unlock the converter on throttle tip-in below 1500 RPM (and probably have the trans drop a gear as well). I hope more people pay attention to this issue and report it to their dealer. We also need to tell the dealer to report it to Ford corporate, so they realize there's an issue (which I have already done, but it will take far more than one person).
I’m glad I found this thread and your post!! As well as everyone who has contributed. This is exactly the issue and concern on my end too! I actually have been using eco as it seems a tad better than normal… mine acts horrible in 15-30mph… and I too believe my low pressure fuel lines need to be tightened or adjusted at retaining clips like previously mentioned and linked… I call it the “scud” sound… it’s a metallic, scudding, growling sound…

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Following! My Maverick does this as well.

Fordguyw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m glad I found this thread and your post!! As well as everyone who has contributed. This is exactly the issue and concern on my end too! I actually have been using eco as it seems a tad better than normal… mine acts horrible in 15-30mph… and I too believe my low pressure fuel lines need to be tightened or adjusted at retaining clips like previously mentioned and linked… I call it the “scud” sound… it’s a metallic, scudding, growling sound…
If eco mode seems to help, you likely have the lugging issue (because that mode changes multiple things in the PCM programming, compared to normal mode). My Maverick is a FX4, which doesn't have eco mode but the problem is pretty much non-existent in tow/haul mode because the programming keeps the transmission in lower gears. This prevents the engine from being in that lugging rpm (1500 and below). I have reported this issue to my dealership's Service Manager and he has reported it to Ford's engineering department. Anyone with the vibration caused by lugging should report it to their dealership as well (and make sure they report it to engineering). The more reports Ford gets, the better. Sooner or later they should put out a TSB with a PCM reflash to resolve this. I will continue to follow up with my dealer and will post the TSB info when/if they put it out.

As far as the fuel line vibration, I checked my lines and they are fine. I definitely recommend you check yours, or take it to your dealer. You could have both issues and the last thing you want is a fuel line vibrating on something metal and causing a fuel leak.

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If eco mode seems to help, you likely have the lugging issue (because that mode changes multiple things in the PCM programming, compared to normal mode). My Maverick is a FX4, which doesn't have eco mode but the problem is pretty much non-existent in tow/haul mode because the programming keeps the transmission in lower gears. This prevents the engine from being in that lugging rpm (1500 and below). I have reported this issue to my dealership's Service Manager and he has reported it to Ford's engineering department. Anyone with the vibration caused by lugging should report it to their dealership as well (and make sure they report it to engineering). The more reports Ford gets, the better. Sooner or later they should put out a TSB with a PCM reflash to resolve this. I will continue to follow up with my dealer and will post the TSB info when/if they put it out.

As far as the fuel line vibration, I checked my lines and they are fine. I definitely recommend you check yours, or take it to your dealer. You could have both issues and the last thing you want is a fuel line vibrating on something metal and causing a fuel leak.
Awesome quick response! Thanks fordguy… I have the 4ktow 2.0 eco awd without the fx4 like you already knew that duh lol… but should I try tow haul then to help improve it even more? Is that what you are saying you use for now? I do have horrible lugging or “bogging” vibration at this speeds/rpm’s. It’s annoying lol… I too will inform dealer and report it on complaints online NHTSA. I have owned a few vehicles that got a pcm update for better shift points improvement.

I’m fairly handy with cars… but there is a limit lol.. can you maybe take photos or give me a rough idea of where the low pressure fuel line(s) are and how recognizable they would be? Just to see if they are rubbing or loose and maybe I can tighten. If not it’s getting scheduled for the windshield/dash clicking and popping anyways.
Again, thanks for the awesome info and help!

Fordguyw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome quick response! Thanks fordguy… I have the 4ktow 2.0 eco awd without the fx4 like you already knew that duh lol… but should I try tow haul then to help improve it even more? Is that what you are saying you use for now? I do have horrible lugging or “bogging” vibration at this speeds/rpm’s. It’s annoying lol… I too will inform dealer and report it on complaints online NHTSA. I have owned a few vehicles that got a pcm update for better shift points improvement.

I’m fairly handy with cars… but there is a limit lol.. can you maybe take photos or give me a rough idea of where the low pressure fuel line(s) are and how recognizable they would be? Just to see if they are rubbing or loose and maybe I can tighten. If not it’s getting scheduled for the windshield/dash clicking and popping anyways.
Again, thanks for the awesome info and help!
I am using tow/haul for now but I don't have to drive many miles per week (gas mileage will be worse in tow/haul). You should try it on yours and see how much it helps. Your results will be a bit different (your rpm will be higher in each gear) because you have 4k tow (I don't). Vehicles with 4k have 3.81:1 differential gears and non-4k have 3.63:1. Please post how tow/haul works for you.

