Threads
Reaction score
Website
wookiesinthewoods.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick, 19 Cayman GTS
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So like a lot of you, been chasing down some annoying NVH issues. I get that it's a cheap truck and going to have a rattle here and there, which I'm OK with, but when it's a metallic or disconcerting noise other than cheap plastics rattling around, I can't take it.

So about 2 months ago at about 4 months old and 2k miles, developed a rattle that would sound metallic in nature, like a screwdriver tapping on a body panel. Would come and go. Bunch of threads on the forum here citing the rear seat latch, C pillar, rear glass, door rattles, etc. But never found anyone with the same issue as mine described.

Had people drive me around, sounded for sure like it was coming from the rear drivers door handle area or the striker for the rear door. By dumb luck I was getting one of my kids out of the car last night and was able to reproduce the sound while the car wasn't in motion when I leaned on the headrest to grab something they dropped.

Turns out it was the 2 nuts that hold the rear seat folding mechanism in place. Got the stethoscope out and had the wife rock the rear seat and sure enough that was the sound.

Did more work than I needed to, but here's a few pics if someone else runs into similar sound.

Here are the 2 bolts that hold the rear seat bracket to the body. 15mm, deeper socket required. Mine I think were either over tight, or just settling from initial assembly as they are bolts that go on threaded studs that are dipped/painted as part of the unibody process before assembly. The entire mounting plate is just metal to metal as well. Knowing of similar mounting on my VWs, there's some of that softer body sealant type material to hold the rear seats in on those.

Took quite a bit of force to loosen, jiggled the rear seat around, then retightened to ~60ft/lbs which should be plenty. But now that I know it's just that little panel to pop off to get access to the 2 bolts, if the noise ever comes back it's a 30 second diag/ adjust the nuts.

Ford Maverick Rear Seat/Door Rattle Fixed (Finally!) with some pics/info YWRPP1dl

The panel that covers these (I removed the side mechanism bracket as well in the pic above but that was not necessary once I pinpointed the sound 100%)

It's just held on by 2 panel clips, pop the bottom then the top and it comes right off and slides along a track/slot near the top.

Ford Maverick Rear Seat/Door Rattle Fixed (Finally!) with some pics/info LGXgyjGl

I also have the dreaded windshield rattle in colder weather but already talking to Ford about that.
Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have this noise at the driver rear door as well, will try this, but the noise only comes with speeds above 63 mph.