• Banned
Big question mark. But this was weird.

Sunny Dry Day about 60°F.

A) Went to Drive Thru for breakfast

B) Drove 3 miles to gas station with a car wash

C) Refueled

D) Started and drove through Car Wash in EV mode

E) Left Car Wash in EV Mode

F) Drove one block to Freeway On Ramp in EV mode.

G) Accelerated briskly using gas/hybrid - Short On Ramp

H) Hit 60 MPH - slow traffic ahead

I) removed foot completely from gas pedal, expected to drop into EV mode, but ENGINE STAYED ON at high RPM (no tach but I'll guess 2500 to 3000 based on sound)

J) This is so weird I look down to see if floor mat was stuck on gas pedal or something even though I didn't remove them, it was a drive-thru car wash. It wasn't.

K) I hit the brake pedal, I slow, engine stops, I'm in EV mode at 55 and slowing.

L) Shocked, I change lanes to far right, wait for a big gap, accelerate briskly from 45 to 60, take foot off the go pedal. HIGH RPM's continue for 2-3 seconds, then drop, then engine shuts off. I'm coasting in EV.

M) I tried it a few more times and could not replicate beyond those two "events".

Normal mode.

Is this drive by wire when you have a slow computer or computer glitch?
Sponsored

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The main question, were you still accelerating when you let off the gas? If not, the engine was running to 1. Charge the HV Battery 2. to get the coolant temp up for cabin heat. I notice the higher engine rpm when the engine is cold and the HVB is low when you first start out. Everything settles down when the coolant temp goes past the C on the temp gauge.

Now if it was continuing to accelerate when you lifted off the gas, that is a big issue and should be addressed ASAP at your dealer.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Engine was hot.
Was not using climate control.
Was first time this happened in over 5000 mile. Been driving Ford Escape Hybrid since 2005. This is new.

Also (probably) unrelated.... after I was home for a while, truck off, key out, I went to check the mats again, I bumped the turn signal stalk,
May or may not have bumped the lane keep assist button on the stalk. I hear a new tone, low res low bit video game sound; and the radio turns on.

Why would the turn signal turn the radio on without a key?

Bronson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I had similar happen to me once when I had forgotten to switch from normal to slippery mode. Was turning out of subdivision onto a 50mph road and accelerated up the speed limit. Let off the gas completely and then the engine briefly sounded loudest and like the highest rpm I ever heard. Sounds kinda like what you are describing. No idea what is causing it but I'm wondering if it will only happen in Normal Mode. Ever since then I remember to use slippery mode every time and haven't experienced it again.
Sponsored