First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok reread other guy’s double decker style idea so you get the actual truck bed as a sleeping platform. Thats doable. I practiced an diagonal pattern Sleeping with a folded over mattress pad last night. Fell asleep for 6 hours by accident in the driveway used the bed cover and tailgate up. There was just enough space to turn around knees up.
Sponsored

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I figure even those expensive rooftop tent is limited in space and I rather venture on this setup since it seems to be cheaper than having to purchase a bed raised rack, cross bars, and the rooftop tent.

The idea is to basically support my wife who's about 5 ft tall and my two young kids. The only issue I might come across is having a hard roll top tonneau cover. Might have a potentially wasted crucial space between the cover and raised platform.
I meant the plastic caps that are on the top of the bed sides. With a roll top tonneau cover the platform would have to be a little shorter in length. Also you would have to make it just high enough to fit under the cover or leave the cover opened up when you use the camping system. I personally would build it even with bed side then remove when not in use. You could make a simple waterproof cover to attach to the camper system until you set it up at your destination. Yeah the roof top tents are very expensive. The idea I previously mentioned would not be costly and would provide plenty of room to sleep. Good luck. Keep us posted on your project. I will have to wait till I get my truck before I do my setup.
Sponsored