Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So is the intercooler in front of the of the whole radiator or just the lower part behind the bumper?
In the pic I posted earlier, the intercooler is laying on the ground. Everything you see on the truck in the background is your radiator.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Air to Air in a Maverick. Rock strike on an ATA is not going to leave you stranded.
In the pic I posted earlier, the intercooler is laying on the ground. Everything you see on the truck in the background is your radiator.
Thanks much, so it appears that the radiator is exposed to rocks dinging it after you get it all put back together. Curious to why you have it all disassembled ~~~~ if you don't want to answer that, that's fine. But I do appreciate your help though

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks much, so it appears that the radiator is exposed to rocks dinging it after you get it all put back together. Curious to why you have it all disassembled ~~~~ if you don't want to answer that, that's fine. But I do appreciate your help though
thats not my pic. That is from CVF Performance. The person who posted the pic is installing a larger intercooler.

You want your intercooler to catch as much fresh air as possible to help cool the air from the turbo. Most will leave it fully exposed. You really dont want to put things in front of it, it prevents the air from getting through. You will probably never notice any performance loss by putting that screen up if you are just driving your Mav as your daily driver. But if you want the best performance possible, it needs all the air it can get.

Ford Maverick The "fins" behind grill of 2024 XLT? z39Capture.PNG

Ford Maverick The "fins" behind grill of 2024 XLT? z38Capture.PNG

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thats not my pic. That is from CVF Performance. The person who posted the pic is installing a larger intercooler.

You want your intercooler to catch as much fresh air as possible to help cool the air from the turbo. Most will leave it fully exposed. You really dont want to put things in front of it, it prevents the air from getting through. You will probably never notice any performance loss by putting that screen up if you are just driving your Mav as your daily driver. But if you want the best performance possible, it needs all the air it can get.

z39Capture.PNG

z38Capture.PNG
I see you have an EcoBoost; I have a XLT Hybrid.
So am I correct in assuming that the Hybrid doesn't have an intercooler? Because it looks like just radiator showing on mine ( still can't get pic to upload) thanks

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Since these fins appear very fragile and are exposed to road debris getting thru grill, does anyone know of a part # or item to attach between grill and fins to keep damage to a minimum without affecting performance? Seems like one or two marble sized rocks could do some major damage. Any constructive answers would be appreciated.
Are you referring to the radiator fins or the louvers in front of them? If the louvers, do not place anything in front of them that could get in the way of their operation. They automatically open and close as needed, to help control the truck's coolant temperature, depending on the ambient air temperature and gasoline engine temperature.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Radiator fins~~ the louvers are black, but I didn't know that they move; I noticed them when I was looking at fins, but they seemed rigid ( I guess that's because it's parked in driveway?)

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ahh, didn’t know you had a hybrid, all my posts are irrelevant

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ahh, didn’t know you had a hybrid, all my posts are irrelevant
Ok SuperGo, thanks for your informative replies anyway. Each poster on forum has a little icon by their name with either EcoBoost or Hybrid, but I should have clarified my model better in my first question. I appreciate your trying to help. I'll see if anyone else has some good answers. Shakesbear posted a good link on page 1

HotRod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been driving for 30+ years and have never had a radiator fail because of debris hitting it. Sure it's possible and has happened to others, just not likely enough for me to worry about it.

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been driving for 30+ years and have never had a radiator fail because of debris hitting it. Sure it's possible and has happened to others, just not likely enough for me to worry about it.
Yeah, just started paying more attention to details since getting on this forum. My 2002 Ranger is still rolling along and it has similar vulnerability that I just noticed yesterday. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is worse than none~~~ like with electricity.

Sponsored

dlhort1955

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In a previous post an owner installed a gutter cover, and I thought that was a good idea. Then I got under the car and noticed I have to remove the bumper and who knows what else to put in a barrier. Needless to say, no change was made.

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it’s plastic it could be the Active Shutter, blocks the radiator partially to optimize engine temperature. Ford also states they improve gas mileage at highway speeds by diverting airflow. I don’t think you would notice much difference in MPG with or without.

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure you can find some wire mesh that could be cut to fit that would do the trick. Just don't get too small of a mesh pattern.

https://a.co/d/gbjlZ9H
I ordered a 4mm x 8mm and a 5mm x 10mm Rhombus pattern . One roll is 40" x 13" will be perfect but I wanted to see the two sizes to decide which will be more suitable. Thanks for your input

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In a previous post an owner installed a gutter cover, and I thought that was a good idea. Then I got under the car and noticed I have to remove the bumper and who knows what else to put in a barrier. Needless to say, no change was made.
I think I figured out a way to make it work, but like you said, it won't be easy

OP
OP

HoiToid

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it’s plastic it could be the Active Shutter, blocks the radiator partially to optimize engine temperature. Ford also states they improve gas mileage at highway speeds by diverting airflow. I don’t think you would notice much difference in MPG with or without.
I wonder how the Shutters work and if they actually are controlled by the truck's computerized monitoring or by highway travel speed~~~~ they don't seem to move any when I put my finger on them to see if they tilt any.
Sponsored