MyXLTmav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Camaro Z3 Kia XLTmav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used the $210 rewards on the $369 TruXedo roll up cover from Ford. If you already used the money the cover is $309 on-line just about everywhere else. All the available covers reference a 4'4" bed. Well, the bed measure 4'5" so the cover needs to be at least 1" longer if you want the front and rear cover assembly gaskets to provide a seal. Positioning the cover assembly foam gasket (talking about the gasket on the rail and not the supplemental foam tacky roll) even half way on the cab end bulkhead results in a significant gap at the tailgate cover seal. Here is what I ended up doing.

1) Don't place the roll gasket on the cab end bulkhead flat surface. I did and had to remove it destroying it in the process.
2)Assemble the cab end side rails to the cover assembly as illustrated in the instructions and loosely clamp in place at the tailgate end. Had my wife at the tailgate end to ensure the rail didn't slide off and potentially scratch the side. Instructions reference use of clamps at the tailgate however I found it easier with her help.
3) I then pulled the side rails back toward the tailgate until the cover assembly underside rail gasket barely made contact with the bulkhead (bed side) edge. You can cheat it a bit more forward however you'll still see a slight gap since I didn't use the foam roll. Even then the tailgate seal barely makes contact.
4) I then loosely secured the remaining clamps (front and middle) to the side rails, rolled out the cover and latched at the tailgate end. With everything looking good I rolled up the cover and tightened the clamps.
5) Lastly, take the adhesive backed gasket roll and tack it to the bed flush to the cover rail gasket. That seals the above referenced gap.

Hope this is helpful. I'll try to add some pics.

Ford Maverick Tonneau Cover Install - DIY Instructions IMG_0542
Ford Maverick Tonneau Cover Install - DIY Instructions IMG_0544
Ford Maverick Tonneau Cover Install - DIY Instructions IMG_0543
Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for your write up. I had previously installed my tonneau cover and did not understand exactly where the rolled gasket is applied at the front of the cover. So, I didn't install it until I did more research. Is it attached to the top of the bed bulkhead or underneath the cover on the front edge of the bulkhead?

Sorry to be so dense, but I ran my truck through a car touchless/laser soap/rinse cycle and discovered a little water in the bed bottom near the front. I had not noticed any leaking previously. TIA!

OP
OP

MyXLTmav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Camaro Z3 Kia XLTmav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The roll gasket is intended to be placed on the bulkhead creating a seal between the bulkhead and the underside of the cover assembly. If you had placed it there and positioned the cover assembly gasket on it you would have a large gap at the tailgate. I pulled the assembled cover back (loose rail clamps) until the rear tailgate seal (rubber flap that hangs down/not much of a seal) made contact with the tailgate. The front cover assembly gasket will barely make contact with the bulkhead. I used the tacky roll gasket on the inside vertical surface of the bed pressed up against the cover header gasket. Tried to depict it in the pic provided. I found this to be the best compromise in fitting a cover that is 1" too short. There may be other roll cover brands that fit properly but everything I researched made reference to a 4'4" bed which actually measures 4"5". Hope this helps.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The roll gasket is intended to be placed on the bulkhead creating a seal between the bulkhead and the underside of the cover assembly. If you had placed it there and positioned the cover assembly gasket on it you would have a large gap at the tailgate. I pulled the assembled cover back (loose rail clamps) until the rear tailgate seal (rubber flap that hangs down/not much of a seal) made contact with the tailgate. The front cover assembly gasket will barely make contact with the bulkhead. I used the tacky roll gasket on the inside vertical surface of the bed pressed up against the cover header gasket. Tried to depict it in the pic provided. I found this to be the best compromise in fitting a cover that is 1" too short. There may be other roll cover brands that fit properly but everything I researched made reference to a 4'4" bed which actually measures 4"5". Hope this helps.
It's helps a lot. I found additional instructions on the Truxedo web site, but it showed the additional seal on top of the bed bulkhead, and I've read where others when placing it here says the tonneau does not cover the seal enough to help. It makes sence to place it on the vertical front edge of the bed bulkhead. I will loosen the clamps enough to be able to put the seal on that vertical edge, then retighten the clamps giving a little compression of the seal from the cover.

Again, thank you for your quick reply.

Big Bob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 Dodge M37, ‘14 VW JettaTDI, ‘22 Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the pointers! I probably would have done the same thing and put the rolled seal on first and been having to get another roll. So I will dry fit it and favor the tailgate side like you suggested.

Sponsored

RWEarth

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid
Curious after you have used it for some months, with the space near the cab, does the cover leak or is there water collection near cab?

