Sponsored

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2021 Expedition, 1993 T-bird
Nice! I thought about going to them since its not crazy far away. 5 star had a great F150 tune though so I went back to them
BCB did a good job, had a F150 from them and liked too.

How much have you done with the turbo and intercooler?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm waiting on my couplers still, those are taking forever to get in. I'm also limited on time. Hopefully I can mess with it on Sunday, that's about the only free time I have this week.

I did try to upload the other two tunes, but they weren't as strong as the 93 tune, so there is a lot to be made up for with my tunes. I'll have to get some datalogging done and hopefully get some revisions in to get it down to where it should be. Others are running 13.80s or 90s, where I'm a half second behind and 4-5mph slower.

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm waiting on my couplers still, those are taking forever to get in. I'm also limited on time. Hopefully I can mess with it on Sunday, that's about the only free time I have this week.

I did try to upload the other two tunes, but they weren't as strong as the 93 tune, so there is a lot to be made up for with my tunes. I'll have to get some datalogging done and hopefully get some revisions in to get it down to where it should be. Others are running 13.80s or 90s, where I'm a half second behind and 4-5mph slower.
Are the couplers for the intercooler?

Not sure what the 1/4 time is but on 93 performance tune it pins you in the seat.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, the couplers are needed to go from the 2.75" intercooler inlet/outlet, to the factory hoses, which are 2.25, according to the intercooler thread I was mimicking. You also have to get 2.25" to 2.25" joiners to connect the silicone connector to the soft rubber factory hoses. I placed an order for all of these 10 days ago, and it looks like USPS is being quite the normal government agency on getting them to me....

I did a dragy pass last night with the 91 octane tune, and managed a 14.26@92mph, with a terrible DA, so I'm even more confused as to why with a good DA the 93 octane tune only ran a 14.31@93.

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at the lines that connections to the turbo? I'm wondering if they are long enough or will need a fitting change.

As for intercoolers I have not done anything yet, hoping to get one made for my but BCB if I buy the core.

What are your thoughts on the transmission? I know you have a cooler with the 4K but are have you found anywhere that is selling upgraded frictions and steels? I reach out to Raybestos as they make OEM style replacements but are not willing at this time to do any of their upgraded materials.

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dueces, great post. Thanks for detailing your mods and the results. This information is extremely helpful. Can't wait to see your final results when you get through...but then do we ever really get through?

Your comment about faster runs as it cools down at night reminds me of my old ET Drag Racing back in the 70s. If you didn't allow for cooler temps at night then you certainly would bust your calculated ET. But if you did allow for cooler temps at night, then you might not be around to get better runs. It was a true balancing act but loads of fun.

Looking forward to more posts. Again Thanks! :cool:

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you looked at the lines that connections to the turbo? I'm wondering if they are long enough or will need a fitting change.

As for intercoolers I have not done anything yet, hoping to get one made for my but BCB if I buy the core.

What are your thoughts on the transmission? I know you have a cooler with the 4K but are have you found anywhere that is selling upgraded frictions and steels? I reach out to Raybestos as they make OEM style replacements but are not willing at this time to do any of their upgraded materials.
So, I am making an assumption that the 2.3T and the 2.0T use the exact same block (or VERY similar). Judging by the pictures of the oil feed and return lines, this appears to be the case. The Ranger turbo looks to sit about 1" higher than the Maverick turbo, due to a shorter twinscroll inlet from the head. This will bring with it a few issues all around. 1, we will most likely need the oil feed and return lines from the Ranger for exact fit, and those are somewhat backordered at the dealers. 2, plumbing will change slightly. Hopefully there is enough room underneath to raise the downpipe the 1 inch without having to modify it. Same for the intake side, which I believe will be easier to work with. 3, the Electronic Wastegate Actuator electrical connector is on top of the turbo, where on the maverick it is on the bottom. Again, making the assumption that the connector uses the same pinout, this may need the wires to be extended, or unsheathed and rerouted.

I wanted to find pieces that already are in production for things like the intercooler, as to not have delays on parts. If you get a custom one made, that will be bad ass!

The trans is a total mystery. I do not believe it was only designed to handle 258lbft, as from what I can tell from my research, they use the same trans on the Corsair 2.3T, which has 310lbft. Also I still have yet to hear of a failure, and I know there are a few out there tuned, making decent power. However, if you look at my second post, I posted a picture of how the driveshaft necks down to .865", which seems crazy to me! Time will tell what breaks first!

