Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

MAKE IT WITH "MAVERICK"!
Thats the plan!
Looks beautiful, sounds like your set up served ya well.
It was great. Easy pack up, slept well, stayed cool. I cant believe my wife was comfy enough to nap and read in the heat of the day inside. Just some tweeking to do and it will be real nice. Im thinking about gaining 4 to 6 inches in height. Maybe put some sort of flat feet on the stabilizers. It would make the hooded end of the tent that used to be for the annex a better are to get in from and also good for changing clothes.
Sponsored

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The real question is the tent Centipede proof?

Ill never forget getting a Centipede bite on Maui :LOL:

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The real question is the tent Centipede proof?

Ill never forget getting a Centipede bite on Maui :LOL:
Being off the ground it certainly isnt centipede prone! Those are not fun. Next time squeeze and rub a slice of green papaya on it. The sap helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Car camping is the best!
I would have prefered to get the GFC topper originally but even after putting a new skin on this tent and building the platform I am still about $2500 cheaper with my topper and tent. Plus this has the benefit of leaving my wife napping and going for a drive. Back in our van days that would have been fine but if she was sleeping in a pop up topper she may not enjoy the drive!

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Booyah
Well we made it. We are finally here at Kipahulu campgrounds in the National Park outside of Hana, Maui. It was a long(lol) arduous journey through closest tropical rainforest to my house! It took us 2 whole hours to get here. 42.3 miles and about 900 turns lol. The road to Hana is a very fun drive. While the waterfalls aren't great for swimming after all the rain we had, the we just gushing with aquatic beauty. Yesterday I worked a half day(404), then finished packing with my wife, and we made it out of the valley by 3:30 pm. A little late to start than road but we made it here with just enough time to get camp set up before dark. Hotdogs were cooking by sunset.

We are camping with family but got a site further away from the main group in case that wanted a fire(my wife has some lung damage). Turns out that the spot we got was amazing right up against a beautiful rock wall with a full view of the sunrise over the ocean from bed.

Speaking of our bed, you may have read about my hitch tent creation from another thread. It's a Tuff Stuff Ranger tent I bout in 2018. The tent had gotten waten by ants so I installed a new skin on it. I built a platform frame out of aluminum and added trailer stabilizers and gate wheels to it for leveling and mobility. It also has a recycled wood table I built and a 3 position mount for about 300 degrees of positioning. It also has a mount for a hitch umbrella. We brought 3 8ft high wind umbrellas ne with a hitch mount, another with a ground post, and a 3rd for a clamshell fit mounted 90 degrees on another umbrella. We also brought a small Coleman burner and grill combo I bought 8 years ago at Kmart and our fridge freezer with a solar panel and marine battery to keep it rocking. We actually had a freeze explosion issue earlier. Anyways the bed slept super comfy last night with one dog, Harvey in the bed with us and Batman keeping a watchful eye out in the back of the Tremor.

Speaking of the Tremor, it did beautifully on the drive over. I was definitely over weight by about 200lbs or so but that is within the standard truck payload. The rear was squatted significantly but handling and power was unchanged. Braking effort was a touch harder but better still than anything else I own. I finally ordered air bags for the rear springs Friday night so next trip will be a little more on the level. The truck is amazing. The topper was stuffed to the roof but with everything we packed it swallowed an amazing amount of cargo. There was a couple large items that won't be needed inside next time like the mattresses that were supposed to travel inside the tent and the annex for it we thought we could flip upside down on an umbrella if it was pouring. So still more room in that magic hat.

The campground is beautiful and cheap, even without parks pass it was only 48$ for 2 nights. The ocean is there and there is a short drive to a nice beach. The trailhead for a hour plus hike to a several hundred foot waterfall is here as well. Nice clean composting toilets. Water available at the visitor center, grills and tables at every site. No power though. But definitely a good way for someone with a sleepable vehicle of a borrowed tent to save $300 on a hotel and see more of the Hana side of Maui without the time crunch of getting back to the resort areas.

