First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just saw the name "FX POOR" on another post and LMAO. Isn't it the truth??? :LOL:

Since I got my truck, I just keep adding more things to it, i.e. the lift, tires, tint, seat covers, etc. Now I am shopping skid plates, dash cams, radar detectors and converting the tailgate to keyless. At this rate, I'll probably end up spending more money on it than If I had bought an XLT or Lariat with the FX4 Package.

Now I find myself driving down the highway looking off to these desert roads and say to myself "I think I can make that". I can try and pass it off as a "lifestyle", but in reality I think it's become an addiction!

Fun Fact: I LOVE the width of the truck. Some of the trails I have driven through have brush and driving through them you get "pinstriping", the scratching of the brush against your vehicle. I cannot imagine large trucks driving through the roads I did without getting tons of scratching, not just scraping, which was the case with me.

Ford Maverick LMAO @ "FX POOR" 🤣 Brushy trails

Ford Maverick LMAO @ "FX POOR" 🤣 Rock wash side2

Ford Maverick LMAO @ "FX POOR" 🤣 Rock wash-front
Sponsored

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So who makes after market skid plate ? Or are you talking ordering them from Ford ? Do yo know the cost from ford by any chance ? I was thinking once the aftermarket makes some heavy duty ones ,some of the boys will pull off their stock ones and we could get a deal . Thanks

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So who makes after market skid plate ? Or are you talking ordering them from Ford ? Do yo know the cost from ford by any chance ? I was thinking once the aftermarket makes some heavy duty ones ,some of the boys will pull off their stock ones and we could get a deal . Thanks
Probably better to just make one. Fools will spend $500 on something no one will ever see that you can make in 2 hours and spend $150 on including tools. Jack it up. Mock up cardboard, trace onto sheetmetal. Make sparks with a grinder. Drill a few holes and done. I wouldnt even paint the bottom side just the top where it touches your body.

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ma
Probably better to just make one. Fools will spend $500 on something no one will ever see that you can make in 2 hours and spend $150 on including tools. Jack it up. Mock up cardboard, trace onto sheetmetal. Make sparks with a grinder. Drill a few holes and done. I wouldnt even paint the bottom side just the top where it touches your body.
verickman, you may be onto something there. I can’t find a skid plate from Ford or anywhere else for that matter. It may be a while before aftermarket products show up.

If you make one, who knows, maybe you may have a new side business 👍

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ma

verickman, you may be onto something there. I can’t find a skid plate from Ford or anywhere else for that matter. It may be a while before aftermarket products show up.

If you make one, who knows, maybe you may have a new side business 👍
Shipping from Hawaii would never make money. Plus my steel is twice the price here. Still cheaper than the cost of shipping a skid plate here though. Fabricating body protection stuff is pretty easy, especially if it is made to take abuse, then you can throw aesthetics out the window for the sake of protection. I always encourage people to make some of their own stuff. They will love it that much more knowing it came out of their own brain.

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could it be 3D printed from a material durable enough to stand up to off-road use? 🤔

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Could it be 3D printed from a material durable enough to stand up to off-road use? 🤔
I would imagine ABS at 100% infill is probably good enough for a lot of people, but it would take forever to print and use up a few spools of filament. Also, I don't know of any hobbyist that has a bed large enough to print something like that as a single piece. Probably faster and cheaper just to cut a piece of sheet metal to fit.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Some guys also use plastic cutting board from a butcher shop. They glide over stuff easier than metal.
Sponsored