Sponsored

Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures!

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://realtruck.com/p/truxedo-sentry-ct-tonneau-cover/v/ford/maverick/2022/

Starting this thread and will update with pictures as we do the install. Have been considering different Tonneau covers for a while and finally decided the Sentry TC by Truxedo was the best for our purposes - thanks to Real Truck for a good price. Updating with Pictures of the installed Tonneau. Quick comments - easy install, get someone to help. Very well engineered and sealed from the weather, love the canvas - basically convertible top material. It clears the bed extender and the rails rub ever so slightly on the side of bed extender (1/64”?) so some slight adjustment of extender size will fix this. Overall really nice - and they are offering a $100 mfg rebate through 6/19/2022.

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! 36105E39-D062-47A5-937D-BF16042DED2B

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! 8E693E32-CA85-4CFF-8EA5-761390A9B148

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! 77929636-7FD8-448B-B911-BE99B49B7939

Great weather seal - be sure to install the foam with glue backing so the “L” lip is facing up.

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! B97F1A86-8B2F-4E63-BD7D-EC886744CFA4

There is crush foam at end of rails - when installing push so that it is slightly compressed (they say to roughly 3/8”- but the Maverick lip is curved so 3/8 on bottom and a bit thicker but tensioned on top).

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! 6CFB640C-7F6E-47A2-959C-08CA170CA4CB

You can use the in-bed rail system slider just watch your knuckles

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! F8AF24B0-8670-4D06-B8D8-6AE6B038064E

Excellent seal on the gate - BUT you will need to close the gate before latching the Tonneau down

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! 284E901B-B245-4BCD-9FB5-687549A8DBC6

Plenty of height for the bed extender with no contact to top. Very nice systems

Below is a quick of discussion of why chose the Truxedo Sentry CT…

What did I consider? We definitely wanted a hard ”lockable” cover so looked at the Hard Rollups and the Tri-Folds. We did not want something that took up space in the bed like the Santa Cruz’s cover - not to mention expense. We wanted to keep under $1K. For Tri-Folds we looked at the Undercover Armor Flex and BAK trifolds. All pretty similar. For Roll-ups we landed on the BAK Revolver X4S or Truxedo Sentry / Sentry CT.

Why we disqualified the other covers? Well first, the Tri-Folds offered a very nice, clean set of options. But..when fully open they cover the window and brake light, look awkward. Partial opening is good option but…well it is a small bed on the Maverick. For us, we decided a hard rollup would give us what we wanted. So down to the BAK vs. the Truxedo. The BAK seems to be more prevalent / commonly chosen - either through Ford (earlier version) or from dealers. But I read review after review that said while good at keeping out water…the did leak mainly at front and at rear gate. Fitment seemed to be an issue with it being a bit short at the gate for some (no direct experience - just what I read/saw on YouTube). RealTruck even has videos out on various fixes. Also - The vinyl seemed to bubble/not hold up in the heat (South Florida Sun) with some bubbling and tearing happened. Plastic end caps came off - again what the reviews said. Finally - the BAK has an odd latching system at the gate where two latches protrude 4” into the bed - meaning a bed extender cannot be flipped up (they hit) so has to be uninstalled then installed under the latches in reverse. We discarded the Sentry Vinyl version because like the BAK, the vinyl did not seem “tough enough” and over time separated or tore at the edges.

Why did we choose the Sentry CT? 5 year warranty, twill/canvas “like” heavy cloth for cover, no protruding latch, and all the reviews talked about the excellent water/weather protection. Looking at the design - I see why and engineer in me likes the design of this one better than the BAK. Downside is that you cannot latch down until tailgate is closed. Prices for everything we were looking at were somewhat similar, and Sentry CT checked the boxes we wanted. I’d also add that the Velcro is replaceable over time (we asked) as needed and we like the rollup straps system to secure it. Overall it really seemed to come in as a step above - without the current “teething” pains the BAK X4S seems to have with the Maverick. I’d also add that the longevity / looks seem to be great as long as you treat the fabric with 303 Protectant or similar.

In no way trying to run down any of the products we didn’t choose here - just laying out what we found and why chose the one we did. RealTruck is shipping today so maybe have it for install by next weekend. Will update this thread with pics once we get going on the install.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That was very thorough. Thank you.

