Sponsored

This might be crazy or dumb, but lowering a 4K truck?

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So go ahead and tell me I'm completely dumb if this is completely dumb, but has anyone who intends on using the Maverick for it's towing capability lowered it?

I'm not talking slammed, but maybe an inch or two? Are there suspension setups that would acheive that but still let it keep it's tow/payload rating?

In my opinion because of the size and look of the truck it looks better lowered. I'm not a fan of the lifted looks on these.
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think if you got stiffer springs it might work. But it'll lower itself with weight, which is why trucks tend to sit high.

bautek_mn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX Sport Wagon, Future Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if anyone will make pneumatic helper springs for the Maverick, something like this: https://www.trucklogic.com/series-221284-firestone-ride-rite-air-bag-helper-springs.html

There's also options like this when you're hauling, dunno how far I'd travel on these: https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Honda/Ridgeline/SuperSprings-Intl/CSS-1168R.html

Or there's the old-school method, shoving tennis balls in your rear springs before loading up the bed.
I know there is the Air Lift helper air springs, but those sit inside the stock rear springs.

Would something like that work on a lowered suspension, or are more of the setups for the Maverick a coil-over setup?

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had helper bags on my lowered F150 that worked great
I’m sure you could do the same

Sponsored

bautek_mn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX Sport Wagon, Future Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know there is the Air Lift helper air springs, but those sit inside the stock rear springs.

Would something like that work on a lowered suspension, or are more of the setups for the Maverick a coil-over setup?
I would think they'd be fine, lowering springs are usually the same general dimensions of the stockers, just shorter and often a bit thicker coil material to balance out the spring rate. The air lift stuff can be pretty simple, it ranges between more involved units that can be remote controlled with an onboard compressor to simple pillows stuffed in the springs that you can fill with a bike pump before you haul/tow.

*edit: Ah, did you mean do they make ones that would work with a rear suspension modified to use single spring-over-strut like the front? IDK if that's a thing with the Maverick, the coilovers I've seen are one piece fronts but still use a divorced rear spring.

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yep just find lowering springs with the same rod thickness and stick thair bags in em no big deal. I would keep a air pump and pump them up to normal uloaded ride height when towing though.

OP
OP

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would think they'd be fine, lowering springs are usually the same general dimensions of the stockers, just shorter and often a bit thicker coil material to balance out the spring rate. The air lift stuff can be pretty simple, it ranges between more involved units that can be remote controlled with an onboard compressor to simple pillows stuffed in the springs that you can fill with a bike pump before you haul/tow.

*edit: Ah, did you mean do they make ones that would work with a rear suspension modified to use single spring-over-strut like the front? IDK if that's a thing with the Maverick, the coilovers I've seen are one piece fronts but still use a divorced rear spring.
Actually I not, and I thank you for pointing that out.

For some reason I had it in my head they changed to coilovers on all 4 corners, even though I looked at several of the kits that clearly show front assemblies and rear springs
Sponsored