MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been a long time defender of Long McArthur on the forum, and I have a lot of respect for @fordvideoguy and his contributions to this forum and the general "experience" that has been the Maverick and its ordering process.

I have a hybrid on order from Chapman - but that is neither here nor there. In December I ordered an XL EB from Long McArthur. I figured I could drive the XL until the hybrid arrived and get a feel for the Maverick in general and, at that point, I had several people close to me that I could pass along this XL to at a deal they wouldn't be able to find quickly anywhere else.

Rewind a bit. A couple of months ago, a guy on this forum was searching for a Maverick XL basically exactly my build. I knew I didn't "need" the truck, so I reached out to @fordvideoguy and asked if I could possibly just hand my build off to this truck club member. Tim said that it would be no problem and we got almost all the way through the process before the guy backed out. At that point I told Tim just leave the XL reserved to me.

The XL was built March 14. On March 16, my dad was involved in a really bad car accident that left him both unable to drive for 3 weeks and without a car. So, given my experience with handing my order off to this random stranger and being told it was no issue, I assumed that I could let my dad buy the XL when it arrived. I bought a Kia Seltos to drive until the hybrid comes in and at that point will decide which of the 2 I like the best. (sidebar: Seltos drives a hard bargain)

Yesterday, April 14, the XL arrived at Long McArthur. I spoke to my salesman and told him I'd like to let my dad buy the Maverick. The salesman said it shouldn't be an issue, he'd call me back. A few minutes later he calls back and tells me no, not possible. It has to be me only or at minimum me as a co-signer. I was a bit taken aback by this as, again, I almost handed my order off to a complete stranger without issue but now I couldn't let an immediate family member buy it. Fine, that's inconsistent and makes no sense, but I'm not walking on the deal.

I ended up buying it myself, but even that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When I spoke on the phone with the finance guy, he said that he knew when I signed my sales sheet that their doc fee was $299.95 and now it is $499.95, so they'd reduce the price of the truck by $200 to honor the original deal. I got the paperwork to sign and of course no such $200 discount was applied. So I reached back out and, conveniently, $200 just happened to be my portion of the shipping fee. Of course it is.

TL;DR - I got the truck for MSRP, but the Long McArthur experience is not necessarily the TIM experience. Tim is but one man, and he can't handle everyone's stuff. But after watching every live stream, after interacting with him via email and on this board, he set an expectation for the dealership that they didn't meet.
Sponsored

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you reach out to Tim to see if he could resolve this for you? Or only deal with the salesman & finance guy?

OP
OP
MLowe05

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you reach out to Tim to see if he could resolve this for you? Or only deal with the salesman & finance guy?
I dealt only with the salesman and finance guy. Initially, the salesman said letting my dad buy the truck was no issue (which was what I expected). But when he called back, he said that the managers - which I took to mean Tim? - had said no. Maybe it was not Tim.

Could Tim have resolved it? Maybe. That's not really the point, though. That's why I noted that Tim is a single person. He may or may not be available to help every single person. So my review is fair, I believe.

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dealt only with the salesman and finance guy. Initially, the salesman said letting my dad buy the truck was no issue (which was what I expected). But when he called back, he said that the managers - which I took to mean Tim? - had said no. Maybe it was not Tim.

Could Tim have resolved it? Maybe. That's not really the point, though. That's why I noted that Tim is a single person. He may or may not be available to help every single person. So my review is fair, I believe.
Never take the salesman's word for anything. Steadily escalate along the scale from "Partial Karen" to "Full Karen" as needed. LOL.

I realize tougher to do over the phone, but still.

OP
OP
MLowe05

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In GA, we're covered with taxes either way. I can sell it to an immediate family member and them pay almost no tax. And you're right, that would have worked just fine. But the point is that they approved me handing my order to a stranger and refused me doing the same to a relative.

I'm not accusing LM of doing anything that was insurmountable. There were ways around all of it, and they honored the price even if I find the $200 suspicious. The point was that it was not as straightforward as it seems it will be if you are very familiar with Tim.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure exactly what you were hoping to accomplish with this posting? A couple minor things changed in a fluid car buying proccess and they even tried to accomodate you with the co-signing offer when they didn't have to. Sorry to hear about your Dad and wish him a speedy recovery, but it sounds like you got heartburn for no reason dealing with LM and maybe you wouldn't have reacted like this if the issue with your Dad wasn't on your mind.

fordvideoguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.long-mcarthur.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Ford Bronco
Engine
Undecided
I've been a long time defender of Long McArthur on the forum, and I have a lot of respect for @fordvideoguy and his contributions to this forum and the general "experience" that has been the Maverick and its ordering process.

