Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A 12 volt compressor fridge is the best for camping. The Maverick owners manual states to not use the 400 watt inverter to run one. Probably because it's a cheap modified sine wave inverter. If you want to run a 12 volt fridge in the bed add a 12 volt power plug using one of the accessory connectors. You can use the 110 volt power brick that comes with the fridge when at home or at a hotel. Here's a link to a post showing the limitations of the inverter.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/inverter-modified-or-pure-sine-wave.5015/post-106119
I will ammend that in saying that the cheaper amazon portable fridge freezers tend to run better on AC(as long as its over 150watts) than they do on 12V DC. Its weird because it gets converted back into DC but on 2 separate models it is the exact same. My thought is that converter "brick" acts as a capacitor of sorts. ARB and rest of the $1000 crowd likely dont have that issue.

To that end the next one I buy(may be a while I got 2 working just fine) will have battery and solar built in. There is no sense in weakening a vehicle battery with overnight draws.
Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will ammend that in saying that the cheaper amazon portable fridge freezers tend to run better on AC(as long as its over 150watts) than they do on 12V DC. Its weird because it gets converted back into DC but on 2 separate models it is the exact same. My thought is that converter "brick" acts as a capacitor of sorts. ARB and rest of the $1000 crowd likely dont have that issue.

To that end the next one I buy(may be a while I got 2 working just fine) will have battery and solar built in. There is no sense in weakening a vehicle battery with overnight draws.
I agree. I bought a AstroAI 23qt ($208) a couple of weeks ago and the 110V brick runs the fridge at a constant 14.3 volts which is a bit higher than battery voltage on a Odyssey AGM that I hooked up to it for testing. I can tell when the compressor kicks on with the Odyssey because the voltage drops around 2/10ths a volt and bounces back up when it's off.

I tested the fridge on Eco mode using my small Jackery 300 power station (293 watt hour) running it 9 hours overnight and it used only 27% of it's capacity. The Jackery is 13 volt regulated and pulls 34 watts with the compressor running. Using the 110V brick it pulls 35 watts when measured with a Kill-A-Watt meter. So about the same. And not much power.

I did test compressor run time the other day and it's around 15 minutes per hour. That was done inside the house with 78 degree temp. Hotter temps will obviously increase run time but I'm happy so far. If it lasts even only a few years at this price point I feel it's a better option for me when compared to the higher end models.

Reactions: bgn

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree. I bought a AstroAI 23qt ($208) a couple of weeks ago and the 110V brick runs the fridge at a constant 14.3 volts which is a bit higher than battery voltage on a Odyssey AGM that I hooked up to it for testing. I can tell when the compressor kicks on with the Odyssey because the voltage drops around 2/10ths a volt and bounces back up when it's off.

I tested the fridge on Eco mode using my small Jackery 300 power station (293 watt hour) running it 9 hours overnight and it used only 27% of it's capacity. The Jackery is 13 volt regulated and pulls 34 watts with the compressor running. Using the 110V brick it pulls 35 watts when measured with a Kill-A-Watt meter. So about the same. And not much power.

I did test compressor run time the other day and it's around 15 minutes per hour. That was done inside the house with 78 degree temp. Hotter temps will obviously increase run time but I'm happy so far. If it lasts even only a few years at this price point I feel it's a better option for me when compared to the higher end models.
Speaking of portable power. As a test run at the beach one day. I ran my older 32qt fridge(OutSunny brand) on this lil ryobi 150 watt battery inverter with a 4ah battery. I got it almost down to temp on the 12v in our 93 ZJ then switched it to the inverter at the beach. I brought along a few batteries. I would run 110v for between 45-74 min on a 18v 4ah battery(of varying age). One day I want to get a inverter for my Ego chanisaw and whacker batteries. its 5ah at 56v. That could run for a bit longer.
Ford Maverick Portable Refrigerator/Freezer Suggestion Request 1664051877722

Last edited:

Flythesjs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2014
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a bougerv ASPEN 30 IceDrive™ 34 Quart 12v refrigerator I think it is. I’ve had it for quite a few years now. So nice to not have to buy ice, have soggy food, etc.

Last edited:

redskins5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford F150 Hybrid, 2022 mavrick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick I ordered will be coming with the electrical outlet in the bed. I’m looking for a “quality” portable frig/freezer that I can plug into that outlet. The main purpose for this unit is to have a place to keep food cold/frozen when I go shopping. Ice packs in the ice chest just doesn’t cut it for frozen foods that I purchase on my shopping runs. By the time I get home, the ice cream is halfway melted. Secondary use would be for taking short trips and having a place to put picnic items in. Occasional use would be for long trips to pack items for making breakfast & lunch (dinner out). I want a unit that is easy to move about for hauling into the hotel room to keep plugged in and easily assessable for food item while in hotel room. I want a larger unit that is large enough for my shopping but small enough that will fit in the Maverick bed under a lockable tonneau cover. If any of you in Maverick Land has such an item, that will fill my needs, I’d be interested in hearing about your experience and where I can find such an item.
I have a Ryobu 24 court electric cooler/freezer. It will cool down to a -4 if you want frozen, it runs off of AC power, 12volt car adapter or two inserted Ryobi 18 volt batteries. works great.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a Ryobu 24 court electric cooler/freezer. It will cool down to a -4 if you want frozen, it runs off of AC power, 12volt car adapter or two inserted Ryobi 18 volt batteries. works great.
Keep us posted about that one, I have been excited to see it.

Also as an update, I put our 5 year old $300 Outsunny amazon cheapo fridge in out truck on the 12v bed port. It works well and the port stays on for 90 min after Key Off. So with driving and the 90 min it keeps things nice and cold. For my wifes work days I put a small ice pack in to get things going quick, with a half hour drive to the jobsite and 90 min power on her lunch would still be nice and cold mid day. Of course if it was hot she could start the motor for a minute and give it a another 90min. If you take care of these fridges they will last a long long time. Also it sat idle for about a year and was used 24/7 for about 2 years at one point.
Sponsored