First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
kind of looks like a wet clutch set up to me. notice the multiple plates, looks a lot like a wet motorcycle clutch.

rdu2.jpg
I apologize - I stand corrected, but heat continues to be an issue even in the cold.

The standard AWD Mav uses a single dry clutch.

The Advanced AWD on the Tremor uses a liquid cooled PTU clutch:

" The Badlands (and the low-volume First Edition) adds liquid cooling to the PTU and a second clutch to the RDU, providing a “differential lock” feature, as Ford calls it. This is different from a real mechanical locker, but the point is that the rear drive unit can keep powering both wheels even when one has little grip. The schematic below shows the basics of the Badlands’ off-road system"
In their testing, they show that the standard Mav will overheat when calling AWD too frequently and disable:

While on the trail ride in a group, the driver of an Outer Banks model attempted to ascend a hill. After just a couple of failed attempts to climb the rather modest incline, she said over the radio that her vehicle indicated Four-Wheel Drive Temporarily Disabled.

The Ford rep pointed out that the Outer Banks model does not have the Badlands’ liquid-cooled Power Transfer Unit (a Ford engineer told me that this is cooled via coolant in the engine’s cooling loop), but CNET’s review indicates thermal concerns with even the Badlands model. From CNET:

Unfortunately, after 15 minutes of hooning around in the sand, my Bronco Sport overheats and goes into limp-home mode. I might expect this if ambient temperatures were very high, but it’s a perfect 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Thankfully, the Bronco cools back down quickly so I can keep on playing — albeit a bit less aggressively.
Driving on loose terrain is extremely taxing on vehicle thermal systems. The slippage leads to a lot of fluid churning. When there are clutches involved, those can get hot, and their function can degrade, causing slip. There’s also quite a bit of engine load and engine speed, which means the potential for a lot of heat rejection in a sandy dune environment. Since the tires are slipping, these conditions tend to correspond to low vehicle speeds, which also means there’s low incoming air velocity and reduced cooling capability.

Still, overheating after just a couple of attempts on a freezing cold Michigan day? Overheating after just 15 minutes of sand driving with 82 degree ambient temperatures? I’m not going to harp on about this since I didn’t experience a failure in my vehicle, but as a former off-road cooling system engineer, I’ll just say: That would be pretty wack if it turned out to be a common issue.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-bronco-sport-has-everything-it-needs-to-c-1845821988
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I apologize - I stand corrected, but heat continues to be an issue even in the cold.

The standard AWD Mav uses a single dry clutch.

The Advanced AWD on the Tremor uses a liquid cooled PTU clutch:

In their testing, they show that the standard Mav will overheat when calling AWD too frequently and disable:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-bronco-sport-has-everything-it-needs-to-c-1845821988
I think the heat issues that circulate the web are actually the PTU, even with the cooling, and not the RDU. This is a common issue with the Subes and the like. This normally occurs on up hill climbs in the loose stuff or going hog wild in the sand. Since this RDU is the same unit as in the 350HP Focus intended for some track use it should be able to do off road without issue in the Mav.
https://mavericktruckin.com/tech/fords-dana-twin-clutch-axle-awd-system/

Don't have one so can't say but does the FX4 have a 4 wheel (front/rear) lock function?

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the heat issues that circulate the web are actually the PTU, even with the cooling, and not the RDU. This is a common issue with the Subes and the like. This normally occurs on up hill climbs in the loose stuff or going hog wild in the sand. Since this RDU is the same unit as in the 350HP Focus intended for some track use it should be able to do off road without issue in the Mav.
https://mavericktruckin.com/tech/fords-dana-twin-clutch-axle-awd-system/

Don't have one so can't say but does the FX4 have a 4 wheel (front/rear) lock function?
Yeah - sorry was specifically meaning the PTU for overheating issues. The RDU should never really be used to an extent where it would overheat.

I'm not dogging the system - just what I had seen previously on the Baby Bronco.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah - sorry was specifically meaning the PTU for overheating issues. The RDU should never really be used to an extent where it would overheat.

