Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Gray car on a gray road, early the the morning
So when the sun isn't all the way up... guess screw the people behind you since you only have drl on.
Sponsored

SoonerBrink

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So when the sun isn't all the way up... guess screw the people behind you since you only have drl on.
How many cars are going in reverse at 45 mph toward when you turn out onto a main street?

Gray cars are difficult to see on a gray road, without DRL, especially when the sun is on the horizon in the morning, as turning into a cross street with cars going 45-50mph.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This thread is awesome... It's like going over to Airliners.net and having an arguement over government subsidies and non-repayable loans for new airframe programs... Spirited discussion.

As I get older... I find I'm using the lights more often... and I appreciate when other folks are using theirs.... Grabs my attention.... as I age, everything is just that much dimmer... So blame me... the mid-fifties guy with waning eye sight for the gov't mandated DRLs....

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How many cars are going in reverse at 45 mph toward when you turn out onto a main street?

Gray cars are difficult to see on a gray road, without DRL, especially when the sun is on the horizon in the morning, as turning into a cross street with cars going 45-50mph.
And if the sun is coming over the horizon that means it is dark behind you, which means you should have headlights on which means the rear lights are on.

SoonerBrink

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not talking about the car I am driving. I am talking about the other car. Either way there is enough sun for the auto headlights not to be on and DRL should be on if the car has it. Depending how where and how high the sun is, it can be difficult to see a gray truck on a gray road. There is a reason some countries require DRL by law.

Sponsored

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am not talking about the car I am driving. I am talking about the other car. Either way there is enough sun for the auto headlights not to be on and DRL should be on if the car has it. Depending how where and how high the sun is, it can be difficult to see a gray truck on a gray road. There is a reason some countries require DRL by law.
So screw the vehicle behind you when the sun is coming over the horizon, because they can't see a gray vehicle on a gray road. No need for taillights to be on.

SoonerBrink

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This thread is awesome... It's like going over to Airliners.net and having an arguement over government subsidies and non-repayable loans for new airframe programs... Spirited discussion.

As I get older... I find I'm using the lights more often... and I appreciate when other folks are using theirs.... Grabs my attention.... as I age, everything is just that much dimmer... So blame me... the mid-fifties guy with waning eye sight for the gov't mandated DRLs....
I am in my 30's and have chronic cornea issues. Hopefully I don't need a trans

I hear ya!

There are plenty of examples of my DRLs are needed.. there are all kinds of scenarios where people can see fine without headlights, but other people can't see them. Morning, evening, overcast, glancing in the rearview mirror to change lanes (think a gray car on a gray road is going to be easier to see with DRLs on in that side mirror?) And it is a lot more dangerous when both cars are approaching each other at 40-50 mph, versus approaching a car on a parked street or brake lights coming on when a moving car slows down.

I think the mavericks auto headlights aren't sensitive enough. I have noticed mine take a long time to turn on, as well as some other newer Toyotas I observe on the road. Most other brands seem to come of before.

There are reasons why more mfgs add DRL, and a reason many countries require them by law.

Also, some of us have eye issues which affect driving..... I am in my 30s with cornea issues... hopefully they find a cure.... or the transplant is successful if/when the time comes. Until then... my $1600 per pair contacts are my only saving grace that allows me to drive.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For some reason, a segment of American's are hellbent on being less safe whenever possible.
Yeah especially with the use of cell phones while driving.
Sponsored