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Received the Tonneau cover today and installed in about 20 minutes with my son’s help. Fast shipping from Real Truck - ordered Friday and arrived at the house around noon today. 75 lbs total for all parts and packaged quite well. Overall a very happy owner and wife loves it - updated the original post with pictures after installed - really not much to the install.

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Downside is that you cannot latch down until tailgate is closed.
Very nice write-up. Now that you have it installed can you confirm that the above is true - it can't be latched until the tailgate is closed?

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very nice write-up. Now that you have it installed can you confirm that the above is true - it can't be latched until the tailgate is closed?

Yup. Nothing bad happens - you simply compress the rubber flap that should be on top. But to get it sealed from the weather - close the gate, then latch down the last bit. Not a big deal for us - the trade-off in convenience to get a nice ”close” to weather-tight seal is a fair trade for us.

Sponsored

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this the one that has the quick release when you roll it up in case you want remove the cover to get the extra bed room for something?

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is this the one that has the quick release when you roll it up in case you want remove the cover to get the extra bed room for something?
Yes - super easy. Front of rail has two small holes that the cover rollup bundle fits in, then you have a heavy duty slider you push to secure to the rail. to take off you rollup, unlock the slider by pulling it toward center on both sides then lift off. Probably a 2 minute exercise to remove.

Leviheim

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Yup. Nothing bad happens - you simply compress the rubber flap that should be on top. But to get it sealed from the weather - close the gate, then latch down the last bit. Not a big deal for us - the trade-off in convenience to get a nice ”close” to weather-tight seal is a fair trade for us.
I have the same cover and overall I really like it as well but I feel that the way the “weather strip” falls on top of the tailgate when you close it is asking for a leak ? When it rains it seems water will hit the top of tailgate and go right under that seal that just lays on top… hopefully I’m wrong I will see when it rains

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the same cover and overall I really like it as well but I feel that the way the “weather strip” falls on top of the tailgate when you close it is asking for a leak ? When it rains it seems water will hit the top of tailgate and go right under that seal that just lays on top… hopefully I’m wrong I will see when it rains
we are due for a tropical storm this weekend in Florida so will let you know. I think the seal is pretty good as long as rubber remains pliable (treat with 303). I will so almost every review I read and viewed said it was actually very weather tight - but like you want to see it for myself. They did put a foam compression seal at end of rail that gets press tight by the tailgate when closed, then covered by the weather seal on tailgate when you latch it down so impressed they seemed to have thought this through. Look at the BAK X4S gaps for comparison…

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great! Almost bought this one, ended up with the Gator FX3. So far so good, I liked the $685 price.

I will add it doesn't block the break light when folded forward, though if your bed is full people behind may not see it regardless.

Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! PXL_20220405_220403690

Sponsored

PaidEMS

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Saab 9-3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very nice!! Thanks for the detailed review. I did not even know this was an option. How is the security? Can the side just be pulled or does the Velcro hold tight? Just making the thieves work for my stuff.

Edit: Just saw a video. Not able to just pull from the side. Security gets A.

Last edited:

ladyhawkgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

we are due for a tropical storm this weekend in Florida so will let you know. I think the seal is pretty good as long as rubber remains pliable (treat with 303). I will so almost every review I read and viewed said it was actually very weather tight - but like you want to see it for myself. They did put a foam compression seal at end of rail that gets press tight by the tailgate when closed, then covered by the weather seal on tailgate when you latch it down so impressed they seemed to have thought this through. Look at the BAK X4S gaps for comparison…
how did the storm go?

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got mine installed today. Haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on much but I'm happy with the look and fit. Also happy with the deal from @Realtruck.
Ford Maverick Truxedo Sentry CT Hard Rollup Tonneau - Now with Pictures! PXL_20220707_191204331~2

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how did the storm go?
Perfect. This thing is pretty water resistant. Had small amount of water in one ”valley” of the bed, maybe a couple of tablespoons. Looked like a small drip up at front - put in some more weather strip and have not seen since. Can’t say enough good things about this top.

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very nice!! Thanks for the detailed review. I did not even know this was an option. How is the security? Can the side just be pulled or does the Velcro hold tight? Just making the thieves work for my stuff.

Edit: Just saw a video. Not able to just pull from the side. Security gets A.
Pretty secure, you need a pry bar to get in and work it - basically destroy it to get in. Maybe a coat hanger to grab the pull and pull it might work. About as good as it gets for anything but the diamond hard tonneau.
Sponsored