Sponsored

Products for better Aerodynamics (Truck Tails)

MaverickShark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander 2017
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I randomly came across a product to help reduce the amount of drag on the tailgate of any truck to add about 2 mpg. The product never made it past the kickstarter promotion but I am interested if anyone has come across anything that would help with aerodynamics, weather it be on the tailgate, front, undercarriage,, etc.

The product is called Truck Tails. Not sure if the designer ever went on to produce any but I would have gotten them for long road trips and the convenience of how they can flip into the bed when not in use.

Here is the kickstarter link with the same video.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AND, your teeth will be whiter, your dog happier, and your cholesterol lower. I would love to see the facts behind that 2 mpg claim.

not null

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting.
How about putting the tailgate at half mast and some plywood to make a top

OP
OP
MaverickShark

MaverickShark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander 2017
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AND, your teeth will be whiter, your dog happier, and your cholesterol lower. I would love to see the facts behind that 2 mpg claim.
My teeth aren't getting any whiter because I keep drinking coffee. My dog is old and happy, and this wont help her arthritis. Cholesterol is ok. Hell no I wont stop adding bacon to everything.

I know the mpg improvement will depend on how much it reduces the drag coefficient at higher speeds. The faster the speed, the more turbulence behind the tailgate.

Another option is to add a front end air dam (spoiler) to reduce air going under the truck and push the air around the sided, but I don't want to do that because I want the greater entry clearance.

Already have a tonneau cover to reduce drag. Maybe adding the the tailgate spoiler and cabin spoiler will also help reduce turbulence behind the tailgate?

Two design improvements for the truck tails I would make is to insulate them and add a lock. Perfect place to store drinks while camping.

Last edited:

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My teeth aren't getting any whiter because I keep drinking coffee. My dog is old and happy, and this wont help her arthritis. Cholesterol is ok. Hell no I wont stop adding bacon to everything.

I know the mpg improvement will depend on how much it reduces the drag coefficient at higher speeds. The faster the speed, the more turbulence behind the tailgate.

Another option is to add a front end air dam (spoiler) to reduce air going under the truck and push the air around the sided, but I don't want to do that because I want the greater entry clearance.

Already have a tonneau cover to reduce drag. Maybe adding the the tailgate spoiler and cabin spoiler will also help reduce turbulence behind the tailgate?

Two design improvements for the truck tails I would make is to insulate them and add a lock. Perfect place to store drinks while camping.
LOL ! A man after my own heart ... :) I do love the quest for better mpg, not because we can't afford it, but, hey, it is a small planet and we need to do what we can without the Government protecting us from ourselves. I put a top on my Mav that is level with the cab (from a fiberglass shell) and some claim that that helps with wind drag. I DO know that (according to the truck's mpg) I got 30 and 31 mpg on the last two tanks, all freeway, and an hour at 83mhp, the rest around 70. Called the plastic surgeon to see if the grin on my melon could be removed.
Sponsored