OP
OP

MyXLTmav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Camaro Z3 Kia XLTmav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually the additional seal released from the vertical surface of the bed due to the texture of the spray in liner. I went back and tucked it in as best I could between the existing cover seal and the bulkhead. Just pressed it in with my fingers. I get a little water trickling down the bulkhead in a couple of spots but nothing significant. The best method to seal the bed would be to loosen the clamps if you already installed the cover, place the optional rolled seal on the top of the bulkhead with half overlapping the edge and then compressing it when you clamp down the cover. I may do that when the weather warms up here in NH but for now I get very little water running into the bed. If it stays that way I probably won't bother. Hope this helps. I see you have the hybrid. Have 2,000 miles on mine and averaging 44.8 mpg. The 50 mi round trip to my daughter's home consistently gets mid 50s mpg. Over the first 800+ plus miles I verified against the pump and the displayed figure was spot on. None of the issues others have reported on this site so far.

RWEarth

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid
thanks, mine was finally built today with spray in liner and am looking at ways to cover bed. This really helped a lot. Looking at all the covers and pictures just kept thing the cap would leak because of the sides are hight in photos.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased the hard rollup cover from Ford. It leaks. It leaks a lot. I have added extra moulding and it still leaks. Ford wants me to take it back to the dealer, and I know they probably have no parts to fix the leak. It leaks in all 4 corners.

Redbird22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Shadow Black xlt hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used the $210 rewards on the $369 TruXedo roll up cover from Ford. If you already used the money the cover is $309 on-line just about everywhere else. All the available covers reference a 4'4" bed. Well, the bed measure 4'5" so the cover needs to be at least 1" longer if you want the front and rear cover assembly gaskets to provide a seal. Positioning the cover assembly foam gasket (talking about the gasket on the rail and not the supplemental foam tacky roll) even half way on the cab end bulkhead results in a significant gap at the tailgate cover seal. Here is what I ended up doing.

1) Don't place the roll gasket on the cab end bulkhead flat surface. I did and had to remove it destroying it in the process.
2)Assemble the cab end side rails to the cover assembly as illustrated in the instructions and loosely clamp in place at the tailgate end. Had my wife at the tailgate end to ensure the rail didn't slide off and potentially scratch the side. Instructions reference use of clamps at the tailgate however I found it easier with her help.
3) I then pulled the side rails back toward the tailgate until the cover assembly underside rail gasket barely made contact with the bulkhead (bed side) edge. You can cheat it a bit more forward however you'll still see a slight gap since I didn't use the foam roll. Even then the tailgate seal barely makes contact.
4) I then loosely secured the remaining clamps (front and middle) to the side rails, rolled out the cover and latched at the tailgate end. With everything looking good I rolled up the cover and tightened the clamps.
5) Lastly, take the adhesive backed gasket roll and tack it to the bed flush to the cover rail gasket. That seals the above referenced gap.

Hope this is helpful. I'll try to add some pics.

IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0543.jpg
Would I have to use the foam roll on the bulkhead as shown on directions , if I don't have any bed liner ?

Sponsored
OP
OP

MyXLTmav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Camaro Z3 Kia XLTmav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably not. The plastic side rail barely adds any height above the front bulkhead. Adding the additional foam strip might not compress enough.

Veritech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid, 2007 MX-5, 2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wondered about how some tonneau retailer sites show Maverick tonneau for 4' 4" bed while other sites show 4' 5" bed.

Maverick advertised with 54 inch bed length which is 4 and half feet (4 feet 6 inches, 4.5'). I wondered if someone misinterpreted 4.5' as 4' 5" when specs were created for the tonneau.

Santa Cruz advertised with 52 inch bed which is 4 feet 4 inches.
Wonder if someone confused Maverick bed length with Santa Cruz bed length and used 4' 4" from Santa Cruz for the Maverick when specs were created for the Maverick tonneau.

I was looking at BAK Revolver X4s which is different than OP's. Some sites listed them for 4'4" bed while others listed with 4'5" bed. I read many people complaining about tonneau being 1 inch too short while others said they fit perfectly. I chose to order my X4s bed cover from a site listing 4'5" bed as I did not want to risk it being too short not knowing if they would be the same spec wise as these X4s are suppose to be all custom order. I ordered mine on 4/21 and still waiting for it so can't confirm the actual fit yet.

What's also odd, one tonneau retail site show Santa Cruz with 4' 8" bed.

Last edited:

DoubleDee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just installed. I may be full of you know what, but I think I may have found the sweet spot. We shall see when we see some good rain.
Sponsored