First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Using Android Auto I have the VLC app installed to play music stored on my phone. The only issue is that I first have to unlock the phone before I can play music using Android Auto in the infotainment screen. I looked through the VLC settings and didn't see anything that seemed related to this issue.

Is it possible to play music using VLC in Android Auto without first having to unlock the phone?
Sponsored

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I use Spotify so can't speak for VLC, but I had the same issue when I used a wired AA connection.
I bought a Motorola MA1 adapter for wireless AA and now the music starts playing as soon as the phone connects, even if it's in my pocket.

Deleted member 14823

I don't know if this helps, but I have an iPhone and in order to access my CarPlay screen I have to unlock the phone first. It might not be a VLC thing but an Android Auto thing. I could be wrong though, since I don't have Android it's just a guess on my part.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use Spotify so can't speak for VLC, but I had the same issue when I used a wired AA connection.
I bought a Motorola MA1 adapter for wireless AA and now the music starts playing as soon as the phone connects, even if it's in my pocket.
I have the Motorola MA1 adapter and the music starts playing right away. BUT, when I touch the VLC icon to browse music it just spins and spins until I unlock the phone.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know if this helps, but I have an iPhone and in order to access my CarPlay screen I have to unlock the phone first. It might not be a VLC thing but an Android Auto thing. I could be wrong though, since I don't have Android it's just a guess on my part.
Thanks, I joined a VLC forum and posted the question there. I suspect I'm stuck with unlocking the phone, unless I configure the phone to NOT lock, which I don't want to do.

Sponsored

Alkaiser702

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, I joined a VLC forum and posted the question there. I suspect I'm stuck with unlocking the phone, unless I configure the phone to NOT lock, which I don't want to do.
It may not be preferable, but Spotify and I'm sure some other apps have the ability to play local audio files without the need for manual unlocking.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may not be preferable, but Spotify and I'm sure some other apps have the ability to play local audio files without the need for manual unlocking.
Thanks, I was not aware you could play local files with Spotify, I thought it was strictly subscription based.

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s cause you didn’t enable this option under CarPlay settings.

Ford Maverick Unable to play music until I unlock phone E427BE73-5C38-4DF2-A227-D06A275539EE

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Android allows you to set "Trusted Places" for lock screen security. In your settings search for that and you can add your vehicle if it is Bluetooth connected (wired AA uses BT). When your phone detects the vehicle it will prevent your phone from locking fully.

I had your same issue until I did this and aside from when AA just refuses to connect despite the cable being attached, have had no further issues with connecting to AA to play music, regardless of which app I'm actually using. Once you shut off the vehicle the phone will lock as its assigned Trusted Place is no longer available.

Sponsored

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Using Android Auto I have the VLC app installed to play music stored on my phone. The only issue is that I first have to unlock the phone before I can play music using Android Auto in the infotainment screen. I looked through the VLC settings and didn't see anything that seemed related to this issue.

Is it possible to play music using VLC in Android Auto without first having to unlock the phone?
Depending on your android version you will have the ability to keep the phone unlocked while on your person or in a trusted place, which can be your auto, or connected to a device. Look for Smart Lock under the Security settings.

Ford Maverick Unable to play music until I unlock phone 1667331284349

That said, I don't have my Maverick to confirm this but you might try it.

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Android allows you to set "Trusted Places" for lock screen security. In your settings search for that and you can add your vehicle if it is Bluetooth connected (wired AA uses BT). When your phone detects the vehicle it will prevent your phone from locking fully.

I had your same issue until I did this and aside from when AA just refuses to connect despite the cable being attached, have had no further issues with connecting to AA to play music, regardless of which app I'm actually using. Once you shut off the vehicle the phone will lock as its assigned Trusted Place is no longer available.
Dang if you didn't beat me to it! And you were able to confirm it.

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dang if you didn't beat me to it! And you were able to confirm it.
Yep, works well enough! Trusted Places of course will cause its own problems from time to time (looking at you sporadic on-body detection) but it seems the 'hard' connect of BT through the truck has not had issues - been running it like this for about two months now. Phone auto-unlocks on truck start and auto-locks on shutdown. Neat.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These options appear to be set by the Android Auto app on the phone. For example there is a "Start Android Auto while locked". And Android Auto does start and work without having to unlock the screen. VLC even plays the last song that was playing. But then when you try to browse to another song it just hangs and spins until I unlock the phone.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I've already added my car, and also my Motorola M1A dongle as a trusted device. You still have to unlock the phone initially for some functionality, then it remains unlocked for 4 hours. Even before I added my car and the M1A as a trusted device, AA would start soon after I started my car, and I could do most things. Maybe the issue is with the VLC app. I joined their forum and posted this question.

-Thanks
Sponsored