John

Last edited:

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the wastegate I had thought of trying to swap the Mav to the Ranger. That would allow for the same control as current tunes but fitment will need to be figured out...... might be getting my hopes up right now just to have them smashed but we will find out.

I know of a place in MI that I can get the fittings from, same place as the turbo I bought, if you have interest they are call M97 Auto Parts.

As for the downpipe I was thinking about your statement of 1" off, this might be where I would cut the pipe and extend it. Hope my welding skills aren't too rusty.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, if you look at your ranger turbo, you will see that the mounting holes hold the wastegate actuator at a slight angle from the actuation arm. Let's say that it's 95° instead of 90, if you try to mount the Mavs actuator on there, it would be the inverse, or like 85°. I'm sure the actuator can be reprogrammed with the new angles of actuation, but I don't know that I would want to go that route without being on a dyno to get it perfect.

The actual actuation between the two should be the same, but again this is all speculation at this point.

I might do some messing with it tonight, take everything apart and check it out.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also I planned to do the same with the downpipe if I needed to.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, another update! Had a few free hours tonight, so I started tearing into the Mav. Holy Crap is there a ton of stuff packaged in this engine bay! It looks really open up top, but behind the engine is all sorts of packed!

I started removing most stuff on top and in the back to get to the turbo, so I removed the intake tubes, battery, and removed a bunch on random connectors and such. Getting the bolts loose that hold things like the oil return and feed lines,are absolutely a nightmare to get off! I'm not even sure how I'm going to get them back in! That's a problem for future me though....

So, on to the good news. It looks like using factory oil lines from the ranger should work, and the coolant lines might be able to stay Mav lines.

Next, the downpipe looks like it does have the space to shift up without having to add to the piping.

And the best news, is that the electronic wastegate actuator connector has all sorts of length to it, so it will reach the rangers location without issue!

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220521_190242

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220521_190818

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220521_190839

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220521_191254

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220521_213702

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice update!

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another small update. Spent another couple hours disconnecting the downpipe and trying to remove the turbo, but there was a second bolt holding the oil return on. This one is basically impossible for me to get to. I think I'm going to have to remove the transfer case to get to it. I probably should have removed it from the get go, instead of spending hours on bolts that would have take minutes form the bottom side. They definitely didn't care about turbo removal when it came to this packaging! I won't have time today, but another day I will get to removing the driveshaft, passenger CV axle, and transfer case, to get to that one stingy bolt! Also, it looks like I may not have been able to remove the turbo itself from the topside. It would be really close.

No new pics, just lots of blood and cuts and a feeling of defeat!!!

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, update time. Turbo is out!!! What a nightmare of a removal! I ended up doing it without removing the transfer case. But to take the turbo out from behind the engine, I had to take off the electronic wastegate actuator, all 4 coolant and oil lines, exhaust gas temp sensor, and the exhaust manifold bolts. After all that it STILL BARELY fit out the top!

So here are my discoveries.

Ranger turbo will bolt to the head, but the downpipe flange has a different pattern. It's close, but not the same. Compressor inlet tube and outlet tube do bolt on. So, at a minimum, a downpipe will need fabricated. In all reality, the charge pipes should be switched to hard piping as well. That I will for sure leave for another time.

Zero, I repeat, ZERO of the oil and coolant lines will work. The center section of the Ranger turbo is physically larger than that of the Maverick's. There really isn't a way around this, unless you want to tap the turbo and use soft lines to mate to the factory lines. Me either....

So, on to some measurements. The turbo sits 7/8" higher up than the Maverick's stock unit, and like I said previously, the electrical connector to the EWA has plenty of length to plug into the Ranger's EWA.

As far as the stock turbo is concerned, the compressor wheel measures 41.3mm on the inducer and 55mm on the exducer. This is compared to 46mm inducer and 61mm exducer on the Ranger turbo. The turbine wheel is similarly larger as well, but I didn't take the housing off to measure.

Hope this is somewhat exciting to the DIY'ers in the group, as this will turn into a cheap, albeit laborious, way to get the Mav up to 310-330whp!

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, but that's it for now! More pics to follow when I have signal.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220523_124823

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220523_124901

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Midday update: I have emailed multiple places to try and source a Downpipe flange, and of course no one want's to sell individual components. So, when I get a chance, I may look at modifying the factory downpipe to suit the new turbo. More to come on that when I have a chance!

John
Sponsored