First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wondering if anyone know the process Ford uses to begin a build. Do all of the same colors go down the line? Or do they just dip a bunch of doors, beds, etc. then assemble and a mix of car colors go down the line? I guess a better way to say my question would be, do they pick a day to do all Black, then Cactus Grey's, then Area 51's? Or does color not matter?
Sponsored

lmbrjackpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 HB Premium
there was this video that was posted here of the assembly line. Just going off of that it looks as if most of the truck is painted at the same time. Around the 1:50 mark you can see that there looks to be a different colored truck right behind the one in focus on the line.

OP
OP
Meintc

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
there was this video that was posted here of the assembly line. Just going off of that it looks as if most of the truck is painted at the same time. Around the 1:50 mark you can see that there looks to be a different colored truck right behind the one in focus on the line.
Thanks. It still leaves me wondering how they paint the vehicles. I mean, is there a big area somewhere where all the blues get painted then all the reds. And then they leave them to dry somewhere? Looks like a Google search is in order πŸ™‚

lmbrjackpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 HB Premium
You're welcome. I haven't personally looked at the links in the thread but this had a couple documentary links about modern car manufacturing, might be a good place to start.

Stuff like that can be really interesting!

OP
OP
Meintc

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're welcome. I haven't personally looked at the links in the thread but this had a couple documentary links about modern car manufacturing, might be a good place to start.

Thanks again. I put this in my watch list. I wanna watch on my TV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Meintc

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Episode 2 answered my question. A very good watch for anyone interested in the manufacture of a vehicle.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They all go on down the same line. Each vehicle gets painted a color according to the color it is ordered and built during the assembly process. The vehicle bodies will enter into a small room ( paint booths) where robots will either paint a specific color or clear coat. The doors will open and close for each task. Once completed the line moves the vehicle bodies to the next booth. After the procedure iscompleted they will go into the oven. Think of it as a very hot tunnel they travel through. After the ovens they will go to a inspection area in the paint shop. They workers will inspect and take care of flaws there and send through for repaint if flaws are more than minor 'touch-ups'.
Like earlier 2-tone trucks, they would apply paper and tape near the bottom of the vehice and send back through the painting booths and apply the second, different color, paint.
Sponsored