I have a hybrid on order from Chapman - but that is neither here nor there. In December I ordered an XL EB from Long McArthur. I figured I could drive the XL until the hybrid arrived and get a feel for the Maverick in general and, at that point, I had several people close to me that I could pass along this XL to at a deal they wouldn't be able to find quickly anywhere else.

Rewind a bit. A couple of months ago, a guy on this forum was searching for a Maverick XL basically exactly my build. I knew I didn't "need" the truck, so I reached out to @fordvideoguy and asked if I could possibly just hand my build off to this truck club member. Tim said that it would be no problem and we got almost all the way through the process before the guy backed out. At that point I told Tim just leave the XL reserved to me.

The XL was built March 14. On March 16, my dad was involved in a really bad car accident that left him both unable to drive for 3 weeks and without a car. So, given my experience with handing my order off to this random stranger and being told it was no issue, I assumed that I could let my dad buy the XL when it arrived. I bought a Kia Seltos to drive until the hybrid comes in and at that point will decide which of the 2 I like the best. (sidebar: Seltos drives a hard bargain)

Yesterday, April 14, the XL arrived at Long McArthur. I spoke to my salesman and told him I'd like to let my dad buy the Maverick. The salesman said it shouldn't be an issue, he'd call me back. A few minutes later he calls back and tells me no, not possible. It has to be me only or at minimum me as a co-signer. I was a bit taken aback by this as, again, I almost handed my order off to a complete stranger without issue but now I couldn't let an immediate family member buy it. Fine, that's inconsistent and makes no sense, but I'm not walking on the deal.

I ended up buying it myself, but even that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When I spoke on the phone with the finance guy, he said that he knew when I signed my sales sheet that their doc fee was $299.95 and now it is $499.95, so they'd reduce the price of the truck by $200 to honor the original deal. I got the paperwork to sign and of course no such $200 discount was applied. So I reached back out and, conveniently, $200 just happened to be my portion of the shipping fee. Of course it is.

TL;DR - I got the truck for MSRP, but the Long McArthur experience is not necessarily the TIM experience. Tim is but one man, and he can't handle everyone's stuff. But after watching every live stream, after interacting with him via email and on this board, he set an expectation for the dealership that they didn't meet.
Thank you for tagging me so that I'm aware of your experience. There are things that I offer that aren't always normal like giving my youtube community $2500 off our pricing on Mavericks that aren't taken by the order placer or in your situation giving your Maverick to someone else. There are things that need to done by the order placer if they don't take their order so that we don't get penalized. That might have been the reasoning behind having you buy it and sell it to them.

The situation with the doc fee shouldn't have happened and will be a learning experience for us so it doesn't happen to anyone else in the future. We have made many changes to our processes based on customer feedback so thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will have $200 returned to you by the way.

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for tagging me so that I'm aware of your experience. There are things that I offer that aren't always normal like giving my youtube community $2500 off our pricing on Mavericks that aren't taken by the order placer or in your situation giving your Maverick to someone else. There are things that need to done by the order placer if they don't take their order so that we don't get penalized. That might have been the reasoning behind having you buy it and sell it to them.

The situation with the doc fee shouldn't have happened and will be a learning experience for us so it doesn't happen to anyone else in the future. We have made many changes to our processes based on customer feedback so thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will have $200 returned to you by the way.
You're a good guy Tim! If I hadn't purchased from a dealership here in Utah, I would've happily purchased from you guys!

We appreciate everything you do for us!

OP
OP
MLowe05

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh I have zero doubt that had my transaction been exclusively with @fordvideoguy , this would have been the best car buying process ever.

I was just sharing that YMMV. My experience was not bad. It was just that such a high expectation had been set, it was always going to be hard to meet.

I would still recommend Long McArthur. I just wanted to share my experience.

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Many other dealers would have rightfully just killed this seemingly duplicitous deal ! Yet you now complain about what? How you kept trying to make side deals? Rethink your "Damning LM with faint praise" tactic, as no other dealership has provided the free service to us than them! An apology is in order!
Sponsored