I will get back to kicking my feet up and listening to the waves crash and watching the whales breaching. I was going to load some photos but this single picture took about 15 minutes to upload. So until I get home to our remote valley cabin with satellite internet this is all you get.

Aloha and Mahalo everybody.
IMG_20240317_070107_496.jpg

The internets out here picked up a bit so I loaded these up for y'all.
Such a peaceful spot! Such a great truck.

After a big here we are gonna load up our umbrella on the truck hitch and and drive over to the rest of the family's area across the circle. Play some games and eat some food and have our selves a good time.
IMG_20240317_070021_873.jpg

IMG_20240317_132203_967.jpg
IMG_20240317_070007_300.jpg
Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

dogtruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well we made it. We are finally here at Kipahulu campgrounds in the National Park outside of Hana, Maui. It was a long(lol) arduous journey through closest tropical rainforest to my house! It took us 2 whole hours to get here. 42.3 miles and about 900 turns lol. The road to Hana is a very fun drive. While the waterfalls aren't great for swimming after all the rain we had, the we just gushing with aquatic beauty. Yesterday I worked a half day(404), then finished packing with my wife, and we made it out of the valley by 3:30 pm. A little late to start than road but we made it here with just enough time to get camp set up before dark. Hotdogs were cooking by sunset.

We are camping with family but got a site further away from the main group in case that wanted a fire(my wife has some lung damage). Turns out that the spot we got was amazing right up against a beautiful rock wall with a full view of the sunrise over the ocean from bed.

Speaking of our bed, you may have read about my hitch tent creation from another thread. It's a Tuff Stuff Ranger tent I bout in 2018. The tent had gotten waten by ants so I installed a new skin on it. I built a platform frame out of aluminum and added trailer stabilizers and gate wheels to it for leveling and mobility. It also has a recycled wood table I built and a 3 position mount for about 300 degrees of positioning. It also has a mount for a hitch umbrella. We brought 3 8ft high wind umbrellas ne with a hitch mount, another with a ground post, and a 3rd for a clamshell fit mounted 90 degrees on another umbrella. We also brought a small Coleman burner and grill combo I bought 8 years ago at Kmart and our fridge freezer with a solar panel and marine battery to keep it rocking. We actually had a freeze explosion issue earlier. Anyways the bed slept super comfy last night with one dog, Harvey in the bed with us and Batman keeping a watchful eye out in the back of the Tremor.

Speaking of the Tremor, it did beautifully on the drive over. I was definitely over weight by about 200lbs or so but that is within the standard truck payload. The rear was squatted significantly but handling and power was unchanged. Braking effort was a touch harder but better still than anything else I own. I finally ordered air bags for the rear springs Friday night so next trip will be a little more on the level. The truck is amazing. The topper was stuffed to the roof but with everything we packed it swallowed an amazing amount of cargo. There was a couple large items that won't be needed inside next time like the mattresses that were supposed to travel inside the tent and the annex for it we thought we could flip upside down on an umbrella if it was pouring. So still more room in that magic hat.

The campground is beautiful and cheap, even without parks pass it was only 48$ for 2 nights. The ocean is there and there is a short drive to a nice beach. The trailhead for a hour plus hike to a several hundred foot waterfall is here as well. Nice clean composting toilets. Water available at the visitor center, grills and tables at every site. No power though. But definitely a good way for someone with a sleepable vehicle of a borrowed tent to save $300 on a hotel and see more of the Hana side of Maui without the time crunch of getting back to the resort areas.

I will get back to kicking my feet up and listening to the waves crash and watching the whales breaching. I was going to load some photos but this single picture took about 15 minutes to upload. So until I get home to our remote valley cabin with satellite internet this is all you get.

After a big here we are gonna load up our umbrella on the truck hitch and and drive over to the rest of the family's area across the circle. Play some games and eat some food and have our selves a good time.

love the dog ramp

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided

Looks like it was a great trip! We love seeing what you all can do with your Mavericks!
Sponsored