MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, funny how this board jumps all over members considering selling their own trucks for a tiny markup, but don't say much when people post ads for dealer listings with $5k markups.
The difference (so far, may change as used Mavs become more common) is that dealers are selling new Mavs that have never been titled, while users are generally selling somewhat used Mavs, even if lightly used.

Also, something I've noticed, the "Buy my truck" posts are rarely in the correct sub-forum. It's not like posting there penalizes you, the post is just as visible as if it had been posted to the general sub-forum.

OP
OP

cajunbro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t see them often for less than $15k markup here in SoCal. If there are others around that’s awesome. If nothing else it’s an opportunity for someone in the area to check out a 2023 if they are itching to see one. I wouldn’t buy a truck over MSRP right now, but other folks may have more flexible cash flow and this is a heads up to them.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am talking about the people who have discussed selling their brand new trucks. And the fact that they have been titled is, if anything, usually in the buyers favor (original buyer paid some fees that second buyer may not have to).
That's fine, but as a used vehicle (even gently), it loses at a minimum 10% of it's value automatically, and most people don't factor that into their asking prices.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's fine, but as a used vehicle (even gently), it loses at a minimum 10% of it's value automatically, and most people don't factor that into their asking prices.
Previously, yes, a used vehicle lost value the minute you drove it off the lot. Not with the Maverick. I can point you to several dealers in the Dallas and Houston areas that will sell new one for $5K markup, but when they have a used one on the lot, it is often $7K or more markup. All norms have been thrown out the window with the Maverick. Some day it will change like other vehicles, but that is not the case right now. I talked to a dealer the other day who said they paid $5K above MSRP for 3 Mavericks they bought. It is crazy.

Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Previously, yes, a used vehicle lost value the minute you drove it off the lot. Not with the Maverick. I can point you to several dealers in the Dallas and Houston areas that will sell new one for $5K markup, but when they have a used one on the lot, it is often $7K or more markup. All norms have been thrown out the window with the Maverick. Some day it will change like other vehicles, but that is not the case right now. I talked to a dealer the other day who said they paid $5K above MSRP for 3 Mavericks they bought. It is crazy.
I refuse to let a dealer dictate norms because of "but the market", as "the market" is used to justify whatever they want, much like people justify many messed up things because of "the system" or "just how things are", while ignoring that said systems were invented by humans and are changeable.

Dealers can deny it all they want, but a used vehicle with someone else's farts already in the seat will always be worth less than a vehicle that was never titled/registered.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, show me a used Maverick for sale at this time that is being offered below its original msrp.
I never said that any were being offered as such. There is a difference between what is and what should be, and that doesn't mean that we should all just accept it as the new normal.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you show me one single example supporting your claim?
Yes.

Ordered Mavericks (ie, a specific person's individual order on the books at a specific dealer) is being sold for no more than MSRP, and often even a little bit below.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealers are not dictating anything, they are buying and selling at market rates, just like private parties that are buying and selling vehicles. Things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, this is a pretty basic concept, easily understood by my middle school students. Mavericks, new or used, are currently worth a few thou above msrp depending on location. I can show you hundreds of examples to support this assertion. Can you show me one single example supporting your claim?
Great points, but futile. When someone has their mind made up, no changing. Times do change. When I was young, I walked away from a deal on a new Ford because the dealer would only come off the MSRP by 10%, and I would not pay it. That was then, this is now. One good thing. It is a free country and everyone has the freedom to buy or not to buy PERIOD.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh? Then why are those silly people buying used ones at $5k over? Why would they not just go order one at the dealer? Ohhhhhhhhh thats right, because there are not any more orders at the dealer, those are sold out, right? I think that would be zero supply.
Zero supply? Not true. There are dealers right now this very instant that have Mavericks in stock that they have trouble moving. They're just not the popular configurations.

Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You said "as a used vehicle (even gently), it loses at a minimum 10% of it's value automatically ". So you are saying that this ten percent deduction happens automatically, but also, it does not happen. Got it.
I'm glad that you understand that I was speaking of norms.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I said " there are not any more orders at the dealer, those are sold out, right? I think that would be zero supply. " There is zero supply of being able to order from a dealer. And I find it hard to understand how you can possibly see those listings and conclude the sellers are "having trouble moving them". $5,000 over msrp tells me they are not having much trouble moving them.
The fact that they're still for sale and not already sold indicates that they're haviung trouble moving them.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So every single vehicle, heck, every single item for sale that is not yet sold means the seller is having trouble moving them? Dang, I never new that my local grocery store was having such trouble selling apples. The shelf is full of them!

At this point, you are either just trolling, well into your NYE celebration, or just the most ignorant person I have seen post on this forum.
Apples are not in-demand items that a factory that is part-constrained is having trouble making enough of.

Feel free to ignore me.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So every single vehicle, heck, every single item for sale that is not yet sold means the seller is having trouble moving them? Dang, I never new that my local grocery store was having such trouble selling apples. The shelf is full of them!

At this point, you are either just trolling, well into your NYE celebration, or just the most ignorant person I have seen post on this forum.
If you crack this case, you win the New Years Prize. Your patience is greater than mine would be. Have fun and I will catch you next year. Just think, you have the rest of the year to get through, but it will probably take longer and you will still not be successful. Have a Happy rest of the Year and a Happy New Year.
Sponsored