I'm not dogging the system - just what I had seen previously on the Baby Bronco.
Trust me there is no reason to apologize or be sorry I love the tech talk. :D
I followed all the Sport tech and reviews early on and ended up ordering a Badlands. As fate would have it son and his wife wrecked their primary and I let them take it. I have been able to experience it's off road chops and can find no fault in what it is. Every time I thought we were done it kept digging. Based on the BS I knew I would be pleased with the Tremor, big butt departure angle and all.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If there's one thing (ok, there's a few) I definitely can't fault on the Maverick, it's the stock/non-Tremor AWD system. I have never had it overheat, even in the dead of summer doing challenging hill climbs in the Cascades. I've never gotten an overheating warning and I can guarantee you that I've pushed it well past what most folks will do with theirs.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Trust me there is no reason to apologize or be sorry I love the tech talk. :D
I followed all the Sport tech and reviews early on and ended up ordering a Badlands. As fate would have it son and his wife wrecked their primary and I let them take it. I have been able to experience it's off road chops and can find no fault in what it is. Every time I thought we were done it kept digging. Based on the BS I knew I would be pleased with the Tremor, big butt departure angle and all.
That is really reassuring.

I have actually recently been looking at F-150 Tremors, Silverado Trail Bosses, and Titan Pro 4X.

Really struggling with paying $55k+ for <20MPG and in some cases much less options than what come in on the XLT Tremor w/lux under $35k.

My hang up is that my kids (8,6,4) will outgrow the Maverick's rear seat soon where as one of the above mentioned full size they would be good until they leave the house. Even with that consideration I just keep coming back to the Mav Tremor. It will still offer more usable space than my model 3. Measurement wise we're only talking 1" more rear hip room and less than an inch leg room (plus middle seat gets screwed) but the almost completely flat bottom bench seat will make the space MUCH more usable.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is really reassuring.

I have actually recently been looking at F-150 Tremors, Silverado Trail Bosses, and Titan Pro 4X.

Really struggling with paying $55k+ for <20MPG and in some cases much less options than what come in on the XLT Tremor w/lux under $35k.

My hang up is that my kids (8,6,4) will outgrow the Maverick's rear seat soon where as one of the above mentioned full size they would be good until they leave the house. Even with that consideration I just keep coming back to the Mav Tremor. It will still offer more usable space than my model 3. Measurement wise we're only talking 1" more rear hip room and less than an inch leg room (plus middle seat gets screwed) but the almost completely flat bottom bench seat will make the space MUCH more usable.
lol, if you have it in 8 years your oldest will be nagging you about driving it to school.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im hoping that is a error of some sort. They do that sometimes, especially with dates :ROFLMAO:. It seems funny that they wouldnt run the Badlands gears on a bigger tired package. Unless they needed it for MPGs.:( MPGs makes me sad. Anything out of the teens is plenty.

He had KO2s on it. As much as people think they are so badass, they aren't much different than the Wildpeaks.
I know I'm quoting an old message from last summer, but people are actually driving their Tremors on snow now, so I figured why not chime in. :D

I agree with this comparison. Wildpeak is slightly quieter, and drives about the same (which is VERY good for an all-terrain). KO2 is better in snow. Similar on ice, as in, both not great and both very dependent on full tread depth. Ice performance falls off dramatically after ~30K miles on either tire as the rubber gets aged and the sipes are mostly gone.

I have KO2s on a SUV right now and I've had Wildpeak AT3W in the past. There is a Wildpeak without the 3 peak mountain snow flake rating, it's not as good as you would expect. I don't understand why some people have had bad luck with the KO2. The SUV is fulltime 4WD and I never have to put it in 4H Locked. But I get it, if you drove a KO2 and hated it, fine.

I would not pull off the Tremor's Wildpeak AT3W unless going bigger. No point in replacing it with a different 235/65-17, even if you hate it I would take the opportunity to go with a 245/65-17.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know some in here are wondering about deep snow performance and I wouldn't think it will do amazing because of ground clearance and gearing but maybe in sand mode and hooning it out.

Speaking of - here's a Bronco Sport Badlands in a snowy field for fun:

Sponsored