I will take some pics of the low pressure line and fuel vapor line (in the engine bay) and post them tomorrow evening. They run side by side and are easy to see in the engine bay but you would have to get under the vehicle to check them from the gas tank to the engine bay. The only place I noticed they could easily come loose is a mounting bracket in the engine bay (which I'll post a pic of).

Last edited:
Sponsored

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am using tow/haul for now but I don't have to drive many miles per week (gas mileage will be worse in tow/haul). You should try it on yours and see how much it helps. Your results will be a bit different (your rpm will be higher in each gear) because you have 4k tow (I don't). Vehicles with 4k have 3.81:1 differential gears and non-4k have 3.63:1. Please post how tow/haul works for you.

I will take some pics of the low pressure feed and return lines (in the engine bay) and post them tomorrow evening. They run side by side and are easy to see in the engine bay but you would have to get under the vehicle to check them from the gas tank to the engine bay. The only place I noticed they could easily come loose is a mounting bracket in the engine bay (which I'll post a pic of).
Yes sir! You rock!! Thanks! I will try it out tomorrow and post back… I drive almost an hour to work highway 70-80mph… usually any mode is ok then, it’s once you get below 55mph city/stop n go/ etc. as mentioned.
I’m looking forward to your pics of the fuel line spots to check. I can’t run the Maverick in sport mode!! I did when I first got it and I panicked thinking the damn engine didn’t have any oil in it lol! Sounded like metal clanging!! (Heat shield vibration) one of the guys in the forum posted video and that’s how I knew about low pressure fuel lines… sport mode sounds horrible and drives horrible unless you are driving all highway and expressway… truck jerks and lunges, and growls, and the metallic sounds are horrible!!

Fordguyw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As far as I know, the glowing cat has only been an issue on hybrids, not the ecoboost (the low rpm lugging/vibration issue is only on the ecoboost because it has a conventional 8-speed automatic transmission). I have read some of the posts about the issue and it sounds like Ford has the ICE (internal combustion engine) on the hybrid programmed to run wayyy too rich on startup in cold temperatures in an attempt to warm the engine quickly. That is an issue that also needs to be reported to Ford dealers (and the dealer needs to report to Ford Engineering). I highly recommend starting the vehicle and driving immediately which will help the engine to warm up and, at the same time, keep the catalytic converter cooler (because you're moving). It's actually bad for any engine to warm it up (sitting still idling), just don't run it hard until up to operating temp. Manufacturers put remote start on their vehicles, but then they tell you in the owner's manuals not to let the vehicle idle for more than a few minutes before driving.

Last edited:

Fordguyw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes sir! You rock!! Thanks! I will try it out tomorrow and post back… I drive almost an hour to work highway 70-80mph… usually any mode is ok then, it’s once you get below 55mph city/stop n go/ etc. as mentioned.
I’m looking forward to your pics of the fuel line spots to check. I can’t run the Maverick in sport mode!! I did when I first got it and I panicked thinking the damn engine didn’t have any oil in it lol! Sounded like metal clanging!! (Heat shield vibration) one of the guys in the forum posted video and that’s how I knew about low pressure fuel lines… sport mode sounds horrible and drives horrible unless you are driving all highway and expressway… truck jerks and lunges, and growls, and the metallic sounds are horrible!!
That sounds like a major programming issue! I don't have sport mode because the FX4 has normal, tow/haul, & 3 off-road modes, but it definitely shouldn't do any of what you're describing. I have a F-150 with the 5.0 coyote engine and use sport mode frequently. It improves throttle response, holds shift points, and improves shift firmness (all of which should be what sport does on the Maverick as well). I'd definitely have that checked at your dealer.

Last edited:

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That sounds like a major programming issue! I don't have sport mode because the FX4 has normal, tow/haul, & 3 off-road modes, but it definitely shouldn't do any of what you're describing. I have a F-150 with the 5.0 coyote engine and use sport mode frequently. It improves throttle response, holds shift points, and improves shift firmness (all of which should be what sport does on the Maverick as well). I'd definitely have that checked at your dealer.
Fordguy- agreed! My folks have Ford Explorer and Ford Fusion and my sister n law has Ford Focus. I always drove theirs in sport. The day I got the truck I drove it in sport from the dealer lot… but once I got off the Highway… the breaking, the growling, metallic sounds, it reminded me of back in the day… when I was learning to drive stick shift!! Lol…
Sponsored