Small Trucks in Mexico

Donaldw

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester, insurance pmt. from stolen tacoma.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having seen an occasional note in these parts about small trucks, and that more may be headed to the US, I thought to share some photos and observations from our recent 5 week vacation in Mexico. I found myself noticing what people drive. And there are a couple manufacturer’s that sell cars in Mexico despite not selling anything in the US anymore (MG, Peugeot). A quick observation: Explorers are ubiquitous. And unless you want to drive a taxi, if you want a trunk it won’t be long before your best bet is to book a flight to Kenya.

Despite having no connection to the truck industry, I tend to group trucks into 4 sizes. Full size (Tundra, recent F150, RAM 1500, etc.), Medium (Old F150, Old Chevy, New Tacoma, New Ranger), Maverick (old Tacoma, old Ranger) and Maverick Meno (the even smaller ones). I have also noticed that over the years most trucks grow.

In Mexico there are a variety of Maverick and Maverick Meno trucks. From these manufacturers: Chevy, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Renault and RAM. And maybe Nissan. To my eye Chevy and Volkswagen make trucks that sometimes look like they are the same truck with different badges, but I do not know that is an actual fact. Volkswagen was also surprising in that I saw trucks in I think all four size categories.

I’m not sure that these trucks are exportable to the US. It may be they take economies on emission systems to market a less expensive vehicle. So here are some photos. Most were taken with between 1 and 2 Modelo Oscuras from an arcaded cafe bar overlooking the town square of Tapalpa.

Here is one of the VW’s. This is getting near Medium
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1947

Here is a Chevy, Maverick size. There are VW’s that look really similar, right down to the step in front of the rear wheel. Similar in size to our stolen 2001 Tacoma extra cab. There are different emblems on the tailgate. I think that is because some are geared to the Mexican market. There is an F150 clone called a Lobo also
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1947
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1938
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1940
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1943
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1953
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1950
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1951
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1926
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1958
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1957
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1941
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1942
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1938

Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1940

And here is a VW
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1943

Here’s another Chevy. This is getting to be Maverick territory.
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1953

And here’s the RAM. Also Maverick territory.
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1950

Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1951

Here’s a VW extra cab.
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1926

And here is a Renault. Also Maverick territory.
Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1958

Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1957

And finally, It appears Ford got wind of what we were doing, so they hired a professional driver and flashed us with this. A Lariat I believe and maybe the color of our upcoming XLT.

Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1941

Ford Maverick Small Trucks in Mexico IMG_1942
Sponsored

OP
OP

Donaldw

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester, insurance pmt. from stolen tacoma.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
on review, it is not as I submitted. Don't know how to correct. Some photos are in out of order and ore than once, and some notes are omitted.

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost