2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

(Administrator, please delete if a similar thread already exists. The search function is not perfect (nor am I) and I may have missed it.)

This thread is for all things XL. I actually like the steelies, grill and interior the best on the XL in spite of the fact that it's the base trim.

Auto companies obviously want to upsell higher trim levels, which is perfectly fine with me, but I just don't want our little XL gem getting lost in the increased XLT and Lariat content and photos.

Here are two of my favorite XL photos saved from this forum.

Ford Maverick The XL Trim Maverick Thread IMG_0280.JPG
Ford Maverick The XL Trim Maverick Thread maverick_xl_interior
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered my Cactus Gray XL on June 14. Still waiting patiently to get the scheduled for production e-mail. By the way, @76Courier I had a '78 Courier back in the day.

Sponsored

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I have said this before, but I will get used to not having cruise control, as I left Texas' wide open spaces and now live in Maryland, with a turn in the road every 50 yards. As for the steelies, I have had British sports cars all my life, with wire wheels, so these steelies are dying and going to heaven as far as I am concerned.

My only "concern" is the touch screen. I am a "basic flip-phone" guy, and have no idea how to operate the touch screen.

I am confused about one thing. It looks to me like the bed has a nice plastic liner. Yet, a lot of the forum guys are talking about a "spray liner." What is that all about? Thanks in advance.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I think I have said this before, but I will get used to not having cruise control, as I left Texas' wide open spaces and now live in Maryland, with a turn in the road every 50 yards. As for the steelies, I have had British sports cars all my life, with wire wheels, so these steelies are dying and going to heaven as far as I am concerned.

My only "concern" is the touch screen. I am a "basic flip-phone" guy, and have no idea how to operate the touch screen.

I am confused about one thing. It looks to me like the bed has a nice plastic liner. Yet, a lot of the forum guys are talking about a "spray liner." What is that all about? Thanks in advance.
Bed is metal on these

You can order spray in liner or get a drop in bed liner or just leave it metal. Depends on how you use the truck bed

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bed is metal on these

You can order spray in liner or get a drop in bed liner or just leave it metal. Depends on how you use the truck bed
Thanks, Balu. Now I am REALLY confused! Every photo I have seen of the bed, it has a dull, "porous" surface look to it. Are you telling me that the bed will be the same shiny clear-coat surface that is on the rest of the truck ????!!!! Please excuse my ignorance, but this is my first truck

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
And floor mats I figure the price was low enough, add it on
I ordered the XL AWD Loaded...Tow-Pkg- Spray in Bed Liner-Moonroof-Slider-Hard Tonneau Cover-Mat-400W Inverter Velocity Blue

Last edited:
Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Thanks, Balu. Now I am REALLY confused! Every photo I have seen of the bed, it has a dull, "porous" surface look to it. Are you telling me that the bed will be the same shiny clear-coat surface that is on the rest of the truck ????!!!! Please excuse my ignorance, but this is my first truck
Depends on how you order it.

A base XL, XLT, or Lariat will have the painted metal bed. Here's a video of one:

There's standalone options for spray in bed liner (the black material you see in most of the promo trucks), a drop in plastic bedliner, a bed mat (a rubber mat that covers just the floor of the bed)

The spray in bedliner is packaged into the XLT Luxury and Lariat Luxury packages, so if you order one of those, you'll have a black bed with a material sprayed in that's designed to protect the bed and stand up to abrasions from you sliding things in and out or dropping junk on the bed.

I'm getting an XLT without the Luxury package and having a local dealer for Line-X do a coating on the bed, similar to the factory spray in liner, except I can choose to have a UV coating on top to protect the coating against the sun, or pick their top tier product that's quite a bit stronger than the regular LineX or factory spray in liner (extra cost and probably super overkill on the Maverick)

The base metal bed will look nice new but wear as you use it. I recommend a spray in liner, either direct from ford or through one of the aftermarket companies (Linex, bulletliner, speed liner etc)

This is pretty standard for trucks. Next time you're in a parking lot, look into truck beds and see what different people are doing with their trucks. It's pretty easy for me to see all of the options above in a Home Depot parking lot and see how the beds are wearing with use on each

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you compare the XL and XLT trim you should not compare just the price difference at purchase.
  1. The XL trim level will be less desirable than XLT at resale.
  2. A used XLT will sell for more reducing if not even eliminating the additional $2285 asked as new.
  3. All this putting aside the many options in XLT (for me as well the cruise control was a must..)
  4. Probably even the lease of XL and XLT will show a minimal $ difference
  5. I see the XL trim as something purchased by a fleet
  6. Years from now a savvy customer may buy it at a larger discount from a dealer that wants to move it from the lot.
I am writing this not to antagonize XL trim buyers; it is going to be just fine with the XL. I just hope to bring some points as there is still time to upgrade before scheduling.

Last edited:
OP
OP

76Courier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the input. IMO if you don’t plan on reselling or leasing it boils down to options. The options (or lack of options on the XL) are designed to persuade customers to jump up trim levels.

I don’t think Ford wants to sell that many XLs. They exist so that Ford can show a low entry price. I do agree that this will be the volume Fleet trim level and I also suspect that XLs will be rare on dealer lots because of the low mark up. But if you are interested in a stripped down basic small truck, the XL is a screaming deal.